Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Unable to resolve IP address

Hi, I've searched and I don't think I've found this exact issue, though there are similar ones...

Recently (I think since installing the latest software, but not 100% sure), my Squeezebox Boom just says "Unable to resolve IP address for..." whenever I try to play an internet source. I can't choose internet radio from the squeezebox (it's just not in the menu), and if I try to play a podcast from the squeezebox, or manually enter a URL to play via the server on my PC (vista 32bit) then it gives the same error.

I've no problems visiting webpages via my PC, ipad, iphone etc, and the squeezebox is set up to use my router as a gateway, the same way everything else does.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the software, and that worked, I had internet radio back as an option on the box and everything worked, but now (probably since a reboot?) it's all gone again. Obviously I could probably uninstall and reinstall but I guess it's just going to happen again.

Anyone able to offer any help?

Thanks!

pski
    Quote Originally Posted by -rob- View Post
    Hi, I've searched and I don't think I've found this exact issue, though there are similar ones...

Recently (I think since installing the latest software, but not 100% sure), my Squeezebox Boom just says "Unable to resolve IP address for..." whenever I try to play an internet source. I can't choose internet radio from the squeezebox (it's just not in the menu), and if I try to play a podcast from the squeezebox, or manually enter a URL to play via the server on my PC (vista 32bit) then it gives the same error.

I've no problems visiting webpages via my PC, ipad, iphone etc, and the squeezebox is set up to use my router as a gateway, the same way everything else does.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the software, and that worked, I had internet radio back as an option on the box and everything worked, but now (probably since a reboot?) it's all gone again. Obviously I could probably uninstall and reinstall but I guess it's just going to happen again.

Anyone able to offer any help?

Thanks!
    It sounds like your router is failing. Does the boom show as a player in settings/information?

P

You are running a local squeezeboxserver on something what os ?

What happens if you stop sbs and start it again ( whitout rebooting the server)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Rasbery PI digi+ MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Loggia: Raspi hifiberry dac + Adams
    Bathroom : Radio (with battery)
    iPad with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server Intel NUC Esxi VM Linux mint 18 LMS 7.9.2

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Thanks for the replies.

pski: what makes you say the router is failing? I've got lots of devices working absolutely fine, all able to resolve ip addresses. It sounds to me like the server software or squeezebox is at fault.

Mnyb: That worked - choosing stop server and then restarting has fixed the problem (for now). I've never had this happen before, and I'm 99% sure a reboot of the vista PC running the server didn't fix it. I'm also thinking there's a fair chance of the problem coming back since it has done twice before now. Any ideas why that might be?
    Obviously I could well be wrong here though,and maybe it's fixed for good...I'll post back in a bit either way!

Was it all working fine (computer & SBS running) then it just stopped being able to play internet streams?
    Or did it have this problem only right after booting up the computer and SBS?
    If the latter, might be that SBS is running as a service at computer boot up and SBS is launching prematurely before the computer has fully booted and resolved all IP and DNS configurations.
    Adding a simple delay utility to SBS boot up can resolve this.

toby10 - thanks, I'll keep that in mind, though I don't think that is the issue. PC is on most of the time.

Still working fine at the minute so maybe it was just an oddity that happened a couple of times...fingers crossed!

Quote Originally Posted by toby10 View Post
    Was it all working fine (computer & SBS running) then it just stopped being able to play internet streams?
    Or did it have this problem only right after booting up the computer and SBS?
    If the latter, might be that SBS is running as a service at computer boot up and SBS is launching prematurely before the computer has fully booted and resolved all IP and DNS configurations.
    Adding a simple delay utility to SBS boot up can resolve this.
    That was my thinking, it has happened on many platforms for sbs.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Rasbery PI digi+ MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Loggia: Raspi hifiberry dac + Adams
    Bathroom : Radio (with battery)
    iPad with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server Intel NUC Esxi VM Linux mint 18 LMS 7.9.2

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html