Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Question Inguz on Vortexbox Appliance

Since my LFD amp has no tone or balance controls, I thought it might be interesting and fun to play around with the Inguz plug-in. However, the more I read, the more daunting it sounds to get it installed and functional. I'm, for the moment, not interested in the room correction part, just the EQ.

My question is: has anyone successfully installed Inguz on a VBA (Linux Fedora) running SBS 7.6.1? And, if so, are there some step-by-step instructions somewhere that a newb like me could actually follow? I've posted the same question over on the Vortexbox forum, but not seen any responses, yet which makes me wonder.....

Cheers and thanks.
    Rg

System information
    ------------------------
    Main: RPI4B/PiCorePlayer/LMS> RPI4B/piCoreplayer/Squeezelite > USB>RME ADI-2 DAC > Benchmark AHB2 > Revel Performa F208 speakers, 2X REL R-305 subs.

Home Theatre: RPI4 B/HifiBerry Dac+ Pro>Pioneer VSX 919 > Energy Take 5 Classic 5.1.

LMS 8.1.2 - 1612773843 on RPI4B with 1tb Samsung T5 SSD.

Quote Originally Posted by rgro View Post
    Since my LFD amp has no tone or balance controls, I thought it might be interesting and fun to play around with the Inguz plug-in. However, the more I read, the more daunting it sounds to get it installed and functional. I'm, for the moment, not interested in the room correction part, just the EQ.

My question is: has anyone successfully installed Inguz on a VBA (Linux Fedora) running SBS 7.6.1? And, if so, are there some step-by-step instructions somewhere that a newb like me could actually follow? I've posted the same question over on the Vortexbox forum, but not seen any responses, yet which makes me wonder.....

Cheers and thanks.
    Instructions are here (such as they are)...
    http://inguzaudio.com/
    You want to see the signal path BEFORE it gets onto a CD/vinyl...it ain't what you'd call minimal...
    Touch(wired/W7)+Teddy Pardo PSU - Audiolense 3.3/2.0+INGUZ DRC - MF M1 DAC - Linn 5103 - full Aktiv 5.1 system (6x LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Pekin Tuner, Townsend Supertweeters,VdH Toslink,Kimber 8TC Speaker & Chord Signature Plus Interconnect cables
    Stax4070+SRM7/II phones
    Kitchen Boom, Outdoors: SB Radio, Harmony One remote for everything.

May be the cpu >= 2GHZ minimum requirement ?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Rasbery PI digi+ MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Loggia: Raspi hifiberry dac + Adams
    Bathroom : Radio (with battery)
    iPad with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server Intel NUC Esxi VM Linux mint 18 LMS 7.9.2

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Cheers and thanks.
    +1!

Would love to experiment with Inguz, but I find the Web site "documentation" rather cryptic, and seemingly out of date.

Any instruction from someone who has successfully installed it on the VBA would be appreciated!

Guido F.
    Music Room:
    Marantz TT 15S1, Virtuoso Wood Cartridge>ART ADC>Vinyl Studio
    CISCO Router>DLink Bridge>Vortexbox Appliance/Squeezelite>SOtM Card>REGEN>Benchmark DAC2 D>Little Dot Mk 9 Preamp>DSPeaker Antimode Dual Core DRC/EQ/Preamp+CIA PS>Music Reference RM-200 Mk II amp> Martin Logan SL3 speakers
    REL T1 Sub
    Bedroom:
    Squeezebox Touch (analog out)>Little Dot Mk III amp>AKG K701 headphones
    Sony D100 amp>PSB alpha B1 speakers
    Treadmill:
    FiiO X3 Digital Music Player>AKG K550 headphones

Agree. I wanted to play with this, and started out today to just use it on my windows machine to see what sort of EQ stuff I could get. followed the instructions, but never got it to work. on the EXTRAS section of the WebGUI, it showed me part of the settings, but wanted me to install SILVERLIGHT. Which I did, but somehow it never recognized this. Now that I think about it, it may be because I was using firefox browser rather than IE (and maybe silverlight is an IE thing).
    Home: Pi4B-8GB/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: rPi4B-4GB/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>foobar2000
    The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>hifiberry Dac+Pro (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone11 & iPadAir3 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, Material Skin, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64)
    Files: Ripping: dBpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes, TuneFusion; Streaming: Spotify

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    Agree. I wanted to play with this, and started out today to just use it on my windows machine to see what sort of EQ stuff I could get. followed the instructions, but never got it to work. on the EXTRAS section of the WebGUI, it showed me part of the settings, but wanted me to install SILVERLIGHT. Which I did, but somehow it never recognized this. Now that I think about it, it may be because I was using firefox browser rather than IE (and maybe silverlight is an IE thing).
    Plus the instructions about SETTINGS > PLAYER > MENU don't seem applicable because I have no "MENU" item there in the webGUI as indicated by the instructions.

Anyhow, I mainly just wanted to play with the bass adjustment at my weekend place (caused by my not great placement of my speakers, which I can't change).
    Home: Pi4B-8GB/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: rPi4B-4GB/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>foobar2000
    The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>hifiberry Dac+Pro (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone11 & iPadAir3 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, Material Skin, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64)
    Files: Ripping: dBpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes, TuneFusion; Streaming: Spotify

Ummmmm, yeah, this is kind of what I was afraid of. And, since I know even less about linux than I do about Windows, I'm really reluctant to even start until I can get some good guidance from somebody like Andrew, Ron O. or the like....
    Rg

System information
    ------------------------
    Main: RPI4B/PiCorePlayer/LMS> RPI4B/piCoreplayer/Squeezelite > USB>RME ADI-2 DAC > Benchmark AHB2 > Revel Performa F208 speakers, 2X REL R-305 subs.

Home Theatre: RPI4 B/HifiBerry Dac+ Pro>Pioneer VSX 919 > Energy Take 5 Classic 5.1.

The web gui for Inguz is broken but it works brilliantly with iPeng or the player menus
    You want to see the signal path BEFORE it gets onto a CD/vinyl...it ain't what you'd call minimal...
    Touch(wired/W7)+Teddy Pardo PSU - Audiolense 3.3/2.0+INGUZ DRC - MF M1 DAC - Linn 5103 - full Aktiv 5.1 system (6x LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Pekin Tuner, Townsend Supertweeters,VdH Toslink,Kimber 8TC Speaker & Chord Signature Plus Interconnect cables
    Stax4070+SRM7/II phones
    Kitchen Boom, Outdoors: SB Radio, Harmony One remote for everything.

Ummmmm, yeah, this is kind of what I was afraid of. And, since I know even less about linux than I do about Windows, I'm really reluctant to even start until I can get some good guidance from somebody like Andrew, Ron O. or the like....
    I don't want to throw cold water on your attempts, but it seems to me that the author's guidance is salient here. Namely, Inguz on Linux requires:

* "PC running Debian or Ubuntu (or probably other Debian-type distributions)." But you are running Vortexbox, which is Fedora-based, definitely not debian.

* "At least 2GHz CPU processor." The author also notes "The most important thing is to have a fast CPU. NAS devices or other low-power processors wonĺt be fast enough." But the CPU on your VBA is only 1.66GHz. The VBA's low-power credentials come back to bite you in this case.

So your initial question was apt. Rephrased, it could be: has anyone successfully installed Inguz on a computer with a too-slow CPU and an unsupported OS? Until such a person turns up, I think you're asking for frustration.

I suspect you're probably quite right, Aubuti, though my faint ray of hope was based on that somewhere over on the Vortexbox forum, I'd seen that Andrew (Mr. Vortexbox, himself) had gotten it to work. Ron Olsen over there said he might play around with it a bit, but I'm not holding out high hopes.....

To shift gears a bit, what is the general opinion on a hardware solution? I note that there are some stand-alone DRC and/or EQ boxes but I'm wondering, at that point, if putting another digital processor in the chain consisting of Touch/Dac/Amplifier is just asking for trouble and/or sound degradation.

Or, if one were to use a stand-alone DRC box, do you then have to eliminate the stand-alone dac and just be content with using the Touch's dac? I'd certainly be curious as to if anyone's had any experience with one (Copland and Lyngdorf are a couple of random names I saw).
    Last edited by rgro; 2011-10-09 at 20:35.
    Rg

System information
    ------------------------