Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Computer-free Music?

Hi Squeezers,

since this is the beginners' forum, I might ask this question, I think.

After some starting problems, I have succeeded in playing my music (collected on a NAS) through Squeezeboxes around my house, thanks to some Airport Extreme/Express.
    Just what I always wanted

However, when I shut down my computer, or let it sleep it stops playing any music. Even the radio stations are down. :-(

I thought that the squeezebox could play music without the need to have your computer switched on. Am I wrong, and if not, what can I do about it.

I work at Mac OsX 10.6, and yes, the squeezebox server is installed.

Thanks in advance.
    Carlo

Quote Originally Posted by carlohagemann View Post
    Hi Squeezers,

since this is the beginners' forum, I might ask this question, I think.

After some starting problems, I have succeeded in playing my music (collected on a NAS) through Squeezeboxes around my house, thanks to some Airport Extreme/Express.
    Just what I always wanted

However, when I shut down my computer, or let it sleep it stops playing any music. Even the radio stations are down. :-(

I thought that the squeezebox could play music without the need to have your computer switched on. Am I wrong, and if not, what can I do about it.

I work at Mac OsX 10.6, and yes, the squeezebox server is installed.

Thanks in advance.
    Carlo
    You have two basic choices:

1. SqueezeboxServer (SbS) running on your own computer
    2. SbS running "in the cloud" which is referred to as mysqueezebox.com (mysb.com)

You have to be running one of these. You're running SbS on your own computer (Mac). So when you turn it off, you get nothing. So what you need to do is switch to mysb.com as your music source before turning off the SbS. Then you'll have internet radio, etc. without your computer being on. The "switch to mysqueezebox.com" menu item is sometimes buried in an odd location in your menu structure, but once you find it, you can add it to your home menu screen so it is easier to find.

NOTE: There is a 3rd choice if you are using a TOUCH. It has a built in "TinySbS" where you can connect a USB drive directly to the TOUCH and play those songs or internet radio without a computer. But this works for some folks and others have problems. I'd suggest using either your own SbS or mysb.com when your computer is off.
    Home: VBA 4TB (2.5)>LMS 7.9.2>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4)>LMS 7.9.1>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (ethernet, Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>LMS 7.9.2>Squeezelite
    The Wild (no internet): PiCorePlayer 4.0 on rPi 3B+, hifiberry Dac+Pro, 4TB USB (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpa > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

There may also be a 4th choice. You say your music resides on a NAS. Some NASs are capable of running SBS. If your NAS can run SBS, then you could install SBS on your NAS, and have access to your local music that way. If the NAS is powerful enough, you wouldn't need to use SBS on your regular computer at all.

Please note, however, that most consumer-grade NASs are too underpowered to run SBS satisfactorily. And on some NASs it is extremely difficult to get the access you need to install additional software such as SBS.

Thanks Garym and Aubuti,

I will try the cloud thing, although the NAS-way would be my favorite. I'll check out with the experts (i'm serious) at the store that I bought the stuff.

thanks
    Keep squeezing!

Carlo

Please note that the "cloud thing" (mysqueezebox.com) will not give you access to your own library, but only internet radio and other online services such as Spotify, Pandora, Rhapsoday, etc (depending on what is available in your area).

You can play your own library iff MP3tunes is available in your area, and you become a paid member and upload your library to their servers. There are other cloud storage options, but as far as I know MP3Tunes is the only one that integrates with mysqueezebox.com at present.