Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Boom - panel controls just stopped working

My Boom was working fine until yesterday.

I saw some random blocks illuminated in the display, and now the front panel controls don't work. Pressing the power, turning or pressing the dial, the presets, volume, arrows - none of them work.

The remote does work.

But I want my controls and presets back.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

B

Try unplugging the Boom from the mains, then plugging it back in. If that doesn't fix it, try a factory reset: power it off, then power on while holding down the "+" key on the front panel. If that doesn't work, phone Logitech support.

I tried unplugging and replugging many times. The display cycles on, but the buttons don't work.

Plugging it in while holding the + key does nothing.

Any other ideas before I descend into Logitech support? Thanks for your help.

B

Try doing it with the remote.

Press and hold the off button and as it goes off press and hold the plus button on the remote.

Worth a try.

Did you shock it?

My daughter said she picked up a static charge when walking across the carpet the other day and zapped the top of the Boom. After that it started behaving as you describe. I can still control it with the remote, although it seems more prone to "flake out" and either reboot itself or go to a random block display.

Factory reset didn't seem to help

Does anyone know of a way to force a firmware "upgrade" (even to just reprogram the current version) if the front panel buttons don't work? I'm hoping some bits got flipped in the flash and not some UI driver chip blown out.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by go_green View Post
    Does anyone know of a way to force a firmware "upgrade" (even to just reprogram the current version) if the front panel buttons don't work? I'm hoping some bits got flipped in the flash and not some UI driver chip blown out.
    You could try installing an old version of SBS (say, 7.5.0) from downloads.slimdevices.com , and then connecting the Boom to the old SBS to trigger a firmware downgrade. You may have to first enable automatic firmware updating, which you do by holding down the left arrow button on the remote for ~5 seconds. Then you can try re-installing the current SBS and letting the Boom do the automatic firmware upgrade to see if it gets you back in service. Good luck.

Firmware reinstall doesn't fix it

Guess it must be a blown chip. Thanks for the advice on getting the firmware to update.

Enable Front panel control

Make sure to enable "Front_panel" in the "Remote Control" settings of the Boom.

Squeezeboxserver > Settings > Player > Your Boom > Remote > Remote Control > (x) Front_Panel

Thanks for the tip. I had tried that, it didn't seem to affect anything.

I do think reinstalling the firmware stabilized operation. I haven't seen the system degenerate into random-block mode since I did that.

I've thought about taking the Boom apart to see if there's a front panel driver chip that could be replaced, although if it's a BGA or some such that would pretty much make it impossible.