Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    formerly known as Fletch

Amazon Cloud Player

Amazon Cloud Player

Is this Cloud Drive the user friendly offer of S3?

--

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by mherger View Post
    Is this Cloud Drive the user friendly offer of S3?
    Probably, at least S3 seems to be used for the storage, from their description:
    Amazon Cloud Drive provides customers with reliable, secure server storage. Each file is stored within Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3); the same highly scalable, reliable, fast, data storage infrastructure that Amazon uses to run its own global network of web sites.

Access to your Cloud Drive is controlled through your Amazon.com user ID and password. All communications are encrypted using HTTPS, so that your data can pass securely over the Internet.
    New MP3 purchases from Amazon MP3 Store apparently doesn't use up any storage space, so you only need to purchase extra storage for stuff you like to upload yourself.

Can a Squeezebox handle streams over HTTPS ? If they can, I think it would be interesting to see a Squeezebox integration with Amazon Cloud Drive, unless we already have something through the existing Amazon app that already works ?
    Erland Isaksson (My homepage)
    Developer of many plugins/applets

formerly known as Fletch
    S3, but with no bandwidth charges. So yeah, streaming this to a Squeezebox wold be very cool.

So this is basically like MP3tunes?

I'm not sure I understand the point. If your going to stream from the cloud, why limit yourself to your own collection and not use Spotifiy/Napster/Rhapsody? (especially considering, from what I read, that you will need to pay for anything over 5gb and bitrates are limited with Amazon)
    Cheers, auto.

Lounge: Squeezebox 3, Squeezebox Controller, Cambridge Audio 640A, Mission 701's Kitchen: Squeezebox Touch, Trends TA-10.1, Kef Cresta 1's. Bedroom: Squeezebox Boom Bathroom/Garden: Squeezebox Radio Car: iPod Classic 80GB Portable: iPhone 3GS 32Gb (+iPeng)

It's basically the same as MP3tunes with less format support and no available API. HTTPS streaming would be a problem too, but if it's using S3 it'll hopefully support plain HTTP as well.

Playing music from the Amazon cloud makes a lot of sense to me. There are times when I'd like to listen to an album that I own but don't want the hassle of going and waking up the computer so the Boom can stream from it. The Amazon system would solve that.

Quote Originally Posted by likescookies View Post
    Playing music from the Amazon cloud makes a lot of sense to me. There are times when I'd like to listen to an album that I own but don't want the hassle of going and waking up the computer so the Boom can stream from it. The Amazon system would solve that.
    With a simple one-time setup (simple for even a tech dummy like me), you leave your PC at sleep instead of off and then when you want to listen, the Boom (or any other SB) wakes your PC when you turn it on. It's very easy and works consistently.

Like a wake on LAN setting? Interesting. Will look into this--thank you.

Still, having to navigate up the tree to connect to the PC, then at the end putting everything back the way it was so my wife doesn't get mad at me would definitely still lend some appeal to the free Amazon solution.

Wake on LAN turns my computer on from a cold shutdown (not sleep mode). In fact, this is how I turn my computer on most mornings.

I believe there is also a Server Power Control addon that can also turn the server computer off when desired.