Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    5

    External HDD > Squeezebox Touch > Amplifier > Listen to my music?

    External USB-powered HDD (regular HDD, no NAS) with music > USB-cable > Squeezebox Touch > digital coaxial or optical > amplifier > listen to my music and control it via the touch screen or via the remote. Is this possible? I don't want to stream or use a computer.

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    27
    I have the same configuration, no problem. Perhaps a bit slow start - scanning for new files.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by vma View Post
    I have the same configuration, no problem. Perhaps a bit slow start - scanning for new files.
    Thanks!

    Slow? Do you mean the first time because of "indexing", or slow everytime?

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,025
    Should only be slow during scanning process which you would do each time you add new music in which case it is advisable to do a complete rescan to avoid missing items. The scan and look for new music is quirky and unreliable.

    That being said I have 22K FLAC files on a setup just as you describe. Turn on your amplifier search for what to listen to and listen. Simple as that, no waiting.

    I leave the Touch on 24/7. Also Toshiba drives work well for me and some others here. Some other brands do not. If you have not gotten the drive yet I'd opt for the Toshiba.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by dasmueller View Post
    Should only be slow during scanning process which you would do each time you add new music in which case it is advisable to do a complete rescan to avoid missing items. The scan and look for new music is quirky and unreliable.

    That being said I have 22K FLAC files on a setup just as you describe. Turn on your amplifier search for what to listen to and listen. Simple as that, no waiting.

    I leave the Touch on 24/7. Also Toshiba drives work well for me and some others here. Some other brands do not. If you have not gotten the drive yet I'd opt for the Toshiba.
    Thanks!

    I have a Western Digital but I may soon need to expand my storage. I will keep Toshiba in mind.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,690
    WD drives can be some of the worst to use with a Touch. Many of them contain special partitions which contain windows code, designed to be run on a windows computer when plugged in. The Touch does not run windows, it run linux. Thus all that extra windows stuff doesn't get run which can cause all kinds of problems. A few people have managed to get rid of the extra stuff or reformat these WD drives, but its a pain in the neck to deal with.

    There are two different types of "scans" that happen when using an external drive. When you first plug in a drive with a bunch of music files it will do a "full scan", it reads all the music files extracting tags and cover art and builds a database on the drive. This process can take MANY hours. Its been known to take 9 hours on a large drive with a LOT of files. Its important not to do anything with the Touch until this process has finished.

    Once the DB has been created each time the Touch boots or the drive is plugged in / turned on it does a "quick scan", this goes through all the directories and sees if there are any new files which aren't in the DB. For a large collection this is usually a few minutes.

    The systems works the best if you leave the Touch and the drive powered on all the time, that way you don't have to go through the quick scan over and over.

    Some issues: some people like to unplug the Touch or the drive every time they listen to it, this will force you to wait for the quick scan. Some drives power down and drop the connection to the Touch after a few minutes of non use. This means the next time you try and use it you have to wait for the quick scan. Some of these drives can be configured to disable the power down feature. A "spin down" is fine as long as it stays talking to the Touch, its a complete disconnection from the USB port that causes the problem.

    Large album art can mess up the Touch. It doesn't have very much memory and large art can use it all up. 600 x 600 pixel art is usually fine. If you have some 1500 x 1500 artwork you will be in trouble. Many people have separate JPEG artwork files and they make sure that it is all the right size, but it still crashes, that is frequently caused by a LARGE embedded image in the music file itself. Those are harder to track down.

    John S.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnSwenson View Post
    WD drives can be some of the worst to use with a Touch. Many of them contain special partitions which contain windows code, designed to be run on a windows computer when plugged in. The Touch does not run windows, it run linux. Thus all that extra windows stuff doesn't get run which can cause all kinds of problems. A few people have managed to get rid of the extra stuff or reformat these WD drives, but its a pain in the neck to deal with.

    There are two different types of "scans" that happen when using an external drive. When you first plug in a drive with a bunch of music files it will do a "full scan", it reads all the music files extracting tags and cover art and builds a database on the drive. This process can take MANY hours. Its been known to take 9 hours on a large drive with a LOT of files. Its important not to do anything with the Touch until this process has finished.

    Once the DB has been created each time the Touch boots or the drive is plugged in / turned on it does a "quick scan", this goes through all the directories and sees if there are any new files which aren't in the DB. For a large collection this is usually a few minutes.

    The systems works the best if you leave the Touch and the drive powered on all the time, that way you don't have to go through the quick scan over and over.

    Some issues: some people like to unplug the Touch or the drive every time they listen to it, this will force you to wait for the quick scan. Some drives power down and drop the connection to the Touch after a few minutes of non use. This means the next time you try and use it you have to wait for the quick scan. Some of these drives can be configured to disable the power down feature. A "spin down" is fine as long as it stays talking to the Touch, its a complete disconnection from the USB port that causes the problem.

    Large album art can mess up the Touch. It doesn't have very much memory and large art can use it all up. 600 x 600 pixel art is usually fine. If you have some 1500 x 1500 artwork you will be in trouble. Many people have separate JPEG artwork files and they make sure that it is all the right size, but it still crashes, that is frequently caused by a LARGE embedded image in the music file itself. Those are harder to track down.

    John S.
    Thank you so much for your very informative answer.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Mnyb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Vństerňs Sweden
    Posts
    16,528
    Also use jpg, png images is more likely to cause memory problems dont use bmp either.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Rasbery PI digi+ MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Loggia: Raspi hifiberry dac + Adams
    Bathroom : Radio (with battery)
    iPad with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server Intel NUC Esxi VM Linux mint 18 LMS 7.9.2

    http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    5
    Thanks!

    I use .jpg at 500x500.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •