Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by rgro View Post
    I suspect you're probably quite right, Aubuti, though my faint ray of hope was based on that somewhere over on the Vortexbox forum, I'd seen that Andrew (Mr. Vortexbox, himself) had gotten it to work. Ron Olsen over there said he might play around with it a bit, but I'm not holding out high hopes.....

To shift gears a bit, what is the general opinion on a hardware solution? I note that there are some stand-alone DRC and/or EQ boxes but I'm wondering, at that point, if putting another digital processor in the chain consisting of Touch/Dac/Amplifier is just asking for trouble and/or sound degradation.

Or, if one were to use a stand-alone DRC box, do you then have to eliminate the stand-alone dac and just be content with using the Touch's dac? I'd certainly be curious as to if anyone's had any experience with one (Copland and Lyngdorf are a couple of random names I saw).
    But most drc boxes i know of have digital inputs so you be using there dacs or they also sport a digital output so you can use whatever dac you fancy.

digital processing can be made tranparent, and in all cases the vast improvements you get should swamp any tiny degradation you theoretically could get from another spdiff or tos interface, but modern dac have no problem rejecting that.

my digital preamp has drc < 300 hz to fix bassnodes etc.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Rasbery PI digi+ MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Loggia: Raspi hifiberry dac + Adams
    Bathroom : Radio (with battery)
    iPad with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server Intel NUC Esxi VM Linux mint 18 LMS 7.9.2

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

I suspect you're probably quite right, Aubuti, though my faint ray of hope was based on that somewhere over on the Vortexbox forum, I'd seen that Andrew (Mr. Vortexbox, himself) had gotten it to work. Ron Olsen over there said he might play around with it a bit, but I'm not holding out high hopes.....

To shift gears a bit, what is the general opinion on a hardware solution? I note that there are some stand-alone DRC and/or EQ boxes but I'm wondering, at that point, if putting another digital processor in the chain consisting of Touch/Dac/Amplifier is just asking for trouble and/or sound degradation.

Or, if one were to use a stand-alone DRC box, do you then have to eliminate the stand-alone dac and just be content with using the Touch's dac? I'd certainly be curious as to if anyone's had any experience with one (Copland and Lyngdorf are a couple of random names I saw).
    Having used the TACT RCS 2.2x for years it is a great DRC solution. However, I find Audiolense+Inguz a better solution for a variety of reasons - not least the fact that I have one less box betwixt Touch and DAC.

Inguz is particularly useful if you have multiple systems... and it is much easier to use its EQ capabilities "on the fly" via iPeng compared to the TACT.
    You want to see the signal path BEFORE it gets onto a CD/vinyl...it ain't what you'd call minimal...
    Touch(wired/W7)+Teddy Pardo PSU - Audiolense 3.3/2.0+INGUZ DRC - MF M1 DAC - Linn 5103 - full Aktiv 5.1 system (6x LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Pekin Tuner, Townsend Supertweeters,VdH Toslink,Kimber 8TC Speaker & Chord Signature Plus Interconnect cables
    Stax4070+SRM7/II phones
    Kitchen Boom, Outdoors: SB Radio, Harmony One remote for everything.

For the limited purpose of taming subwoofer room modes, I found that the DSpeaker Antimode 8033 does an excellent job. This little, relatively inexpensive DSP from Finland comes with its own mike and is easy to set up and forget.

Guido F.
    Music Room:
    Marantz TT 15S1, Virtuoso Wood Cartridge>ART ADC>Vinyl Studio
    CISCO Router>DLink Bridge>Vortexbox Appliance/Squeezelite>SOtM Card>REGEN>Benchmark DAC2 D>Little Dot Mk 9 Preamp>DSPeaker Antimode Dual Core DRC/EQ/Preamp+CIA PS>Music Reference RM-200 Mk II amp> Martin Logan SL3 speakers
    REL T1 Sub
    Bedroom:
    Squeezebox Touch (analog out)>Little Dot Mk III amp>AKG K701 headphones
    Sony D100 amp>PSB alpha B1 speakers
    Treadmill:
    FiiO X3 Digital Music Player>AKG K550 headphones

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Leigh View Post
    Having used the TACT RCS 2.2x for years it is a great DRC solution. However, I find Audiolense+Inguz a better solution for a variety of reasons - not least the fact that I have one less box betwixt Touch and DAC.

Inguz is particularly useful if you have multiple systems... and it is much easier to use its EQ capabilities "on the fly" via iPeng compared to the TACT.
    I'm still struggling with the Windows inguz install. Got everything related to the plugin installed in both locations according to the web instructions. EQ plugin shows up as installed in SETTINGS > Plugins. When I go to EXTRAS, I see the EQ program there and can open it. And I can even grab either the bass or treble curve and move it up or down (-db or +db) and this sticks ok.

But here's what I can't do:
    1. I gather that there should be an option in SETTINGS > ADVANCED > FILETYPES to set to inguz instead of say, FLAC native or mp3 native. I don't see these options on any filetypes.

2. If I click on the Settings option to the right of the EQ plugin, the browser just churns and never shows me any options at all.

Any thoughts on what I've done wrong or what I'm missing?
    Home: Pi4B-8GB/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: rPi4B-4GB/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>foobar2000
    The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>hifiberry Dac+Pro (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone11 & iPadAir3 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, Material Skin, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64)
    Files: Ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes, TuneFusion; Streaming: Spotify

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    I'm still struggling with the Windows inguz install. Got everything related to the plugin installed in both locations according to the web instructions. EQ plugin shows up as installed in SETTINGS > Plugins. When I go to EXTRAS, I see the EQ program there and can open it. And I can even grab either the bass or treble curve and move it up or down (-db or +db) and this sticks ok.

But here's what I can't do:
    1. I gather that there should be an option in SETTINGS > ADVANCED > FILETYPES to set to inguz instead of say, FLAC native or mp3 native. I don't see these options on any filetypes.

2. If I click on the Settings option to the right of the EQ plugin, the browser just churns and never shows me any options at all.

Any thoughts on what I've done wrong or what I'm missing?
    Gary...

When you say you installed it in "both" locations are you just referring to the different places in Windows, or have you actually got it semi-functional on Vortexbox?
    Rg

System information
    ------------------------
    Main: RPI4B/PiCorePlayer/LMS> RPI4B/piCoreplayer/Squeezelite > USB>RME ADI-2 DAC > Benchmark AHB2 > Revel Performa F208 speakers, 2X REL R-305 subs.

Home Theatre: RPI4 B/HifiBerry Dac+ Pro>Pioneer VSX 919 > Energy Take 5 Classic 5.1.

LMS 8.1.2 - 1612773843 on RPI4B with 1tb Samsung T5 SSD.

Gary...

When you say you installed it in "both" locations are you just referring to the different places in Windows, or have you actually got it semi-functional on Vortexbox?
    sorry, that was confusing. No, I've only (tried) to install on Win7 machine. There are two different zip files, one is unzipped to the plugin directory under SB server. The other file is the "filter processor" and it ends up in the ...\server\Bin\MSWin32-x86-multi-thread\ folder.
    Home: Pi4B-8GB/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: rPi4B-4GB/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
    Controllers: iPhone11 & iPadAir3 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, Material Skin, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64)
    Files: Ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes, TuneFusion; Streaming: Spotify

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Leigh View Post

Yeahbut you're running all this on Billy G's operating system....I still have the Linux/Fedora issue and didn't see that Audiolense was compatible with that, either.

I've also seen some good (and not-so-good) things written up about the Behringer DEQ2496 as a possible hardware solutions.
    Rg

System information
    ------------------------
    Main: RPI4B/PiCorePlayer/LMS> RPI4B/piCoreplayer/Squeezelite > USB>RME ADI-2 DAC > Benchmark AHB2 > Revel Performa F208 speakers, 2X REL R-305 subs.

Home Theatre: RPI4 B/HifiBerry Dac+ Pro>Pioneer VSX 919 > Energy Take 5 Classic 5.1.

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    sorry, that was confusing. No, I've only (tried) to install on Win7 machine. There are two different zip files, one is unzipped to the plugin directory under SB server. The other file is the "filter processor" and it ends up in the ...\server\Bin\MSWin32-x86-multi-thread\ folder.
    Ah, I sorta' figured that, but wanted to make sure you hadn't made some sort of brilliant breakthrough. I'm sure you'll get this figured out sooner or later, and hopefully, by then, you'll still have a few hairs left on your head ;>)
    Rg

System information
    ------------------------

by then, you'll still have a few hairs left on your head ;>)
    maybe. ;-)

(at least this is not mission critical....I just wanted to play with reducing bass a bit at my weekend cottage to counteract bad speaker placement)

Yeahbut you're running all this on Billy G's operating system....I still have the Linux/Fedora issue and didn't see that Audiolense was compatible with that, either.

I've also seen some good (and not-so-good) things written up about the Behringer DEQ2496 as a possible hardware solutions.
    IME the Behringer is some way behind either TACT or Inguz as a proper DRC solution. As an EQ it's OK, but I'm not happy with it's jitter performance (I have a long experience with many bits of Behringer gear...).
    You want to see the signal path BEFORE it gets onto a CD/vinyl...it ain't what you'd call minimal...
    Touch(wired/W7)+Teddy Pardo PSU - Audiolense 3.3/2.0+INGUZ DRC - MF M1 DAC - Linn 5103 - full Aktiv 5.1 system (6x LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Pekin Tuner, Townsend Supertweeters,VdH Toslink,Kimber 8TC Speaker & Chord Signature Plus Interconnect cables
    Stax4070+SRM7/II phones
    Kitchen Boom, Outdoors: SB Radio, Harmony One remote for everything.