Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

LFD LE IV Signature (US version) integrated amplifier

Anybody have one of these or have any experience with them?? Have ordered one to try out. Should have it in 4 or 5 days. Reading the comments and reviews of LFD products, and this one in particular, leads me to believe I'm in for a treat. I went round and round between Primare i32, Luxman L-505u, NAD M3 or C375bee, and the LFD. I don't believe I ever saw a negative comment about any of the LFD kit and many seem to rave about their equipment. So finally (in order), for audio quality, physical placement issues, and WAF factor, settled on the LFD. We shall see.....
    Last edited by rgro; 2011-06-20 at 19:13.
    Rg

System information
    ------------------------
    Main: SGC microJukebox/Squeezelite > USB> RME ADI-2 DAC > LFD NCSE II amp > Revel Performa F208 speakers.

Home Theatre: Touch (Wired) > Pioneer VSX 919 > Energy Take 5 Classic 5.1, Touch FW 7.8.0-r16754.

LMS 7.9.2 - 0.8.20181005git1538738519 on a 1TB Micro Vortexbox Appliance, SonicOrbiter V 2.7.

Something was hiding in my speakers

.......it was all the music I wasn't hearing! I don't have enough superlatives to describe the sound improvement brought by the LFD amp. While it doesn't have the look, ancillary features, and size of some of the upper end units (Luxman, etc.) this baby absolutely kills when it comes to producing big, accurate, gorgeous, detailed sound (plus a real kick-butt bass)!

Gene Rubin, the West Coast distributor, insists that some of his customers are trading in amp combos costing more than 10X the price of the LFD and liking the LFD better. I was a bit skeptical of that claim at first, as sales hype, but my skepticism is rapidly vanishing.

It's extremely well made and quite compact. Dimensions are 17" W x 8" D x 3.25" H but weighs in at about 24 lbs. Front panel is really simple---almost elegant---it has only three very high quality knobs (volume, input selector, and tape monitor), one toggle switch for power, and a tiny little blue LED. It definitely runs cooler than the Marantz I had. And, if the position of the volume knob is any indication, at really serious listening levels (about 8 - 10 o'clock, depending) it has more muscle than the Marantz even though theoretically rated at lower wpc (60 vs. 70).

There are no balance or tone controls, nor any remote, so I'm back to using either the Touch remote, SBS web interface, or iPeng for "in my seat/lazy butt" volume adjustments. Mostly I just get up and give a few little touches to the volume knob which has a really lovely feel to it. Back panel has power, 5 standard RCA-type analog inputs, speaker terminals for one set of speakers, and tape input and output. A la Henry Ford, it comes in any color you like as long as you like charcoal grey!

Somewhere in my research I read someone's description of the unit (and sound) as artisinal. Very apt, I should say.

Heartfelt kudos to Dr. Bews, LFD's principal designer and, apparently, assembler (I have unit #120 according to the hand-lettered rear panel label)!

If you can find one, I wholeheartedly recommend this unit to anyone who's got a few spare bucks/pounds/euros to spend on it.
    Rg

System information
    ------------------------
    Main: SGC microJukebox/Squeezelite > USB> RME ADI-2 DAC > LFD NCSE II amp > Revel Performa F208 speakers.

Home Theatre: Touch (Wired) > Pioneer VSX 919 > Energy Take 5 Classic 5.1, Touch FW 7.8.0-r16754.

LMS 7.9.2 - 0.8.20181005git1538738519 on a 1TB Micro Vortexbox Appliance, SonicOrbiter V 2.7.

Question Question

I am glad you are enjoying your new hand-made LFD amplifier to the point that you are recommending it to forum members!

When you mention kick-ass bass, how much of that should I attribute to the REL Acoustics R305 in your sig? Also, how have you connected the sub to the LFD?
    ----------------------
    "Dreamer, easy in the chair that really fits you..."

DS..

I know the LFD is probably not for everyone because of its rather minimalist approach in terms of bells and whistles....some may even call it quirky, heheh.....but for what it is, it's a really nice piece of kit. The effort and cost were clearly put into the sound as opposed to stuff that either doesn't contribute or, in the opinion of the designer, may outright detract.

Certainly some of the bass is attributable to the REL which was good before the LFD, but the LFD has taken it up to another level---it scared the you-know-what out of Mrs. rgro last night---had it cranked up modestly high listening to Mahler's 2nd a piece she's heard many (she might say too many) times...there is an entrance to one movement that is pretty devastating and, this time, it literally shook the house.

To answer your question regarding the sub setup, we wired the REL directly to the speakers (stripped the insulation off the Speakon----red and black to the RH speaker; yellow to the red terminal of the LH). Some fiddling w/the crossover, but it works great.
    Last edited by rgro; 2011-06-24 at 22:42.
    Rg

System information
    ------------------------

Sam Tellig at Stereophile speeks highly of LFD. Would love to own one someday. Currently using old Sansui 890DB (Euro 8080DB) with Thiel 03a's.

Quote Originally Posted by shacky View Post
    Sam Tellig at Stereophile speeks highly of LFD. Would love to own one someday. Currently using old Sansui 890DB (Euro 8080DB) with Thiel 03a's.
    Start saving your dollars, euros or whatever. You'll find it's more than well worth what it costs.....
    Rg

System information
    ------------------------