Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Which amp for a squeezebox?

I am not new to wireless media centers. I used a roku for about 5 years. But something broke down on it. Not sure if it is the just the power cord or the doodad itself. I was not able to find a replacement for the power cord, and I was in the process of moving and selling my various other audio equipment.

So here I am with nothing but a hard drive full of MP3s and a subscription to Spotify. I'm fairly sure that I will buy the squeezebox touch, as it has an app for Spotify. The question is this: being in the somewhat pleasant situation of being able to replace my full audio set up, what amp and/or speakers should I get. The speakers are less of a question, it is more the amp. I am looking for something small, but relatively powerful. I am NOT an audiophile, but I don't mind laying down a few hundred bucks/dollars/euros for a good amp. I can hear differences in quality, but I'm not ready to lay down 1000 and more. I've seen a few small amps, for example the Marantz CR502 DAB CD Receiver HiFi System. This one is about the right price/quality range that I'm looking for.
    But here's the thing. I don't need a CD player. I don't need a radio. This is why I'm getting the squeezebox. All I want is a good amp to which looks nice and doesn't take up much space. I plan to connect the squeezebox and a pair of speakers and that's it.
    And I want an amp that is really made for music. I made the compromise of getting a home cinema system with good enough speakers for music last time. I don't regret that decision, but this time, I've gotten rid of my TV. All I want the amp for is music.
    I'm sure there must be others out there with the same setup, so any suggestions are welcome.

Thanx for any opinions/suggestions ....

Mark

Check out the Parasound Zamp v.3: http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo...umber=PAZAMPV3
    Designed for custom installations, it may not have the look you want, however.

I have a Parasound Halo A23 amp and think it's great, but at $949, it is out of your price range.
    http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=PAHA23
    Beautiful amp with excellent performance.

Whatever amp you get, make sure it has enough power to drive your speakers.

Note: AudioAdvisor only ships Parasound to the USA.
    Last edited by Ron Olsen; 2011-08-01 at 20:23.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Olsen View Post
    Check out the Parasound Zamp v.3: http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo...umber=PAZAMPV3
    Designed for custom installations, it may not have the look you want, however.

I have a Parasound Halo A23 amp and think it's great, but at $995, it is out of your price range.
    http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=PAHA23
    Beautiful amp with excellent performance.

Whatever amp you get, make sure it has enough power to drive your speakers.

Note: AudioAdvisor only ships Parasound to the USA.
    I have the parasound A21 and the zamp v.3. I very much like both of them (for different purposes of course...)

I use an Audiosource 100 with my Touch:
    http://audiosource.net/amp.php#

No frills, quality 2 channel amp with auto-on sensing so it goes into standby mode when not in use.

Three suggestions

1) NAD - C -326BEE - Stereo Integrated Amplifier
    2) Cambridge - 550A Integrated Amplifier
    3) Marantz - PM5004 Integrated Amp

All about $500 in the US, which is more than a few $100 but realistic if you want to match the quality of the Touch.
    ----------------------
    "Dreamer, easy in the chair that really fits you..."

Lightbulb Sumoh TinyAmp

Recently I bought a Sumoh TinyAmp S60. I like its minimalist approach - the Squeezebox gets power from the TinyAmp; the TinyAmp switches on automatically when there is a signal; the volume is controlled by the Squeezebox volume.
    Carsten

Have you considered skipping an amp and connecting directly to powered speakers? I have been really impressed by a touch feeding a pair of Audioengine A2 and the simplicity is attractive.
    Squeezcenter running on ACER R1600 Windows XP
    Fileserver ReadyNAS Duo
    Main Listening Transporter / Controller
    Kitchen : SB3
    Bedroom : Boom
    Bath : SBRadio
    Study: Duo

Thanx for all of the advice

I think there is a good range of choices there.
    I think that what I'm looking for is something like the TinyAmp or the AudioSource 100, though I have to say that the NuForce looks pretty nice as well.

Cool Final Config

Hello everyone and thanx for the help.
    Final Config
    Squeezebox
    tinyamp 30
    Boston Acoustics A26s

Happiness has been found