Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Patch: Reduce brightness when screensaver is active

The Squeezebox Touch has two brightness settings: manual and automatic. However, I found them both not to be ideal. The manual setting always has the same brightness level whether the Touch is on or off. The automatic doesn't really work if you try to control the player in a dark room, and the minimal brightness level is set to a low level.

So, I wrote a patch to change the behaviour. It changes the implementation of the manual setting (it doesn't do anything with automatic brightness control). When the screen saver is active, the brightness is reduced to the minimal brightness level. When using the remote or touching the screen, the brightness is restored to manual brightness level. You have the option to only reduce the brightness when playing, stopped, or off. So for example, if your screen saver is "Now playing" when playing, you have the option not to reduce the brightness. When stopped, or switched off, the screen saver starts and the brightness is reduced.

If you are interested in this feature, I invite you to test this patch. If people like it, and there are no bugs, I hope I can add it to the list of the patch installer plug-in, for easy installation. (How would I do that anyway??)

Things to note:
    - In the default implementation, the brightness control is changed to automatic/manual when using one of the brightness sliders. This has been removed.
    - The string "(Automatic)" has been removed from the "Minimal brightness (Automatic)", because it has another function too.
    - The string "Manual brightness" is still called that. Maybe there should be a better name for that.
    - The menu "Dim on screensaver" only has an English and Dutch translation. If you have other translations, please provide them.

To install, you need the Patch Installer applet, and add the following repository: http://vijge.net/static/squeezebox/repo.xml

Or to apply it manually, download the attached zip file and replace the files in /usr/share/jive/applets/SqueezeboxFab4/.

Update: The zip file is an old version. The repository XML always contains the newest version. Or see the page at http://server.vijge.net/squeezebox/
    Last edited by 505; 2011-11-30 at 08:59. Reason: Attached zip is no longer the newest verison, link to new version included

You need to look up Erland's patch installer, its specifically designed for this sort of thing. You make a package available in a repository on the net, patch installer downloads it and installs the patch for the user, no need for SSH etc.

Patch installer is an applet itself, so the user has to first install patch installer, then use it to download and install the patch.

There is a fair amount of info on it in this forum if you search for patch installer.

John S.

I've made available a repository for easy installation with the patch installer. See first post for the URL.

This sounds exactly like what I'm missing for the Radio. Will try out tonight!
    Did you know: SqueezePlayer will stream all your music to your Android device. Take your music everywhere!
    Remote Control + Streaming to your iPad? Squeezebox + iPad = SqueezePad
    Want to see a Weather Forecast on your Radio/Touch/Controller ? => why not try my Weather Forecast Applet
    Want to use the Headphones with your Controller ? => why not try my Headphone Switcher Applet

Quote Originally Posted by 505 View Post
    I've made available a repository for easy installation with the patch installer. See first post for the URL.
    If your repository is hosted on a server which is always available, you can add it to the following wiki page and we will add it to the official list of repositories so users don't have to configure it manually.
    http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.ph...r_repositories
    Erland Isaksson (My homepage)
    Developer of many plugins/applets
    Starting with LMS 8.0 I no longer support my plugins/applets (see here for more information )

Quote Originally Posted by bluegaspode View Post
    This sounds exactly like what I'm missing for the Radio. Will try out tonight!
    505: can you add the Radio on your targets list. Otherwise I'm not able to install the patch.
    Did you know: SqueezePlayer will stream all your music to your Android device. Take your music everywhere!
    Want to see a Weather Forecast on your Radio/Touch/Controller ? => why not try my Weather Forecast Applet
    Want to use the Headphones with your Controller ? => why not try my Headphone Switcher Applet

505: can you add the Radio on your targets list. Otherwise I'm not able to install the patch.
    This patch makes changes to files in the SqueezeboxFab4 applet. Fab4 is the code name for the Touch, so it's very Touch specific.

However, I've taken a loot at the code for the SqueezeboxBaby (code name for the Radio), and I *think* the same logic can be applied to that too. Now, I have no way of actually testing if it works on a Radio, since I do not own one. But I've added the code for the radio, so if you are willing to test it... If it crashes your Squeezebox, just do a factory reset.

With your current repository file, the patch list is not loading.
    You shouldn't have two 'patches' tags, but just one 'patches' and two 'patch' within.

I changed that und uploaded the file to my own server, now the patch-list is loading again but does not include your patch.

erland can you be of help here? Should the patch appear, when I entered the repository on the plugins-page of the Squeezebox-Server?

With your current repository file, the patch list is not loading.
    You shouldn't have two 'patches' tags, but just one 'patches' and two 'patch' within.
    Oops, copy-pasted a bit too much. Thanks for spotting this. Now fixed.
    I suspect that each entry must have a unique name. I had two entries "ReduceBrightness", but with a different target (Touch, Radio). Try to reload it again, I hope it shows now.
    Last edited by 505; 2011-03-27 at 06:54.

ok - I could install it now on the Radio.

Also seems to work: I setup manual brightness, left everything else on it's defaults (dim when off).

When I turn off the Radio to see the Clock Screensaver, it's stays bright for a short while. I see the brightness flickering on a regular interval though. As if your change tries to reduce the brightness but doesn't succeed. But after 20seconds the display only shows the minimum brightness.

When I turn the wheel it get's bright again instantly, after 20seconds it's dark again.

Perfekt!
    Now I can change alarm settings even in the dark, thanks a lot!