Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Squeezebox Boom alarm is totally erratic

I can see a lot of people have alarm issues but it seems for most it's blip.

I bought a boom at the end of January to work as a second receiver with my Duet and I'm running 7.5.3 of the server software.

I've set the alarm and most days it doesn't work. In fact, if I set the alarm it seems to work the next time only and in those cases it works well, snoozing as I like but otherwise nothing happens.

The server is awake the whole time (I turned on 'wake up on LAN' and now it never gets to sleep) yet I see the Boom momentarily saying it can't get to the server at times prior to when the alarm's due to go off. But if I turn the box on it's right on the server.

That aside, it should still come on and run the default noise. It has done that one or twice but when it does it barely lasts 3 seconds and then it seems to die.

Does anyone else have this issue? Can I fix it somehow? Is there something wrong with me using my Duet controller with the Boom, maybe? They work fine together but that's all I can think of. I've set alarms (and they are set to repeat) from both the Duet controller and from the Boom's own built-in control system.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

What message is the log giving you when it can't see the server?
    What are you using as an alarm sound on the Boom? If you are using one of the "sound effects", those are actually served via mysqueezebox.com, so you could be seeing an issue with the connection to msb.com.
    I had unreliable alarm with my Radio initially - it would work about 80% of the time. After I switched to an alarm sound which is on my server, the reliability was no longer an issue (my daily alarm).

Quote Originally Posted by tcutting View Post
    What message is the log giving you when it can't see the server?
    What are you using as an alarm sound on the Boom? If you are using one of the "sound effects", those are actually served via mysqueezebox.com, so you could be seeing an issue with the connection to msb.com.
    I had unreliable alarm with my Radio initially - it would work about 80% of the time. After I switched to an alarm sound which is on my server, the reliability was no longer an issue (my daily alarm).
    I can't remember the error message. It's more about waking at about 5am (earlier than the alarm by an hour or so) and noticing scrolling text that (I think) just said 'unable to connect to server'.

Yeah, the alarm sound thing is a problem. Do you mean you recorded a sound and put it in your MP3s on the server? I've tried EVERY option: sound effects, radio, playlist, current playlist. The latter seems to have been most reliable, though that seems to have been a save of the playlist I had at the time. I say most reliable because it worked this morning and when I first set this new alarm up, which was for Monday. In the intervening days it's not done anything.

But the point is that it has a default sound that it should use when it can't get to the server. Why isn't it using it?

No alarm for us last Friday and this morning (Thursday) w/Boom using 7.5.3. Local SC only, server always on.
    Last edited by MrC; 2011-02-24 at 11:15.

Since the bug notice was sent out about a month ago that they'd fixed the problem with alarms coming back on after one minute, my Boom alarm has worked without fail. (It's wireless and connects to msb.com, not a local server.) I have had the backup alarm tone come on once in that time, with a radio stream or music service coming on the rest of the time, depending on the day and alarm. But it's never failed to come on or done the "come back on after a minute" trick that it had done quite often before the update.

I bought and set up my first boom this week. The alarms I set up have not worked correctly once. It seems like the alarm is activating at the right time, but the volume is stuck at zero. When I go into the setting and try and set the alarm volume it always goes back to zero.

I'm starting a new job Monday and really need this to work right.

Lindy

I'd suggest using a $5 alarm clock Monday.

By chance are you switching your Boom between SBS server on your computer and MySB.com online? If so this might be what is causing your Alarm Volume setting to get borked.
    Go to SBS > Settings > MySqueezeBox.com > MySB Integration = Disable

I have not set up squeezebox center on my computer yet. The only content I am pulling in right now are a few internet radio stations from mysqueezebox.com

I just spent 30 minutes playing with it. As soon as an alarm kicks in the box mutes. I didn't even know it had a mute function.

Looks like my 1980-something analog numerical display clock radio is going to have to hold out until I can get some feed back from tech support.
    Last edited by Lindybomber; 2011-03-05 at 15:38.