Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Sync SoftSqueeze and Squeezebox Classic

I am having some difficulties when trying to keep the 2 in sync when playing. That applies for local MP3 and Internet radio stations.

On start, they are in sync. I was even able to keep them in sync for a full song. But was never able to do that again.
    Over time, the SoftSqueeze/SqueezeSlave is allways a little behind the Squeezebox Classic.
    The situation is even worse when playing from some Internet radio stations.

As mentioned, I have tried SoftSqueeze and SqueezeSlave - can not find SqueezePlay for Server 7.6.1.

I'm using the following versions and settings:
    Java 1.6.27
    SoftSqueeze 3.9b2
    SqueezeSlave 1.1.253
    Squeezebox server 7.6.1 on Windows 2003 R2 Datacenter Edition.

The setting Player -> Maintain Synchronization is enabled.
    On the server, the performance option of more RAM enabled

Within SoftSqueeze, the java MP3 plugin is installed and the audio buffer size is increased from 128000 (default) to 256000.

I have my SqueezeServer monitored permanently.
    Memory utilization is max 55%. CPU utliziation is max 5%
    Network stream with 2 players is max 1 Mbps on a gigabit network connection.
    The computer and SqueezeBox Classic both have a wired network connection.

The computer with SoftSqueeze is a dual core 7750 running 3,2 Ghz with 8 gig of RAM and Win7 Pro (64 bit). The java MP3 plugin is installed. Audio buffer size is increased from 128000 (default) to 256000.

I tried different settings without succes:
    1.: SqueezeBox server -> Advanced -> Network -> Synchronized Players Startup Delay (ms)
    2.: Player -> Synchronize -> Minimum Synchronization Adjustment (ms) and Network Packet Latency (ms)

Any other suggestions to improve the syncing? At least when playing local MP3 files?

Where can I find SqueezePlay for this server version?

Regards,
    Will

Generally soft players cannot be made to sync reliably with hardware players. Possibly because the PC hardware clocks for audio are not as good as SB player and so drift over time or the many layers of OS (e.g. Softsqueeze uses JavaSound which then goes through OS and then through vendors drivers) so feedback to player about which audio sample has just been played is not accurate.

In the past - any success was had on older PC hardware with very simple audio output - no DSP.

Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    Generally soft players cannot be made to sync reliably with hardware players. Possibly because the PC hardware clocks for audio are not as good as SB player and so drift over time or the many layers of OS (e.g. Softsqueeze uses JavaSound which then goes through OS and then through vendors drivers) so feedback to player about which audio sample has just been played is not accurate.

In the past - any success was had on older PC hardware with very simple audio output - no DSP.
    Thanks for the explenation!

What could be the reason that it works quite well between two PC's and SoftSqueeze? Where one is a laptop with an I5 chipset, an IDT sound chip and a 54 Mbps wireless network connection. And the other is a AMD700 chipset with a Realtek soundcard and 100 Mbps wired network connection.
    Both are running Windows 7 (64 bits pro version).

Quote Originally Posted by NogNeetMachinaal View Post
    What could be the reason that it works quite well between two PC's and SoftSqueeze?
    Chance probably.

Another possibility is that Softsqueeze may or may not (I can't be sure) implement some of slimproto (SBS-player protocol) messages relating to sync which was introduced around 7.3 - in which case the two Softsqueeze are more compatible with each other.

However syncing issues with soft players have been around for a very long time - so I don't think there is a single definitive answer.
    Last edited by bpa; 2011-09-10 at 06:23.

Solved!

First of all: thanks for all the suggestions and thinking.
    It helped solving things.

After a day or 2 of troubleshooting it turned out that there where 2 issues.

The Zyxel router/AP dropped the wifi connection every couple of minutes. :smileymad:
    It didn't really matter what the settings are.
    Or if there where other AP's working on the same channel.
    I fixed this one by using a wired connection based on a couple of HomePlug devices.
    As it turned out that the designated wall outlets are all belonging to the same power group.

The second was a fairly high percentage of erroneous packets when the network port of the broadband modem/router is operating in FDX mode. Switching back to HDX solved this one.

So at this time I have 3 SB Classics and one SB Player. All perfect in sync when playing music from a local server. And most of the time also when playing music from internet radio stations.

Where "most of the time" means when my kids are not working with bittorrent downloading music, films or whatever...
    LMS 7.7.2.
    Squeezebox Classic (3x - wired)