Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MrSinatra

Exclamation SBS not a service anymore? 7.5.x?

i am using 7.5.4 r32224

you should be able to have the system run SBS WITHOUT having someone login. i can not get this to work. in slimtray control panel, the dropdown box is there, but it won't "stick" to the choice of "Automatically Run at System Start" even though i "apply" it.

i assume i would not need to enter a user pword combo there since i am trying to run SBS as a system service across the whole machine, independent of a user login. but that doesn't work either.

is this broken? am i doing something wrong? whats the fix?

No, I don't think it's broken in 7.5.4 but I have seen that same problem before in the Control Panel. Try stopping the server, closing the Control Panel, then open it up again.

pski
    Quote Originally Posted by JJZolx View Post
    No, I don't think it's broken in 7.5.4 but I have seen that same problem before in the Control Panel. Try stopping the server, closing the Control Panel, then open it up again.
    Control panel = nuts.

MrSinatra
    i probably should have mentioned that i don't see the service listed where all the other services are, such as mysql.

i think something is wrong with the software, or at least this install, but i didn't do anything unusual to the install.

If you are on Vista or Windows 7 remember to start the Control Panel app as an administrator; right click on "Control Panel" in Start Menu and choose "Run as administrator"

Otherwise it will not work, and no error message is shown.
    Main: Receiver (Audiocom) -> Beresford Caiman+ (Gatorized) -> Carver A-500x -> B&W 704
    Office: Receiver -> Luxman L-210 -> Stax SR84 Pro
    -> Beresford Bushmaster -> Superlux HD668B
    Server: A8-5500, 4 GB, SSD+ 2*1 TB, Win8 w. SBS 7.9.0 (SQLite w. High Mem)
    Tied together by D-Link DIR-655 + DGS-1008D

hi

when I upgraded from 7.5.3 to 7.5.4 about a week ago, I had a hard time getting the SBServer service to change to automatic startup type on WHSv1. No problems with mySQL service.
    Some version of LMS running on a HP EX490 home server
    SBReceiver --> NAD C162 / C272 --> DALI IKON 6

MrSinatra
    but what do you do when SBServer is not listed as a service???

this isn't a control panel issue really. for some reason, on my parents win7 64bit machine, the sbsmysql is listed and runs as a service but the SBS isn't even listed at all.

SBS/slim hw is just buggy. it feels like to me that its never easy, never robust, never reliable. if its not one thing, its something else.

Quote Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
    but what do you do when SBServer is not listed as a service???

this isn't a control panel issue really. for some reason, on my parents win7 64bit machine, the sbsmysql is listed and runs as a service but the SBS isn't even listed at all.
    Yeah, I think the problem is with the Control Panel, which is pretty unreliable and more than a little quirky when it does work.

I just played with it a little on an XP system. It appears that when you change the startup type from 'at logon' to 'at system start' it installs the service. It's not installed before then. When you change it back it _uninstalls_ the service. But (of course there's a 'but') if the server is still running then it won't uninstall the service - it only marks it 'Disabled'. The SqueezeMySQL service, on the other hand, is installed by the installer and stays installed.

Your problem appears to be that the Control Panel is unable to install the SBS service for some reason. This seems to be a fairly common problem.

Quote Originally Posted by jjzolx View Post
    yeah, i think the problem is with the control panel, which is pretty unreliable and more than a little quirky when it does work.

I just played with it a little on an xp system. It appears that when you change the startup type from 'at logon' to 'at system start' it installs the service. It's not installed before then. When you change it back it _uninstalls_ the service. But (of course there's a 'but') if the server is still running then it won't uninstall the service - it only marks it 'disabled'. The squeezemysql service, on the other hand, is installed by the installer and stays installed.

Your problem appears to be that the control panel is unable to install the sbs service for some reason. This seems to be a fairly common problem.
    +1
    Some version of LMS running on a HP EX490 home server
    SBReceiver --> NAD C162 / C272 --> DALI IKON 6

MrSinatra
    i'm probably just being thick here...

but are you guys saying control panel, and user intervention, is NECESSARY to have SBS server installed as a service?

i don't think thats true. as far as i can remember, SBS always installed itself as a listed service in windows when you installed it, (just like mysql still is).

not trying to be argumentative, but i don't think the devs intend for SBS status as a listed service or not to depend on what users do with control panel.

(yes, control panel is supposed to be able to control the service, but what i am saying is the service itself should be LISTED in windows services no matter what, regardless of control panel and regardless of what state its in, be it automatic, manual, or disabled)