Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Squeezebox Server and Squeezenetwork not synchronized - firmware toggling

I know others have this problem, but I think most people don't realize exactly what the problem is here, so I wanted to make a thread with the actual problem description in the title.

Why on earth is mysqueezebox.com updated, thus requiring a firmware update, before the corresponding update to squeezebox server is released? This means that every time I switch between the server and the web service, the squeezebox firmware has to be upgraded/downgraded. I'm using squeezebox 3, and I expect everyone with the same hardware is experiencing the same problem.

So the question is, when will there be an update for the server that supports the new firmware?

Just update your SBS 7.5.3 to SBS 7.5.4 (which is the current MySB version), no more firmware update prompts.
    http://downloads.slimdevices.com/nightly/?ver=7.5

Okay, I'll try that.
    However, I've checked over and over in my squeezeserver settings, and it says there are no updates available. Also, on the dowload page, the current version is 7.5.3. Finally, I actually tried to install v. 7.6 (experimental), and even there the problem still exists!

By the way, the page you linked to clearly states "Beta Downloads", so how can you claim this is the current version?

Sorry for being grumpy, I just realized I'm a bit too annoyed about this.

Usually Logitech does not update mysqueezebox.com until they officially release the corresponding Squeezebox Server. This time is an exception. I forget the details, but there was something they wanted to push out on mysb even before SBS 7.5.4 was officially released. So toby is right that 7.5.4 is the current _MySB_ version, even if it's not the current SBS version.

I understand your frustration, but toby's suggestion is still the best solution. Follow the link he provided and upgrade to 7.5.4. Not 7.6, but 7.5.4. Version 7.5.4 is still officially beta, but is very stable and will be released soon. If you do that then the firmware switching will stop.

If you don't want to run beta software, that's fine, but you'll have to put up with the firmware switching, at least until 7.5.4 is released in a few days.

formerly known as Fletch
    Quote Originally Posted by aubuti View Post
    I understand your frustration, but toby's suggestion is still the best solution.
    I would suggest that the "best" solution is to just connect to SBS and never switch.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Miksis View Post
    I would suggest that the "best" solution is to just connect to SBS and never switch.
    Good point. It just seems that every time I suggest that I get the response that "I don't want to turn on my pc to listen to internet radio / Napster / Pandora / etc."

formerly known as Fletch
    Quote Originally Posted by aubuti View Post
    Good point. It just seems that every time I suggest that I get the response that "I don't want to turn on my pc to listen to internet radio / Napster / Pandora / etc."
    Yeah, I was trying to be slightly sarcastic. But really, IMO, the process of switching is annoying and cumbersome even without the firmware updates. I would never do it on a regular basis. But I understand that there are people who want to do this because of power consumption, noisy servers, or other reasons. I also think that there are people who switch all the time, for no good reason, because it's not clear that they can access all MySB.com features while connected to SBS.

Quote Originally Posted by Godskalk View Post
    Okay, I'll try that.
    However, I've checked over and over in my squeezeserver settings, and it says there are no updates available. Also, on the dowload page, the current version is 7.5.3. Finally, I actually tried to install v. 7.6 (experimental), and even there the problem still exists!

By the way, the page you linked to clearly states "Beta Downloads", so how can you claim this is the current version?

Sorry for being grumpy, I just realized I'm a bit too annoyed about this.
    Correct, 7.5.4 is beta, but is very stable. You definitely do not want 7.6 or you will get daily update prompts (possibly more often, I dunno).
    7.5.4 is the current version of MySB.com, SBS 7.5.3 is the current "release" version of SBS, so running SBS 7.5.4 will resolve your repeated updates issue.

Why do they have a MySB.com version different than the release version of SBS? I have no clue. Possibly in the final stages of new hardware or new services testing.
    But if you must switch between SBS and MySB, and you don't want the update prompt every switch, than 7.5.4 is your answer.

Okay, thanks for your replies. Using the beta version solves the problem.

I myself and many others use laptops to run the server, and it's simply not practical to keep it turned on all the time. Using MySB is quite practical for just listening to radio or using some of the apps. Since it's a feature that's there and supposed to be used, it's a bit rude to suggest "just don't use it". Of course I know I can listen to radio when connected to the server.
    And if you find it cumbersome to switch between the two, I believe you must be doing something wrong; at least for me it takes about three seconds to switch.

Quote Originally Posted by Godskalk View Post
    And if you find it cumbersome to switch between the two, I believe you must be doing something wrong; at least for me it takes about three seconds to switch.
    I do agree.
    It is pretty much instantaneous and requires no more time or navigation than going from an internet stream to My Music > Artists, assuming the firmwares match.
    For those of us who do switch servers often adding the feature to place "switch to MySB.com" on the Home Menu has made this switching even simpler.