Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Häagen-Dazs View Post
    Not in Bridge mode, but Share public IP-address.

My router is in the basement connected to a 5-port switch which splits the signal into 2 networks, one on the 1st floor (where I have my Touch connected to stereo in living room) and one network in the attic (where I have 16-port switch connected to the Vortexbox Appliance and Time Capsule; the TC wired to my iMac and PC).

I can now successfully play my music on the Touch wired to Vortexbox. But my Radio is no longer able to find the Vortexbox wirelessly.
    Squeezebox Server is on the Vortexbox Appliance.

Thank you for your help :-)
    Yes, it seems your problem is that the RADIO is connected to a different network than the SbS, which is an issue. Any reason you need two networks? I have lots of switches and even a second WIFI access point in a separate part of the house, but everything is on a SINGLE network (all with IP addresses in the "192.168.1.xx" range, where the router with the DHCP turned on is 192.168.1.1.

Long story. I live in a very old house, had it renovated a few years ago and the electrician really struggled with my network. I don´t really know why, but in my basement I have a box with two ports, one for the 1st floor and one for the attic. The only way I can get a wired signal to both floors is by using a switch in the basement.

But anyway, I still don´t understand why my Touch can connect to the VBA wireless (and wired) but my Radio cannot. I use the same networkname and password on both the Touch and Radio.

Not in Bridge mode, but Share public IP-address.

I can now successfully play my music on the Touch wired to Vortexbox. But my Radio is no longer able to find the Vortexbox wirelessly.
    Have you changed your Time Capsule to use Bridge mode? If so, try power-cycling the Radio as it may no longer have an appropriate IP address

Again - any further diagnosis would require a more detailed description of your network setup

Long story. I live in a very old house, had it renovated a few years ago and the electrician really struggled with my network. I don´t really know why, but in my basement I have a box with two ports, one for the 1st floor and one for the attic. The only way I can get a wired signal to both floors is by using a switch in the basement.

But anyway, I still don´t understand why my Touch can connect to the VBA wireless (and wired) but my Radio cannot. I use the same networkname and password on both the Touch and Radio.
    same name and password doesn't help, if one is 192.168.1.x and the other is 192.168.0.x. I'm still confused as to what this box with two ports is doing. Although I know nothing about time capsules.

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    Although I know nothing about time capsules.
    FYI: TC is effectively an Apple Airport Extreme GbE router with builtin hard disk, typically used in Mac environments for Time Machine Backups. It provides dual-band wireless-N access also.

The really nice feature is that as well as acting as a router with all the usual Port Forwarding, DHCP etc features, it can be used in "bridge mode" effectively turning it into a GbE switch with wireless access for simple extension of existing networks

Quote Originally Posted by snottmonster View Post
    FYI: TC is effectively an Apple Airport Extreme GbE router with builtin hard disk, typically used in Mac environments for Time Machine Backups. It provides dual-band wireless-N access also.

The really nice feature is that as well as acting as a router with all the usual Port Forwarding, DHCP etc features, it can be used in "bridge mode" effectively turning it into a GbE switch with wireless access for simple extension of existing networks
    aha. thanks. sounds quite useful. But also sounds like the users of the TC may or may not understand exactly the mode in which they are using it when combined with other routers/switches.

Setting my Time Capsule to use Bridge mode effectively solved my network problems.
    Thank you very much for your help, both of you!

I´ve never heard of the bridge mode functionality before. I found this on Rebmantech.com:

At times it will be necessary to operate your TIme Capsule or Airport Extreme in bridge mode. An example of this requirement would be if your DSL modem has a built-in router. A router will distribute IP Addresses to your computers and network devices when they become available on the network. If you have two routers on the network it can cause conflicts and either limit or disable your network access. Solving this problem involves placing one of the routers in bridge mode, in this case a Time Capsule. Your Time Capsule will continue to operate as normal and you will not loose any functionality.

Excellent. I learned something too...