Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Angry Squeezebox Boom won't power on

I plugged in my squeezebox Boom for the first time in a few months. I turned it on, it came on and connected to my network then did an update. After completing the update it shut off and I have not been able to get it to power back on again. This unit is only 6 months old. What could have happened and how can I fix it. Please HELP!

Since it is only 6 months old contact Logitech for a replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by Airlia View Post
    I plugged in my squeezebox Boom for the first time in a few months. I turned it on, it came on and connected to my network then did an update. After completing the update it shut off and I have not been able to get it to power back on again. This unit is only 6 months old. What could have happened and how can I fix it. Please HELP!

Does the firmware menu still works ? press the left < button for a while ?

Can you see it from mysqueezebox.com or you local squeezeboxserver ?

Check the player settings if some of the display settings regarding brigthness have got some weird values getting it completely dark.

If the fw menu works you should be able to to connect ty mysqueezebox.com or the local server
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Rasbery PI digi+ MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Loggia: Raspi hifiberry dac + Adams
    Bathroom : Radio (with battery)
    iPad with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server Intel NUC Esxi VM Linux mint 18 LMS 7.9.2

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

I had exactly the same problem and Im convinced there is some sort of problem with the boom when its been off for a while (Ive seen a few other problems reported of the unit appearing to go dead like this) - if the unit has power getting to it (front panel lights ok for example) definitely try the firmware button. I would be interested if this solved it for you.

One of my two Boom units has done the same

No green display even on power up but the buttons do illuminate and get brighter when you push them.

Power on with + did not help nor does holding <

Having two of them I have also tried with the working one's power unit which made no difference.

It also does not show up on the network so I guess it's dead Jim

Automan.

Quote Originally Posted by Automan View Post
    One of my two Boom units has done the same

No green display even on power up but the buttons do illuminate and get brighter when you push them.

Power on with + did not help nor does holding <

Having two of them I have also tried with the working one's power unit which made no difference.

It also does not show up on the network so I guess it's dead Jim

Automan.
    Well, once you do the "+" power on the Boom it is now reset to factory default, therefore requiring network setup, which in turn requires the screen to be working to go through the setup. So now it can't connect to your network.

Best I can suggest is to try a few more factory resets to maybe kick start the screen.
    Unplug Boom, press & hold "+", plug Boom back in, look for "Factory Reset.." on screen.

Couple of other last ditch effort ideas:
    - try NET:UDAP utility? Maybe it can get it connected to your network then try to adjust Brightness via web UI? I've never uset NET:UDAP myself.
    - maybe find an SB3 remote with the Brightness button on it?

I tried a factory reset on my working one.

Plug in power lead while pressing + key, display says factory reset, reboots and then you have to set it all up again.

My dead one however does not so I guess my one along with many others must have a failed component inside.

I have searched the web for repairers or spares but with no luck.

It is over the two years old

Automan.

If your Boom came with a 2 year warranty you may have another year warranty through your credit card. This is assuming:
    - original warranty was 2 years
    - you purchased it from an authorized Squeezebox retailer
    - your credit card offers this automatic buyer protection (many do)

Re checking my order history I got them in 2009 so it is just under two years old.

Replacement unit is on its way

Automan.

My replacement unit arrived today from the Netherlands.

Unit worked first time and await instructions on how to return duff unit which is all packed up ready to go.

Many thanks Logitech.

Automan.