Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Rhapsody to buy Napster

Surprised to not see a thread discussing this yet. As a long time Rhapsody subscriber, and fan of the underlying business model, I'm happy to see this happening.

Granted, Rhapsody's quality of service is spotty at times -- and this likely will not be seen as good news by Napster subscribers -- but I'm happy to see a sizable alternative to iTunes and the old model of buying music by the track (or album.) I've discovered so much wonderful music on Rhapsody, I just hope they're not stretching themselves too thin here...

Thoughts?

http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/03/r...quire-napster/

Squeezeboxen: Sadly, I no longer own any Squeezebox
    Controlled by: iPhone 5S running iPeng
    Server: MSI Nettop 100 running VortexBox 2.2, LMS 7.7.2
    Network: AT&T U-verse, Apple Time Capsule A1409, 5 Netgear Powerline AV200 Adapters
    Music Sources: Local FLACs, Rhapsody, Pandora

Squeezebox is dead. Long live Squeezebox!

Thanks for posting this. A couple years ago I tried both Napster and Rhapsody and stuck with Napster. Both services have their respective strengths, weaknesses, and um, idiosyncrasies. I stuck with Napster because I thought the price point (less than half of Rhapsody) was more in keeping with the service quality. I'm currently trying out Spotify, and so far think it's good, but not wildly impressive. Would love to try MOG on the SB.

I don't agree that Rhapsody swallowing a competitor is a good thing for anyone's customers. Or at least at this point I don't know enough about the deal to conclude that it's a good thing. I think the subscription model will surpass the pay-per-track model, if it hasn't already done so. But why is more concentration of the subscription market a good thing?

If this acquisition goes through, one thing I'll be interested in from a purely selfish POV is how much credit Rhapsody gives me for the 1-year Napster subscription I just renewed two weeks ago. We'll see then just how much of an "asset" they consider Napster customers.

Well, two services who haven't really heard the shot on how the likes of Spotify are changing the market (by growing their user base by promoting 3rd party involvement and spreading word of mouth through social networks). Usually I'd say they speed up their death but who knows...

It's a pity for Napster's catalog which is the best on the market (still) and I hope they do not shut down the European operations like Rhapsody did.
    ---
    learn more about iPeng, the iPhone and iPad remote for the Squeezebox and
    Logitech UE Smart Radio as well as iPeng Party, the free Party-App,
    at penguinlovesmusic.com
    New: iPeng 9, the Universal App for iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch

Well, one less service for me to try now. I've only been with Rhapsody a couple of months but am very happy with it, after being disappointed with Spotify's USA launch. I was also impressed with how Rhapsody handled a couple of support queries I had.

They have a FAQ up for Napster customers already.
    http://rhapsody.custhelp.com/app/ans...pster/r_id/166
    Sue
    "If you're happy and you know it turn the volume up and blow it out."

In Use: 1 Touch | 1 Booms | 6 Radios (Sold: 1 Boom | 1 Duet | 1 SB2)
    HP Proliant N54G | Logitech Media Server 7.9 | iPhone & iPad w/ iPeng
    Find me on Last.FM | Twitter | Rhapsody
    My Journey to Musical Bliss | Squeezebox is Dead. Long Live Squeezebox.

Quote Originally Posted by pippin View Post
    It's a pity for Napster's catalog which is the best on the market (still) and I hope they do not shut down the European operations like Rhapsody did.
    I hope so too.
    2 * Classic, 2 * Boom, piCorePlayer on Raspberry PI II B with HifiBerry attached to Objective 2 ( Head 'n' HiFi KIT) with Beyerdynamic DT880, LMS 7.9 on Odroid U3 with Max2Play, 500GB USB HD, controlled by Squeezepad or iPeng on iPad and Orange Squeezepad on Nexus 5x, CD -> FLAC = dbpoweramp, Router AVM Fritz 7490

last.fm/user/jo-wie

this is a big problem to me, i've a napster account, cos rhapsody doesn0t work on my squeezebox (7.5.0). anyone know if there are chances to make rhapsody work on SB?
    Touchx2,radiox4, Squeezebox Server 7.9 (Raspberrypi 3 and qnap ts-269)

Rhapsody to buy Napster

> this is a big problem to me, i've a napster account, cos rhapsody
    > doesn0t work on my squeezebox (7.5.0). anyone know if there are chances
    > to make rhapsody work on SB?

You need to update the player's firmware - which probably means update
    your server. Rhapsody changed their encryption a few months back.

--

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by mherger View Post
    > this is a big problem to me, i've a napster account, cos rhapsody
    > doesn0t work on my squeezebox (7.5.0). anyone know if there are chances
    > to make rhapsody work on SB?

You need to update the player's firmware - which probably means update
    your server. Rhapsody changed their encryption a few months back.

--

Michael
    ok thanks. my server is installed on qnap nas, now everything is working well, so are you sure updating server rhapsody will work fine? also, now lastfm scrobbling is working (i live in italy), do you know if scrobbling is working fine also on 7.6?

i've just read this

NOTE: International Napster Members are unaffected by this change and continue to enjoy Napster in Canada, Germany and United Kingdom.

i've a napster account but i live in Italy (i used a VPN and i wrote a fake usa address), shoud i care about this or not?

Quote Originally Posted by nervoteso View Post
    i've a napster account but i live in Italy (i used a VPN and i wrote a fake usa address), shoud i care about this or not?
    Well, since you essentially told Napster that you are in the US and they apparently believed you, I would conclude that yes, your service will be switching to Rhapsody, just like the rest of your "distant cousins" in the US.