Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

View Poll Results: Would you use from your client...? On which device?

Voters
4. You may not vote on this poll
  • Edit Genres

4 100.00%
  • Rating of Songs

4 100.00%
  • Save to Playlist

2 50.00%
  • SqueezeboxTouch

1 25.00%
  • iPeng on Mobile Device

2 50.00%
  • iPeng on Tablet

2 50.00%
  • Squeezebox Server web client on Tablet

1 25.00%
  • Other software on Tablet

1 25.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Cool Feature request: Edit Genres, Rating of Songs and Save to Playlist

1. I often would like to change the genres of a song while I listen to it. Some times I write this down, and sometimes this little paper find the way to my computer desk, where I edit using MediaMonkey.

2. A few times when I tried to convert friends to Squeezebox they highlight the possibility of syncing back ratings of songs, design the library by preference.

3. I also would use the possibility to a add a song or album directly to a playlist on the server, similar to 'Save to Favorites'.

The security should configurable on a connection/device basis using a password to enable the feature on the clients.

Client? It's a client feature lately, but only for clients offering fast usability. Currently I see such only on iPeng. But first the server has to support it, maybe once?
    Music Management: Media Monkey 3.2.4.1304
    Music Playing: Squeezebox Server 7.6.1 r33110 (SqueezeboxServer QPKG with SSOTS); Squeezebox Touch, -Radio, -Controller, -Receiver; SoftSqueeze; iPeng on iPhone
    Music Store: QNAP TS-259 Pro with Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB WD2001FASS in Raid 1 Ext3

There is a plugin for #3. I forget which one, maybe Playlist Manager?

#1 and #2 are of no interest to me. In fact I rather like SBS's read-only approach, and would rather not see Logitech try to make it into a tag editor as well.

I didn't answer the poll because frankly neither the question nor the possible responses make a lot of sense.

I would want #1 but I would want it for a lot more than just genres and I don't necessarily want it to be written to the tags. For example:
    - if a featured artist is missing, I'd like to be able to add it directly from the tablet
    - if a rating or genre needs adjusting, I'd like to modify it directly from the tablet
    - if an artist, album or song title is spelled wrong, I'd like to adjust it directly from the tablet

Writing to the tags means that in the worst case my music files can be destroyed and unfortunately I don't trust the Logitech test team enough to let their software continuously write to my music files. However, if the changes could just be written to the SBS database and survive rescans the situation would be completely differently.

The current situation results in that often I just don't do some changes because I need to go through the whole process of:
    1. Get a computer
    2. Start the tagging softare
    3. Find the files that I wanted to change
    4. Modify the tags to my liking
    5. Open SBS web interface and trigger a rescan (won't be needed in 7.6 with its auto scan feature)
    6. Wait for the scanning to complete

I think #3 with Playlist Manager plugin could work as a temporary solution, because it means that you can mark an item for future editing by putting it in a separate playlist and later when you are by the computer you can go through the playlist and do the necessary changes. I'm not completely sure if Playlist Manager support iPeng, it might, I'm just not sure.
    Erland Isaksson (My homepage)
    Developer of many plugins/applets

Thumbs up +1

Quote Originally Posted by erland View Post
    I would want #1 but I would want it for a lot more than just genres and I don't necessarily want it to be written to the tags. For example:
    - if a featured artist is missing, I'd like to be able to add it directly from the tablet
    - if a rating or genre needs adjusting, I'd like to modify it directly from the tablet
    - if an artist, album or song title is spelled wrong, I'd like to adjust it directly from the tablet

Writing to the tags means that in the worst case my music files can be destroyed and unfortunately I don't trust the Logitech test team enough to let their software continuously write to my music files. However, if the changes could just be written to the SBS database and survive rescans the situation would be completely differently.

The current situation results in that often I just don't do some changes because I need to go through the whole process of:
    1. Get a computer
    2. Start the tagging softare
    3. Find the files that I wanted to change
    4. Modify the tags to my liking
    5. Open SBS web interface and trigger a rescan (won't be needed in 7.6 with its auto scan feature)
    6. Wait for the scanning to complete

I think #3 with Playlist Manager plugin could work as a temporary solution, because it means that you can mark an item for future editing by putting it in a separate playlist and later when you are by the computer you can go through the playlist and do the necessary changes. I'm not completely sure if Playlist Manager support iPeng, it might, I'm just not sure.
    Also add do a backupp of the whole retag, if you not sufficiently automated that chore :-/
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Rasbery PI digi+ MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Loggia: Raspi hifiberry dac + Adams
    Bathroom : Radio (with battery)
    iPad with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server Intel NUC Esxi VM Linux mint 18 LMS 7.9.2

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html