Sorry for answering my own question, but I thought I would document what I needed to do.

The issue is that Fedora 15 x86_64 uses Perl 5.12.4. Following the instructions here:, I rebuilt CPAN for the squeezeboxserver. I had to alter references in from 5.12.3 to 5.12.4, and the directory where the newly built directory is stored is not arm-linux-gnueabi-thread-multi-64int, but x86_64-linux-thread-multi (obviously, since the instructions are for building for the Sheeva plug computer, not an x86_64 box).

I also had to install nasm for my installation of Fedora 15.

I rebuilt CPAN, copied it to the appropriate directory, and now it works!!