Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

How to back-up favorites?

After some trouble with my Synology NAS that runs my Squeezecenter, I think MySQL has been reinstalled. Anyway, after this all my Favorites are gone, about 40 Internet stations. It took a lot of work to get the right URL's etc. It is the 2nd time this happens to me, so my question is: how can I avoid this in the future? Is there a way to make backups? Which directory, files etc.? I am a nono on databases but I heard something like you cannot make backups by just copying the files.

cheers, Willem

Your SBS favorites are stored in a single file named favorites.opml. On most SBS installations the file is kept in the same directory as the preferences folder. I'm not sure where that is on a Synology, but it should be listed on the SBS web ui under Settings > Information. To make a backup simply copy it to another location, and to restore it simply copy it back.

Note that your favorites on mysqueezebox.com are different. You can back those up by clicking the "Access your favorite streams as OPML" link on the bottom of the mysb Favorites page and saving the file.

Playlists too?

Can "playlists" be backed up too? What file is "playlists" stored under? Thank you.
    Ikabob

Squeezebox Touch w/LMS V7.9; Benchmark DAC1 USB;Marantz Pre-amp; SAE Amplifier;ESS Heil Speakers(main listening speakers plus various additional speakers).
    Multiple players: SqueezeBooms,SqueezeRadios; SB3;
    Services:Rhapsody;Slacker;RadioTunes;Spotify (+Triode's Plugin);CalmRadio,Napster,
    Ipeng remote controller.

Playlists are in whatever directory (folder) you specified under Settings > Basic Settings > Playlists. Each playlist is a separate file.

Quote Originally Posted by aubuti View Post
    Your SBS favorites are stored in a single file named favorites.opml. On most SBS installations the file is kept in the same directory as the preferences folder. I'm not sure where that is on a Synology, but it should be listed on the SBS web ui under Settings > Information. To make a backup simply copy it to another location, and to restore it simply copy it back.
    Thanks aubuti! I found the favorites.opml . For others with a Synology NAS that come across this thread:
    It is in /volume1/@appstore/SqueezeCenter/prefs . I could not reach this directory from Windows networking or the Diskstations web-interface. I think the only way is ftp. Windows Explorer has basic ftp capabilities, but it did not show any files or dir's. WinSCP (http://winscp.net/eng/download.php) did the job.

Yes, Thanks Aubuti.
    Ikabob

Squeezebox Touch w/LMS V7.9; Benchmark DAC1 USB;Marantz Pre-amp; SAE Amplifier;ESS Heil Speakers(main listening speakers plus various additional speakers).
    Multiple players: SqueezeBooms,SqueezeRadios; SB3;
    Services:Rhapsody;Slacker;RadioTunes;Spotify (+Triode's Plugin);CalmRadio,Napster,
    Ipeng remote controller.

Quote Originally Posted by willemb2 View Post
    Thanks aubuti! I found the favorites.opml . For others with a Synology NAS that come across this thread:
    It is in /volume1/@appstore/SqueezeCenter/prefs . I could not reach this directory from Windows networking or the Diskstations web-interface. I think the only way is ftp. Windows Explorer has basic ftp capabilities, but it did not show any files or dir's. WinSCP (http://winscp.net/eng/download.php) did the job.
    You need to telnet the IP address of your Synology and use the username "root" and the normal administrator password. The rest is using the Linux copy command.

I suggest you google how to do that. It is one of the few annoying things about the Synology, the way they hide the installation directory. It is not really necessary and it makes this kind of backup a real pain.

It would be really good if somebody could do a script that automatically copies all the preferences and settings and saves them somewhere visible and a similar script to copy them back again.
    Matt
    SqueezeBoxes: 2 x piCorePlayers
    Server: One of the piCorePlayers
    Livingroom: pCP, Linn LP12, Naim 72/Hi-cap/110/Headline amp, B&W CM2 speakers
    Dining: piCorePlayer, Steljes NS3 active speakers

Quote Originally Posted by TheLastMan View Post
    You need to telnet the IP address of your Synology and use the username "root" and the normal administrator password. The rest is using the Linux copy command.
    WinSCP is simply a user-friendly GUI frontend that does exactly that.