Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
    MrSinatra

VA wiki page a disgrace!

hey all,

this page is a disgrace!

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.ph...usArtistsLogic

i think it needs seriously revamped and just totally rewritten. some info is just insanely wrong, like the user saying the TREAT TPE2 option somehow matters to his FLACs! (maybe he has id3 in them??)

so i am suggesting we basically delete everything there, and use something like this, and i am posting here b/c i want people to improve what i'm suggesting, so please help out!

proposed:

Squeezebox Server, or Logitech Media Server, both use an internal logic to determine if something scanned in is a compilation or not.

This internal logic is only triggered if a given album has one or more 'artist mismatches' between tracks, and no ALBUMARTIST tags, and no explicit COMPILATION tags.

otherwise:

If a file has explicit 'COMP=1' tags the server recognizes, it will ALWAYS be classified as a comp/VA album.

If a file has explicit 'COMP=0' tags the server recognizes, it will NEVER be classified as a comp/VA album.

If a file has explicit 'ALBUMARTIST' tags the server recognizes, it will NEVER be classified as a comp/VA album, UNLESS it ALSO has COMP=1 tags.

for id3 tag type files, like mp3 and wma, the comp frame used is either TCMP or TXXX COMPILATION. TPE2 or TXXX ALBUMARTIST or TXXX ALBUM ARTIST for ALBUMARTIST values. in the server settings, you want to be sure the server is "treating" the TPE2 value the way you want it to. (it can represent either 'album artist' or 'band' but the default is 'album artist' and thats the de facto standard that all apps use basically, so thats recommended)

for Vorbis tag type files, like FLAC and Ogg, the field used for comps is just COMPILATION, and ALBUMARTIST (or ALBUM ARTIST) for, you guessed it, ALBUMARTIST.

NOTES:

be sure to look at the other options in the server for compilation handling, but strictly speaking, the VA logic is separate from those other options. the VA logic is essentially covered above, and its purpose is to just classify something as a comp, or not, to the server. how that classification is then handled and employed, is a separate matter.

As a practical matter, its a good idea to rescan after tag changes, but rescanning for "new and changed" music does not always work so it is better to "clear library and rescan everything" and even better to just stop slimserver, delete the cache, and restart, scanning from scratch.

While supported, it is not typical or recommended to use Comp=0 tags, they are almost never necessary. they often produce unexpected results or undesired behavior. [someone please describe here the justified usage case. i think it has something to do with files from the same album in different folders and the greatest hits logic]

please note that if you don't see your comps under Home>Artists>Various Artists it is likely due to bug 9523:

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=9523

...and the best fix for bug 9523 is bug 15604:

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=15604

please show your support and vote for those bugs!
    Last edited by MrSinatra; 2011-08-31 at 16:58.

feel free to edit. Just sign up and go ahead. All improvements are welcome.
    sent from a computer using a keyboard

Suggestion...

Whenever you find yourself writing if-then-elsif clauses, and the data essentially remains the same, use a table. Humans read his better than trying to turn their brains into logic / flow evaluators.

Otherwise, pull out all the common phrases into a leading text, and itemize *only* the differences.

great idea. suggestion, it seems that in most (all?) cases it is better to have NO comp tag rather than a COMP=0 tag. Could we add some sort of statement to that effect.
    Home: Pi4B-8GB/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: rPi4B-4GB/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>foobar2000
    The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>hifiberry Dac+Pro (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone11 & iPadAir3 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, Material Skin, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64)
    Files: Ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes, TuneFusion; Streaming: Spotify

MrSinatra
    Quote Originally Posted by fragfutter View Post
    feel free to edit. Just sign up and go ahead. All improvements are welcome.
    i'm already signed up. i plan to do it, but i wanted to vet the proposal first, esp since i want to nuke everything currently there.

Quote Originally Posted by MrC View Post
    Suggestion...

Whenever you find yourself writing if-then-elsif clauses, and the data essentially remains the same, use a table. Humans read his better than trying to turn their brains into logic / flow evaluators.

Otherwise, pull out all the common phrases into a leading text, and itemize *only* the differences.
    yeah, charts are a good idea, i'm just not very proficient in wiki.

perhaps you could help if i get all the text up there?

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    great idea. suggestion, it seems that in most (all?) cases it is better to have NO comp tag rather than a COMP=0 tag. Could we add some sort of statement to that effect.
    great point. i have edited my first post to reflect this. hopefully Phil Leigh or someone can describe the niche case where its justified to use Comp=0 tags.

MrSinatra
    ok, so...

i updated this page with the new explanations:

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.ph..._Artists_logic

and i stole some of the examples from this page:

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Compilations

and i think the proper thing to do, is make a clear delineation in purpose between the two pages. the first page should be for explaining the mechanics of how and when the server will determine something is a comp or not, and show some tagging examples and so on.

the second page should be about, imo, how the server displays and handles things it has already classified as comps. that page will be harder to write up imo, so i could use some help.