Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Stop 'Play All Songs'

Is there a way (short of a brain transplant) of preventing one from hitting Play on 'All Songs' at a high menu level, or failing that stopping the process once it has started? This applies to the Web Interface and the SB device interface on the Touch.

I am still waiting, 30 minutes later.

Hitting Escape stops the browser, but not the server doing its search and sort on my whole library.....

Inside which menu do you hit play all songs ?
    Do you approximately know how many songs it tries to play ?
    Which Squeezebox Server version are you using ?
    Erland Isaksson (My homepage)
    Developer of many plugins/applets

Quote Originally Posted by erland View Post
    Inside which menu do you hit play all songs ?
    Do you approximately know how many songs it tries to play ?
    Which Squeezebox Server version are you using ?
    Quite often it is one of the Custom Browse menus (eg Works by Composer) where there are around 12,000 tracks. If I just hit the play button by mistake, rather than the menu name, then it goes off and thinks to itself for ever.

I'm now on SB 7.6.1 and latest versions of your plugins.

My Interface is set to DefaultCB, 100 per page.

CustomBrowse menus are custom, so you can remove the menu item.

Also, it's not part of ther server functionality. You can't really blame the server for something you added yourself.

Maybe you should ask for help in the CustomBrowse thread under "3rd party plugins".
    ---
    learn more about iPeng, the iPhone and iPad remote for the Squeezebox and
    Logitech UE Smart Radio as well as iPeng Party, the free Party-App,
    at penguinlovesmusic.com
    New: iPeng 9, the Universal App for iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch

Quote Originally Posted by pippin View Post
    CustomBrowse menus are custom, so you can remove the menu item.

Also, it's not part of ther server functionality. You can't really blame the server for something you added yourself.

Maybe you should ask for help in the CustomBrowse thread under "3rd party plugins".
    I wasn't "blaming" anyone, just curious to see if there way of helping me avoid a problem that's hit me a few times.

Since I almost always use Custom Browse I hadn't appreciated that the possibility of messing up is somewhat greater with those menus than with the standard SB ones (which don't provide a 'Play All'option at the top level). On doing a few more functional tests I also find it's mainly in the web interface that it's too easy for the mouse to stray. With the Touch interface it's somewhat harder to select 'Play All' for a selected menu item.

Removing the Custom Browse menus is not an option. For me, SB is almost unusable without them. I'll work out if I can see a way to restrict the options at the higher level menus. If not I'll ask in the 3rd party plugin forum.

Quote Originally Posted by PasTim View Post
    I wasn't "blaming" anyone, just curious to see if there way of helping me avoid a problem that's hit me a few times.

Since I almost always use Custom Browse I hadn't appreciated that the possibility of messing up is somewhat greater with those menus than with the standard SB ones (which don't provide a 'Play All'option at the top level). On doing a few more functional tests I also find it's mainly in the web interface that it's too easy for the mouse to stray. With the Touch interface it's somewhat harder to select 'Play All' for a selected menu item.

Removing the Custom Browse menus is not an option. For me, SB is almost unusable without them. I'll work out if I can see a way to restrict the options at the higher level menus. If not I'll ask in the 3rd party plugin forum.
    Would the problem be solved if I removed the "Play all" item on all top level Custom Browse menus ?

The problem can still occur on lower level depending on your library size and menu configuration but removing it from the top level would probably not cause any harm as it's often not working properly anyway.

The other option, which also might work, is to limit the number of played tracks to the "Maximum Playlist Length" setting in "SBS Settings/Advanced/Performance", at least as long as the user doesn't raise this to a lot higher value than the defult (500).
    Erland Isaksson (My homepage)
    Developer of many plugins/applets

Quote Originally Posted by PasTim View Post
    I didn't mean removing the custom browse menu but the "Play All" option on the Custom Browse menus.

Also, a workable workaround could be to reduce the maximum number of tracks in the current playlist ("Settings->Advanced->Performance"). I always thought that the default of 500 was safe but if it's not on your system you could reduce it.
    ---
    learn more about iPeng, the iPhone and iPad remote for the Squeezebox and
    Logitech UE Smart Radio as well as iPeng Party, the free Party-App,
    at penguinlovesmusic.com
    New: iPeng 9, the Universal App for iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch

Quote Originally Posted by erland View Post
    Would the problem be solved if I removed the "Play all" item on all top level Custom Browse menus ?

The problem can still occur on lower level depending on your library size and menu configuration but removing it from the top level would probably not cause any harm as it's often not working properly anyway.

The other option, which also might work, is to limit the number of played tracks to the "Maximum Playlist Length" setting in "SBS Settings/Advanced/Performance", at least as long as the user doesn't raise this to a lot higher value than the defult (500).
    I tried limiting the playlist length, not being sure if it applies to CB or not. I stopped & restarted to make sure it was saved properly. I then ensured at least some items had been read into memory once by selecting the menu item normally (this is sometimes a bit slow the first time after start-up). I then selected 'Play All' for 'Works by Composer' (but it could have been any of the CB items) where there are around 12,000 tracks. It made no difference for me.

If you could limit the list to the "Maximum Playlist Length" that would help, and would protect all menu levels. but please don't go out of your way. I'm sure there are better uses of your time :-)

If I have to I can stop & restart the server manually - it is, after all, my mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by pippin View Post
    I didn't mean removing the custom browse menu but the "Play All" option on the Custom Browse menus.

Also, a workable workaround could be to reduce the maximum number of tracks in the current playlist ("Settings->Advanced->Performance"). I always thought that the default of 500 was safe but if it's not on your system you could reduce it.
    Thanks, but as I have said in my reply to Erland, the setting made no difference. I'm not quite sure why. I don't know how to modify the menu itself to remove the option, and am anyway loathe to muck around with someone else's very good menus.

Sorry for grave digging this thread, but the "play all" menu item annoys me too. More than once I clicked accidently on it. I have menus like Composer->Genre->Work->Movement. A click on "play all" on the composer level is near to useless (except you want a justification for going to lunch, and who wants a 50 days playlist of dozens of composers?).

@erland:
    Is there any way to create a parameter for the xml menus to hide this "play all" on the concerning menu level? Maybe like

Code:
    <menu>
        <hideplayall>0|1</hideplayall>
        <menuname>Artists</menuname>
    </menu>
    With this you could create CB menus like
    Genre [no play all] -> Artist [no play all] -> Albums [play all] -> Tracks [play all]