Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Problem: "Cannot resolve IP address"

Hi,

Having a few problems with my current setup and wondered if anyone had any experience with this.

Basically, my setup comprises two SB3s accessing the Squeezebox server running on a ReadyNAS duo. Until last Wednesday (the day we moved), the SB3s were wirelessly connected to the ReadyNAS via a Netgear DGN2000 router (the NAS was wirelessly connected to the router via a Buffalo N ethernet bridge). I had BT (ADSL) broadband. Each device took a fixed IP address from the router. Everything worked a treat.

Since then, I have moved house and now have a Virgin Media Super Hub. Each device seems to take the fixed IP addresses ok again. I can access the NAS, and the SB3s can play music from the server.

However, I cannot access any internet functions (radio, favourites, apps, iPlayer) from the SB3 as I did before. Instead, it sits there trying to connect, and all I get is the error message given in the title.

I suspect it's some kind of port problem on the router, but I don't know how I can trace this or what I can do about it.

Anyone have any nuggets of adivce?

Cheers,
    Rhyan

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyan View Post
    Hi,

Having a few problems with my current setup and wondered if anyone had any experience with this.

Basically, my setup comprises two SB3s accessing the Squeezebox server running on a ReadyNAS duo. Until last Wednesday (the day we moved), the SB3s were wirelessly connected to the ReadyNAS via a Netgear DGN2000 router (the NAS was wirelessly connected to the router via a Buffalo N ethernet bridge). I had BT (ADSL) broadband. Each device took a fixed IP address from the router. Everything worked a treat.

Since then, I have moved house and now have a Virgin Media Super Hub. Each device seems to take the fixed IP addresses ok again. I can access the NAS, and the SB3s can play music from the server.

However, I cannot access any internet functions (radio, favourites, apps, iPlayer) from the SB3 as I did before. Instead, it sits there trying to connect, and all I get is the error message given in the title.

I suspect it's some kind of port problem on the router, but I don't know how I can trace this or what I can do about it.

Anyone have any nuggets of adivce?

Cheers,
    Rhyan

sounds to me like SbS is not seeing your mysqueezebox.com credentials. Look at the SbS > Settings > mysb.com tab. reenter your credentials and hit "apply"...look carefully aftewards as the error message on that page is not that obvious.

Also, I'd unplug SB players, computer running SbS, NAS, router. The restart in reverse, letting each step fully start/boot before going to the next step.

Sometimes, the "can't resolve IP address" problem is due to Squeezebox Server starting before the network connection has come up on the server machine. Restarting SBS after the network is up fixes this issue.

Many thanks for the ideas. I'll give them a try when I get a chance (my wife thinks that we should be unpacking boxes after the move, rather than me fiddling with the A/V setup).

Failing that, I'm going to plug my old Netgear router into the VM Super Hub (set it up as a DMZ) and use the Netgear router to manage my internal network. I've noticed the VM Super Hub has been dropping the wireless signal occasionally over the last few days, which I gather is a known 'feature'.

Rhyan

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    sounds to me like SbS is not seeing your mysqueezebox.com credentials. Look at the SbS > Settings > mysb.com tab. reenter your credentials and hit "apply"...look carefully aftewards as the error message on that page is not that obvious.

Also, I'd unplug SB players, computer running SbS, NAS, router. The restart in reverse, letting each step fully start/boot before going to the next step.
    Hmmm....this is a little odd. I see what you mean about the error message not being obvious. Basically, I type in my username and password for mysqueezebox.com, and the message I get is "Invalid mysqueezebox.com username or password".

How can that be? The credentials work when I log into the web page, so why not the server with the same details?

I've noticed in other parts of the forum that Logitech have been doing some fiddling with firmware - this seems to have happened around the time when all my SB3s were offline during the move. Related?

If it helps, I'm running v7.4.1 - r28947 of the server, and the SB3s have firmware v130. I haven't bothered upgrading the server software, as it's been stable since I installed it (if it aint broke, don't try to fix it - I'm only running SB3s).

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Rhyan

As Ron suggested your SBS may be starting before your NAS has completed it's network setup. Try stopping then restarting SBS on the NAS.
    You can get an "invalid" message for MySB credentials if your SBS server cannot see MySB (i.e. no internet). It cannot validate what it cannot see.

The problem appeared to be with the fact I had set the ReadyNAS as a fixed IP address (I spotted someone else in an old thread on a different part of the forum with a similar problem). The VM Super Hub simply didn't like it. Changing it to a dynamic address enabled me to enter my mysqueezebox.com credentials and to get access to internet functions from the SB3.

In the end, I've set up a DMZ using my old Netgear router (so using the VM Super Hub as a modem only) as the VM Super Hub kept dropping the wireless signal. I've switched it back to a fixed IP address for the NAS, too, as I prefer it this way. It all seems to be working fine so far (and the wireless hasn't dropped out once yet!).

Thanks for all the suggestions.
    Rhyan

Glad you got it sorted. Enjoy!