Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 33 of 98 FirstFirst ... 2331323334354383 ... LastLast
    Robin Bowes

soundcheck's Touch Toolbox 2.0

On 10/02/11 17:51, soundcheck wrote:
    > Those people reporting
    > their positive experiences were continuously insulted.

You find it insulting if someone disagrees with your opinion?

That's either arrogant, or stupid, or both.

R.
    --
    "Feed that ego and you starve the soul" - Colonel J.D. Wilkes
    http://www.theshackshakers.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Bowes View Post
    On 10/02/11 17:51, soundcheck wrote:
    > Those people reporting
    > their positive experiences were continuously insulted.

You find it insulting if someone disagrees with your opinion?

That's either arrogant, or stupid, or both.

R.
    --
    "Feed that ego and you starve the soul" - Colonel J.D. Wilkes
    http://www.theshackshakers.com/
    +1. I have no dog in this hunt, but I'm amazed at the continuing idea that asking a serious question or positing a differing opinion seems to be equated to personal attacks. Nonsense! We're adults (I assume), this is public forum, and based on my reading, Soundcheck's mods have been treated very fairly by those posting here. A little thicker skin is in order.

Personal attacks or a "hijacking". Seems that the author has one of the other definitions of "support" in mind for this "support thread".

Quote Originally Posted by soundcheck View Post
    You as the commercial person behind iPeng better stay out of this bullsh.. driven by some ......!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by soundcheck View Post
    And: I didn't insult anybody.

Those people reporting their positive experiences with my modification proposals
    were continuously insulted. So -- please -- don't twist the reality!
    Sorry, I believe we simply have a different view on what an insult is.
    _I_ regard calling somebody "some .....!!!" who drives "bullsh.." as an insult while you seem to regard doubting the effectiveness of a measure an insult.

I just wanted to give you the constructive feedback that I believe that there are more people out there who share my interpretation.
    I personally have not really participated in this thread. I just found it funny (except for the insulting part), which is why I read it. I did not and will not comment on the value of the mods.
    Last edited by pippin; 2011-02-10 at 11:24.
    ---
    learn more about iPeng, the iPhone and iPad remote for the Squeezebox and
    Logitech UE Smart Radio as well as iPeng Party, the free Party-App,
    at penguinlovesmusic.com
    New: iPeng 9, the Universal App for iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch

Wife caught cheating with Soundcheck

Sadly, a friend of mine who applied ALL Soundcheck's mods to his Touch told me earlier today that his wife was so smitten by the improved sound clarity that she gave in and cheated on him with Soundcheck.

Married people, beware Soundcheck's mods! What's more important to you -- good sound, or sound marriage?

Quote Originally Posted by magiccarpetride View Post

Married people, beware Soundcheck's mods! What's more important to you -- good sound, or sound marriage?
    No, no, no.

With SBTouch and soundcheck's mods you can have both!

Guido F.
    Music Room:
    Marantz TT 15S1, Virtuoso Wood Cartridge>ART ADC>Vinyl Studio
    CISCO Router>DLink Bridge>Vortexbox Appliance/Squeezelite>SOtM Card>REGEN>Benchmark DAC2 D>Little Dot Mk 9 Preamp>DSPeaker Antimode Dual Core DRC/EQ/Preamp+CIA PS>Music Reference RM-200 Mk II amp> Martin Logan SL3 speakers
    REL T1 Sub
    Bedroom:
    Squeezebox Touch (analog out)>Little Dot Mk III amp>AKG K701 headphones
    Sony D100 amp>PSB alpha B1 speakers
    Treadmill:
    FiiO X3 Digital Music Player>AKG K550 headphones

Has anyone else noticed that the 1,000 plus posters around here who continually get caught up in challenging these mods and their supposed benefits have not even tried and drawn a conclusion after at least testing these mods.
    Its a sad reflection on them...must keep a watch on my post count to make sure i do not reach the 1,000 plus mark and start breathing that rarefied air up there!!
    The only reason i am still hanging around here is in the hope that Phil might finally post results of his tests, at least he was willing to try the mods but i wonder why we are not seeing any results.

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Sligolad View Post
    Has anyone else noticed that the 1,000 plus posters around here who continually get caught up in challenging these mods and their supposed benefits have not even tried and drawn a conclusion after at least testing these mods.
    Its a sad reflection on them...must keep a watch on my post count to make sure i do not reach the 1,000 plus mark and start breathing that rarefied air up there!!
    The only reason i am still hanging around here is in the hope that Phil might finally post results of his tests, at least he was willing to try the mods but i wonder why we are not seeing any results.
    I have the results for the analogue outs... I will post them shortly - promise (I know I've said this before, sorry)
    You want to see the signal path BEFORE it gets onto a CD/vinyl...it ain't what you'd call minimal...
    Touch(wired/W7)+Teddy Pardo PSU - Audiolense 3.3/2.0+INGUZ DRC - MF M1 DAC - Linn 5103 - full Aktiv 5.1 system (6x LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Pekin Tuner, Townsend Supertweeters,VdH Toslink,Kimber 8TC Speaker & Chord Signature Plus Interconnect cables
    Stax4070+SRM7/II phones
    Kitchen Boom, Outdoors: SB Radio, Harmony One remote for everything.

results of ADM tests on Soundcheck mods - part 1

Finally the FIRST SET of results of my AudioDiffMaker (ADM) testing with Soundcheck's Touch mods.

These results only refer to the Touch analogue outputs. S/pdif into an external DAC will follow asap.

I'm not going explain about ADM again, other than to remind people that ADM has NOTHING to do with conventional measurements (e.g THD etc) and was developed by people who really know what they are doing!

The "measurements" only detect differences - they don't have anything to say about "better" or "worse". You get to decide better or worse with your ears. Nor do they say anything about whether the differences (IF ANY) WILL BE AUDIBLE.

All the details you could want about ADM are here: http://www.libinst.com/

OK so here is the test setup:

1) Stock Touch with stock PSU connected via analogue outs and Kimber Tonic cable to M-Audio 24/96 card running at 24/96.
    2) test track: Steely Dan - Deacon Blue (from Aja - recently remastered Japanese SHM-CD) 16/44.1.
    3) track was streamed to Touch as PCM from sbs 7.6 on XP sp3. via Ethernet.
    4) Test methodology: each test was repeated 10 times. The lowest and highest scores were eliminated and the remainder averaged.
    5) ADM tests for "nulls" - i.e. similarities. The higher the score, the deeper the null, meaning that the two files are more similar.
    So, where the null score is high, no measurable change has occurred. A lower score indicates a bigger change. A high null score CANNOT happen by accident.
    6) Ambient temperature was within 0.5 degrees centigrade throughout the tests.
    7) Tests were conducted in the early hours of the morning, when mains quality is highest (having said that, my mains is pretty clean most of the time anyway. I have a ground connection via an 8ft copper earth spike into damp soil.)

PLEASE NOTE: I AM USING SBS 7.6 - this means that the buffer mod and jive2 mod do not work - I HAVE NOT TESTED THESE.

It has taken me a long time to do these tests as I only have a single core machine and each test takes 25-30 mins of number crunching (I'm using ADM sample, gain and time alignment for maximum accuracy)

Test 1 (the control)

Separate recordings made a few minutes apart. Nothing was changed.

Null score=96.96 (as a guide - that's quite a high score/deep null)

Test 2 - base level mods (kernel & watchdog - not jive2)

Null score = 96.20

Test 3 - as Test 2 + disabling the digital and USB outputs

Null score = 90.02

Test 4 - as Test 3 + disabled wlan

Null score = 86.99

Test 5 - as Test 4 + disabled screen

Null Score = 84.49

Remember: bigger number = smaller difference

As you can see, the biggest changes were induced by disabling the unused audio outputs and the wlan.

Analysing the difference file from test 5 shows that the difference is not "musical" in content - it is broadband noise (obviously at a very low level).
    This means that there is no change in actual frequency response as a result of the mods. Nor is there a change in the timing of the samples.

Might this be audible to someone? I can't say it will or won't. All I can say is "it might be audible".

I did another test 2 days ago on the new ttvol100 mod...(on top of the base mods as per test 2 above)

The null score was 96.23 (so it didn't make any difference - zip, zilch, nada). My non-scientific assessment of the margin of error in these test is +/- 0.5 by the way. It's very hard to be precise about this!

Conclusions:

1) Some people may be able to hear some changes via the analogue outs, as a result of some of these mods, depending on their ears and equipment.

2) the vol100 mod does precisely nothing (but only IF you already have volume set to maximum) - also remember I am testing SBS 7.6 with a fix for bug 14807.

Next week I will do the s/pdif tests.
    cheers
    Phil

PS anyone claiming this post is destructive/non-constructive/hijacking the thread/some kind of bizarre personal insult can take a hike. I'm not interested. It took me a long time to do these tests.

These tests weren't done for my benefit - I don't use the analogue outs.
    You want to see the signal path BEFORE it gets onto a CD/vinyl...it ain't what you'd call minimal...
    Touch(wired/W7)+Teddy Pardo PSU - Audiolense 3.3/2.0+INGUZ DRC - MF M1 DAC - Linn 5103 - full Aktiv 5.1 system (6x LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Pekin Tuner, Townsend Supertweeters,VdH Toslink,Kimber 8TC Speaker & Chord Signature Plus Interconnect cables
    Stax4070+SRM7/II phones
    Kitchen Boom, Outdoors: SB Radio, Harmony One remote for everything.

Thanks for the test results Phil. One question about the inferences. You say that the biggest measured changes were induced by disabling the unused audio outputs and the wlan. But is it possible that the order of switching things off matters? That is, maybe turning off the screen istead of the digital and USB outputs in Test 3 would have a larger increment than in Test 5, but by Test 5 diminishing returns have started to set in.

In other words, are you sure the effects of the different steps are orthogonal? I understand that no matter the order you'll get to the same difference in Test 5. I'm just asking if maybe the effect for each incremental step may depend on what steps preceded it. (I'm not an EE, but that would be a natural question in statistics.)