Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Erland's Custom Scan - multiple tag separat hardcoded?

Hi,

I think I just stumbled over a small bug in Custom Scan. I use "/" to separate multiple values in sort tags (ARTISTSORT, COMPOSERSORT etc.). This works fine with the standard menus in Squeezeserver, but Custom Scan seems not to honor the setting for the separator character.

I've got a track with the following tags

COMPOSER=Johann Sebastian Bach
    COMPOSER=Lorenzo Ghielmi
    COMPOSERSORT=Bach, Johann Sebastian/Ghielmi, Lorenzo

I would expect Lorenzo Ghielmi to appear at the letter G in a list of composers. However, with a Custom Browse menu based on composers, Ghielmi follows immediately after Bach, before Orazio Benevolo. I think this is because Custom Scan only splits tag values at a fixed character. The included help string for the "Single value tags" setting on the "Module Settings Custom Tag" pane suggests it uses the character ";".

Is my reasoning correct? If yes, could you implement a fix for this?

Greetings,
    Peter

How does your Custom Scan (Mixed Tag/Custom Tag modules) configuration look like ?
    How does your Custom Browse menu configuration look like ?

I think this should work, I suspect there is something with your configuration that causes the problem.

Theoretically, I think you should be able to only configure the "Mixed Tag" module in Custom Scan and not configure them in the "Custom Tag" module since the COMPOSER/COMPOSERSORT tags are already scanned by SBS standard scanner.
    Erland Isaksson (My homepage)
    Developer of many plugins/applets
    Starting with LMS 8.0 I no longer support my plugins/applets (see here for more information )

Quote Originally Posted by erland View Post
    How does your Custom Scan (Mixed Tag/Custom Tag modules) configuration look like ?
    How does your Custom Browse menu configuration look like ?

I think this should work, I suspect there is something with your configuration that causes the problem.

Theoretically, I think you should be able to only configure the "Mixed Tag" module in Custom Scan and not configure them in the "Custom Tag" module since the COMPOSER/COMPOSERSORT tags are already scanned by SBS standard scanner.
    Custom Tags
    Tags to scan: OWNER,ORIGIN,WORK,DECADE,COMPOSERSORT,WORKSORT,REL EASEYEAR
    Single value tags: ORIGIN,RELEASEYEAR
    Tag mapping: DECADE=combine YEAR(exp=^(\d\d\d))|YEAR(text=0)
    Sort tag mapping: COMPOSER=COMPOSERSORT,WORK=WORKSORT

Mixed Tags
    just the standard settings

Custom Browse
    Level 1 tag name = COMPOSER
    Level 1 tag type = Artist
    Level 1 sort tag name = COMPOSERSORT
    Level 1 sort by ARTISTSORT = FALSE
    Level 1 sort numeric = FALSE

I think originally I did not have the COMPOSERSORT tag in Custom Tags, but then it wouldn't work at all. I think SB doesn't support COMPOSERSORT by default.

Addendum
    I just saw your post in another thread http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...t=composersort, so I'll try without the COMPOSERSORT in the menu. I'll post my results.
    Last edited by pputzer; 2010-12-31 at 03:36.

If you say that SBS doesn't support COMPOSERSORT and it works in the standard menus, it feels really strange. If it works in the standard menu the standard SBS scanner must have some logic for this, it definitely doesn't get the information from Custom Scan plugin. The Custom Scan plugin shouldn't have any effect on the standard SBS menus.

Combining separate COMPOSER tags with a single COMPOSERSORT tag feels a bit risky, I'm not sure it's possible to guarantee in which order the COMPOSER tags are read.

I'm guessing you have configured "/" as the "Separator for Multiple Items in Tags" in SBS Settings.

Could you try to:
    1. Replace "COMPOSERSORT" with "COMPOSER" in "Custom Tags/Tags to scan"
    2. Empty the "Composer tags" field in "Mixed Tags" configuration. This will make sure it picks the COMPOSER tag from Custom Scan and not from SBS tables.
    3. Perform a rescan with Custom Scan and see if it makes any difference.

I'm not sure this is going to work but it might be worth a try since I don't have the time to do further investigation at the moment.
    Starting with LMS 8.0 I no longer support my plugins/applets (see here for more information )

If you say that SBS doesn't support COMPOSERSORT and it works in the standard menus, it feels really strange. If it works in the standard menu the standard SBS scanner must have some logic for this, it definitely doesn't get the information from Custom Scan plugin. The Custom Scan plugin shouldn't have any effect on the standard SBS menus.
    I meant that the multivalue splitting works with ARTIST and ARTISTSORT in the standard menus.

Combining separate COMPOSER tags with a single COMPOSERSORT tag feels a bit risky, I'm not sure it's possible to guarantee in which order the COMPOSER tags are read.
    Originally, I used iTunes and had a single ARTIST, COMPOSER etc. tag + the corresponding *SORT tag. Then I switched to FLAC. However, there seemed to be problems guaranteeing the ordering when the *SORT tag was also split, so I tried the current configuration, which for the standard menus in SBS seems to be OK. If there is some better way to have multiple ARTIST/COMPOSER/PERFORMER ... tags with *SORT tags, I'd gladly implement it.

I'm guessing you have configured "/" as the "Separator for Multiple Items in Tags" in SBS Settings.
    Yes.

Could you try to:
    1. Replace "COMPOSERSORT" with "COMPOSER" in "Custom Tags/Tags to scan"
    2. Empty the "Composer tags" field in "Mixed Tags" configuration. This will make sure it picks the COMPOSER tag from Custom Scan and not from SBS tables.
    3. Perform a rescan with Custom Scan and see if it makes any difference.

I'm not sure this is going to work but it might be worth a try since I don't have the time to do further investigation at the moment.
    I'm trying that just now, it seemed to work for the original poster in the other thread. Does your statement mean that configured *SORT tags are automatically picked up by Custom Scan and do not need to be included in "Tags to scan"?

Greetings,
    Peter

Solved!

Removing COMPOSER from Mixed Tags and adding it to Custom Tags in conjunction with removing COMPOSERSORT from the Custom Browse menu did it :-)

Thanks for the quick reply :-)

Greetings,
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by pputzer View Post
    Does your statement mean that configured *SORT tags are automatically picked up by Custom Scan and do not need to be included in "Tags to scan"?
    Just to confirm, you only need the normal (non *SORT) tags in the "Tags to scan" field. The *SORT tags you have specified in the "Sort tag mapping" field will be picked up automatically.