Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Universal remote programming

Thanks for the input, guys.

I found an old remote for my Denon receiver that when looking at the user guide can be programmed. The Denon remote requires a 5 digit number code and the assignment seems simple enough. Question is what code do I use. So I had a look at the Squeezebox wiki talking about reset (i.e. http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.ph...et_and_Last_FW). So button "Add" does a factory reset (press button and power on the unit).

Looking at this page http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Remote_IR_codes button "Add" either has a code of 609F or 069F (not sure what the difference between the two columns is). Trouble is this is what looks to be HEX and I need a 5 digit numeric number. So do I simply convert this from HEX to DEC which gives me 24735 or 01785 respectively. How does this compare to the JVC DVD codes some of you mention? When I did a search on this I get a number of codes for JVC DVD; i.e. 2017, 2028, 2047, 2090, 2096, 2097, 2115, 2166, 2204, 2206, 2217, 2218, 2232, 2242, 2283, 2359, 2360, 2361, 2362, 2364, 2365, 2366, 2367. None of these codes compare with the "Add" button mentioned earlier.

I tried assigning 24735, 01785 and a number of the JVC DVD codes listed - none of which works to force a factory reset. Now it's entirely possible that the IR receiver on the classic (it's one of the first v3 branded "Slim Devices") is broken but before I go down that path I'd like to verify whether I'm at the right path above with my attempts at programming my remote.

I suggest trying to reprogram one of the Denon buttons to the code of a device that you know works - e.g. Your TV (if you can find a code for it).
    If that works then you know that the basic approach is correct.
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author Radio France (FIP etc) plugin

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Webster View Post
    I suggest trying to reprogram one of the Denon buttons to the code of a device that you know works - e.g. Your TV (if you can find a code for it).
    If that works then you know that the basic approach is correct.
    Good idea. I tried to program the code for my TV and it worked. Trouble is the remote appears to only accept certain codes which brings me back to the above point. What code do I use? 24735, 01785 or some code for JVC DVDs?

On a totally different approach I saw remotes for Squeezebox Boom which has a '+' button (I believe this is the Add button on the Classic remote. Could that work?

Quote Originally Posted by backball View Post
    Good idea. I tried to program the code for my TV and it worked. Trouble is the remote appears to only accept certain codes which brings me back to the above point. What code do I use? 24735, 01785 or some code for JVC DVDs?

On a totally different approach I saw remotes for Squeezebox Boom which has a '+' button (I believe this is the Add button on the Classic remote. Could that work?
    All Squeezebox remotes are interchangeable, the Boom remote will work fine with the Classic. You don't get the numeric buttons though, so if you need to input your SSID/password etc., you'll need to scroll through the letters/numbers.

Good luck.
    Server - LMS 7.9.2 Pi4B 4GB/pCP 6.0.0-b7 18K library, playlists & LMS cache on SSD (ntfs)
    Study - Pi3B+/pCP 5.0.0/pi screen/HiFiBerry DAC+/jivelite,
    Lounge - Pi2/pCP 5.0.0 > HiFiBerry DIGI+ > AudioEngine DAC1 > AVI DM5
    Dining Room - Squeezebox Boom
    Garage - Pi3B/Pi screen/HiFiBerry DAC+/pCP 5.0.0 > Edifier R980T

Spares - 2xTouch, 1xSB3, 1xRadio, 6xRPi

Quote Originally Posted by kidstypike View Post
    All Squeezebox remotes are interchangeable, the Boom remote will work fine with the Classic. You don't get the numeric buttons though, so if you need to input your SSID/password etc., you'll need to scroll through the letters/numbers.

Good luck.
    Thanks. May have to go down that route

According to the Slimdevices wiki ... be careful with the Boom remote and the repeated +

Why we prefer to have the complete IR code repeated over and over again
    To do a factory reset on SB3, TR or Boom we ask the user to press and hold the add (+) key while powering up the device. Now if you use a SB3/TR remote the add key code is received as soon as the device is able to read from the IR receiver and all is good, a factory reset is done.

However if a Boom remote is used the only code the device 'sees' when it is ready, is the special repeat code which does not tell about what key was actually pressed and held and no factory reset is done.
    Which I interpret to mean that if using a Boom remote to perform the "+" reset then press the key frequently rather than simply holding it down.
    Paul Webster

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Webster View Post
    According to the Slimdevices wiki ... be careful with the Boom remote and the repeated +

Which I interpret to mean that if using a Boom remote to perform the "+" reset then press the key frequently rather than simply holding it down.
    Thanks. Will take that into account if I have to try this...

Also - when you made it control your TV did you enter a code for the TV as a whole or just for 1 button?
    Usually when working with programmable remotes you enter a code for the other device as a whole and if it already has it in its firmware then it maps all of the appropriate keys and you press a device selection button to switch to them.

From https://denon.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/75 ... I interpreted that to mean that unless you go into the learning function and teach it each code from another device then it is a device spec that is needed not a key spec.
    Paul Webster

The Remote from Squeezebox Touch Will also work.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Rasbery PI digi+ MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Loggia: Raspi hifiberry dac + Adams
    Bathroom : Radio (with battery)
    iPad with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server Intel NUC Esxi VM Linux mint 18 LMS 7.9.2

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Quote Originally Posted by Mnyb View Post
    The Remote from Squeezebox Touch Will also work.
    Some progress:
    * Received the Boom remote and was able to get the Squeezebox Classic into factory reset
    * Configured network (Ethernet) and the box got an IP address
    * I'm stuck at the "Software update" section. I need to press and hold the "brightness" button which of course I don't have on a Boom remote

Is there a way to now use Net-UDAP?
    I have both a compiled version for Windows (Aug 2014, 1,373KB) and a version running on Perl; I can start the shell but both versions throw some error messages when I try the command 'discover'
    What state does the SB Classic have to be in for this discovery to work or can't I use Net-UDAP for this box?