Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

My alarm clock

- Scandyna The Ball 2.1 integrated amp
    - Micropod x 2
    - SB3
    - (not shown) A "mini IR-blaster" taken from a Logitech Harmony IR Extender System to shoot the amp in its blue eye from afar.

The amp has a single analog input. Volume setting is digital. Controls via the remote, almost no settings on the amp itself. The mini-IR blaster thing (where Logitech really shines ?) works pretty well from a distance of 1 ft. It uses a 2.5 mm jack, you need a converter to hook it to the SB3 3.5mm port.

Power usage when off or idle is not 0W but is really low, I don't remember the figure exactly. I think it sounds really good (surely does for an alarm clock), and is a bit pricey overall.
    2 SB 3 • 1 PCP 6 • Libratone Loop, Zipp, Zipp Mini • iPeng (iPhone + iPad) • LMS 7.9 (linux) with plugins: CD Player, WaveInput, Triode's BBC iPlayer by bpa • IRBlaster by Gwendesign (Felix) • Smart Mix, Music Walk With Me, What Was That Tune? by Michael Herger • PowerSave by Jason Holtzapple • Song Info, Song Lyrics by Erland Isaksson • AirPlay Bridge by philippe_44 • WeatherTime by Martin Rehfeld • Auto Dim Display, SaverSwitcher, ContextMenu by Peter Watkins.

Quote Originally Posted by linvale View Post
    Have you considered skipping an amp and connecting directly to powered speakers? I have been really impressed by a touch feeding a pair of Audioengine A2 and the simplicity is attractive.
    I am extremely happy with my Audioengine A5s - they have more power than is needed for the room they're in, but it's nice to have the potential to move them into a bigger room someday or move them outside on a nice day. It makes for a great minimalist setup with my SB3, which I'll someday swap out for a Touch.

Related question - I am also looking for a simple amplifier to use with my SB receiver (in a different room than the A5s). I like the Audiosource AMP 100 due to the fact that it has auto-on / auto standby feature. It's also nice that it has the over-ride input so that I can also hook up my DVD player to it and not switch anything when watching a movie. My question is whether anyone who has one can comment on the sound quality. Can anyone offer any viable alternatives?

Quote Originally Posted by mattbrown521 View Post
    I like the Audiosource AMP 100 due to the fact that it has auto-on / auto standby feature. It's also nice that it has the over-ride input so that I can also hook up my DVD player to it and not switch anything when watching a movie. My question is whether anyone who has one can comment on the sound quality. Can anyone offer any viable alternatives?
    I have two Audiosource AMP 100s. One for our kitchen/dining area and another for our outside patio/deck (the amp is hidden in the basement). I think the sound quality is very good for what it is, namely, a very inexpensive amp (less than US$100). To me it sounds reasonably well-balanced and clean. Sound-wise it is pretty invisible, which I think is a good thing, especially at this price point.

Perfect, one positive response is plenty for me. I have some gift money to burn so there's not much for me to lose. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by linvale View Post
    Have you considered skipping an amp and connecting directly to powered speakers?
    Indeed. I use an old pair of the Yamaha powered monitors; but the MSP3 also look worth investigating...

http://www.yamahaproaudio.com/global...kers/ms101iii/
    http://www.yamahaproaudio.com/global...speakers/msp3/
    Regards,
    AndrewFG

Try out Whitebear. The middleware that joins the two worlds of:
    1. UPnP/DLNA media clients and media players, and,
    2. Squeezebox Server and Squeeze Players
    Download it for free here: http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver

Have a look at the Pro-ject stuff - I have found it to be very good!

Last edited by gdpeck; 2011-11-17 at 07:05. Reason: OP already found their answer.