Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

How can I listen to my music in the garden?

It would be so nice to be able to do this.

The obvious answer -- ipeng and an ipod touch-- won't work because my wireless network isn't strong enough. That would have been ideal because ipod docs are easy to take outside.

I could use ethernet to wire a link -- using the electricity circuit to transmit the signal. I've never tried it but it should work. But -- there's no ethernet plug on the ipod or the ipad -- nor, as far as I can tell, on any android kit.

The garden is about 80 feet from the wireless router.

Help!!

Either move the wifi router closer to the garden or install a wifi repeater closer to the garden.

You could try an antenna booster (higher gain antenna) for the WiFi router.
    80 feet should be no distance for a WiFi network in an open area.
    ---
    learn more about iPeng, the iPhone and iPad remote for the Squeezebox and
    Logitech UE Smart Radio as well as iPeng Party, the free Party-App,
    at penguinlovesmusic.com
    New: iPeng 9, the Universal App for iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch

I'd look into why your WiFi can't handle 80 feet. My WiFi G does this even through walls.
    Google "basic WiFi tweaks" and there are many simple DIY tutorials to get a better and more robust WiFi signal.
    There are even DIY homemade antenna boosters.

I should have mentioned that I use a British Telecom Infinity Router -- I've heard it is one of the most powerful available in the UK. There is no point where I can hook on an antenna -- as far as I can see antennas need an slot to hook in coaxial cable. Shame that -- I had the idea of using an antenna myself.

Has anyone got any experience of/ recommendations for repeaters?

The Infinity router doues have plenty of ethernet sockets and a USB
    Last edited by howie.stone; 2011-04-17 at 04:00.

Edimax EW7416APN

Quote Originally Posted by howie.stone View Post

I use the Edimax 7416APN 'range extender'. It has removable antennae, so you might be able to add, I think, an external antenna if you wanted to do so. In the box are a couple of screws to wall mount it. It has a plastic case, and a separate plug-top PSU, so is quite lightweight.

It repeats a signal from a Linksys 'g' wireless AP. I run a couple of SBRs off it, in a very-solid-brick house where even the internal walls are solid brick, so I needed a repeater.

I bought mine from Amazon but had to return it because it seemed to overheat and the wireless would 'just stop'. Amazon replaced it, and the replacement has worked well. There seem to be over 200 comments about it on Amazon, so maybe there's some reading to do

regards
    Atlantic

Quote Originally Posted by howie.stone View Post
    I should have mentioned that I use a British Telecom Infinity Router -- I've heard it is one of the most powerful available in the UK. There is no point where I can hook on an antenna -- as far as I can see antennas need an slot to hook in coaxial cable. Shame that -- I had the idea of using an antenna myself.

The Infinity router doues have plenty of ethernet sockets and a USB
    I assume you don't plan on placing that repeater between the current router and the garden if that means placing it outdoors. So the repeater would also be located in your house.

If you can run ethernet cabling to the point in your house where you'd place the repeater, then you'd be better off with another router instead, configured as an access point and operating on a different wireless channel. Get one where you can replace the antenna with a higher gain unit, just in case you need it to reach the garden.

Quote Originally Posted by Atlantic View Post
    I use the Edimax 7416APN 'range extender'. It has removable antennae, so you might be able to add, I think, an external antenna if you wanted to do so. In the box are a couple of screws to wall mount it. It has a plastic case, and a separate plug-top PSU, so is quite lightweight.

It repeats a signal from a Linksys 'g' wireless AP. I run a couple of SBRs off it, in a very-solid-brick house where even the internal walls are solid brick, so I needed a repeater.

I bought mine from Amazon but had to return it because it seemed to overheat and the wireless would 'just stop'. Amazon replaced it, and the replacement has worked well. There seem to be over 200 comments about it on Amazon, so maybe there's some reading to do

regards
    Atlantic
    Thanks. Is that with the BT infinity router?

Quote Originally Posted by andynormancx View Post
    Either move the wifi router closer
    Not easy -- it's fixed because it is fibre optic broadband.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by JJZolx View Post

If you can run ethernet cabling to the point in your house where you'd place the repeater, then you'd be better off with another router instead, configured as an access point and operating on a different wireless channel. Get one where you can replace the antenna with a higher gain unit, just in case you need it to reach the garden.

How easy is that to do? I'm not a hardcore networking techie.