Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Newbie wants Vortexbox on a wired network

I have been searching the forums for a while, but still can´t seem to find a solution to this.

My set-up is as follows:
    Touch connected to stereo in living room. My touch is wired to router in the basement.
    Squeezebox server on Vortexbox Appliance connected to my Time Capsule in the attic, where I have my home-office with my iMac and PC. The Time Capsule is also wired to my router.

This works fine, my Touch can play my music off the Vortexbox using wireless, but as soon as I switch to ethernet on the Touch, it cannot find my Vortexbox. It cannot see my iMac either.

If possible, I would prefer a wired connection. What can I do?

Get an Ethernet switch and use it to connect your Time Capsule, iMac, and VortexBox to your router.
    Don't connect the VortexBox and iMac to the Time Capsule.
    Last edited by Ron Olsen; 2011-05-31 at 12:37.

Tried with a 3com officeconnect dual speed switch 16, but it didn´t work.
    I really appreciate your help!

Quote Originally Posted by Häagen-Dazs View Post
    not sure about this switch, but a quick glance at the specs makes me think it is doing a lot more than a simple switch. I have several switches between my router and vortexbox (and other things) and all work fine. But the switches are really just "dumb" switches. For example, I'm using these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FIVDIA

I have several Ethernet switches in my home network, connecting a VortexBox Appliance, Mac Pro, two Transporters, a Duet Receiver, two TiVos, two Apple TVs, and other devices to my router (Cisco/Linksys E4200). It all works.

The D-Link switch that Gary mentioned is a good choice. I use Cisco/Linksys SD2005 Gigabit Ethernet switches and they work well too.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...697&CatId=5550
    Last edited by Ron Olsen; 2011-05-31 at 15:29.

This is very strange. It all works now. Same settings, same switch.
    On my Touch I go to Settings > Advanced > Network and choose Ethernet, and voila, my Touch finds the Vortexbox without any problem.
    I have 2 more questions:
    Is there any easier way to check whether or not the connection is wired (or is it possible to de-activate wireless altogether on the Touch?)
    My next problem is that I have a Squeezebox Radio in my bathroom, where wireless is the only option. Can my Vortexbox Appliance be set to communicate wireless with my Radio and at the same time reach my Touch by ethernet?

My next problem is that I have a Squeezebox Radio in my bathroom, where wireless is the only option. Can my Vortexbox Appliance be set to communicate wireless with my Radio and at the same time reach my Touch by ethernet?
    yes. I'm assuming you have WIFI in your home (that is, the router or an access point is producing a WIFI signal that you can attach to with a laptop, etc.). Your Radio (on WIFI) will see the vortexbox just like the TOUCH (on ethernet) will see the vortexbox. Your vortexbox is on your local network, so anything on your local network (either wired or wireless) will see the vortexbox. I'm all wired at my house, except my Radios are wifi (with batteries I move them around) and my controller, iphone, ipad, and laptops are wifi.

Garym: You have exactly the kind of network set-up I would like. I have WIFI on my Time Capsule. It used to work with my wireless Radio, and yesterday when I first set up my Vortexbox Appliance I could play my music from vortexbox.localdomain (wireless).

Today, my Radio is on my wireless network (I can listen to internetradio), but it can´t find the vortexbox. I tried restoring factory settings without any success...

How do you have Time Capsule setup for Connection Sharing? (In Airport Utility select the "Internet" toolbar button to find this)

Given your network description, I would expect you to be using "Bridge Mode" which effectively turns the Time Capsule into a pure ethernet switch.

If not, then you need to describe your setup in more detail - the symptoms suggest you have 2 different subnets

Not in Bridge mode, but Share public IP-address.

My router is in the basement connected to a 5-port switch which splits the signal into 2 networks, one on the 1st floor (where I have my Touch connected to stereo in living room) and one network in the attic (where I have 16-port switch connected to the Vortexbox Appliance and Time Capsule; the TC wired to my iMac and PC).

I can now successfully play my music on the Touch wired to Vortexbox. But my Radio is no longer able to find the Vortexbox wirelessly.
    Squeezebox Server is on the Vortexbox Appliance.

Thank you for your help :-)