Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 16 of 16
  1. #11
    Senior Member Pascal Hibon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    1,561
    Same here. Local SBS and Radio's alarm is spot on.

    I can imagine many people having issues with the Radio but in most cases these are related to using mySB.com. The Radio has attracted a different type of users to the Squeezebox family. I guess most Radio users bought it as an “Internet Radio” as opposed to a Squeezebox audio streamer (that can do Internet radio too of course). But most Radio users won’t be listening to their local digital music and just use mySB.com instead.
    Cambridge Audio 851D-S -> Focal MP1200 -> Focal Electra 1028 Be
    1 x SB Boom, 1 x SB Radio, 1 x SB Touch and 2 x RPI 2B
    1 x SB3 and 1 x SB Touch in storage
    ReadyNAS NVX for storage
    RPI 2B running LMS 7.9.2.
    iPeng on iPhone, SqueezePad & iPeng on iPad.
    http://www.last.fm/user/phibon

  2. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    274
    Maybe "working" is also a matter of definition. Some people claim the alarm is fine if the backup alarm wakes them up.
    If you expect the alarm to fade softly in exactly at the defined time, play the programmed internet station for the programmed time, then the reliability is like 5% or less.
    Most of the time the alarm starts to early, doesn't fade in, stops after a random time (which can be less than a seconds) or the backup sound is played at full volume either instantly or after a random time.
    The again, complete failure (in the sense nothing is played at all) is rather seldom currently. There were times though where this happened with a 50% chance just because Logitech messed with the MYSB servers again.
    The alarm might be a bit better with a local server, but the issues seem to exist there as well, which is kinda logical as they are caused by the broken system design.

  3. #13
    Senior Member Pascal Hibon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    1,561
    Quote Originally Posted by 0xdeadbeef View Post
    Maybe "working" is also a matter of definition. Some people claim the alarm is fine if the backup alarm wakes them up.
    If you expect the alarm to fade softly in exactly at the defined time, play the programmed internet station for the programmed time, then the reliability is like 5% or less.
    Most of the time the alarm starts to early, doesn't fade in, stops after a random time (which can be less than a seconds) or the backup sound is played at full volume either instantly or after a random time.
    The again, complete failure (in the sense nothing is played at all) is rather seldom currently. There were times though where this happened with a 50% chance just because Logitech messed with the MYSB servers again.
    The alarm might be a bit better with a local server, but the issues seem to exist there as well, which is kinda logical as they are caused by the broken system design.
    I can assure you that I do not experience any of those issues with my Radio.
    The alarms do fade in; I use a playlist that points to my favourite radio station and it never missed an alarm once (up until now). The alarm time is stable and correct.
    I’m running SBS 7.5.0 on a ReadyNAS NVX Pioneer.
    I’m quite happy with the Radio. The only thing I’m missing is tone controls.

    Maybe you should give the local SBS a try to see if the behaviour is any better?
    Cambridge Audio 851D-S -> Focal MP1200 -> Focal Electra 1028 Be
    1 x SB Boom, 1 x SB Radio, 1 x SB Touch and 2 x RPI 2B
    1 x SB3 and 1 x SB Touch in storage
    ReadyNAS NVX for storage
    RPI 2B running LMS 7.9.2.
    iPeng on iPhone, SqueezePad & iPeng on iPad.
    http://www.last.fm/user/phibon

  4. #14
    I run a local server that is on a UPS and is always on. I have to agree with other posts that the alarm is not 100% reliable. I get the selected sound, or the backup noise reliably probably 95+% of the time. The sound volume and fade-in sometimes work and sometimes don't, but I get a noise that wakes me up (not always gently...).

    It is the other <5% of the time, when I get no alarm at all, or one with no sound. Being late for work or missing a flight or appointment, although rare, made me unhappy.

    For a year, I have been using a cheap alarm clock as backup, which is sad for a $150 clock radio. It clearly works in some cases and not in others, as evidenced by the many posts here. If it were truly reliable, there would not be the volume of posts here.

    Other than the alarm, the radio's capabilities are amazing. I think that with better marketing, Logitech could have gotten a lot more sales from the Squeezebox series. Most consumers have never heard of it.

  5. #15
    Senior Member Pascal Hibon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    1,561
    There is of course also your local network (wireless / Ethernet) and your internet connection that comes into play. If one of those is not functioning properly then that can influence the alarms. For example, if your alarm is playing the “backup sounds” (don’t know how to call it) then it could point to an unreliable internet connection. If the Radio isn’t able to stream your radio station it will play a local backup sound.
    Also, what software versions are you running?
    Cambridge Audio 851D-S -> Focal MP1200 -> Focal Electra 1028 Be
    1 x SB Boom, 1 x SB Radio, 1 x SB Touch and 2 x RPI 2B
    1 x SB3 and 1 x SB Touch in storage
    ReadyNAS NVX for storage
    RPI 2B running LMS 7.9.2.
    iPeng on iPhone, SqueezePad & iPeng on iPad.
    http://www.last.fm/user/phibon

  6. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    274
    Quote Originally Posted by Pascal Hibon View Post
    If the Radio isn’t able to stream your radio station it will play a local backup sound.
    Well, the problem regarding this theory is that there are cases where the alarm is not played at all or for such a short time that it's indeed not audible, especially if the fade in works for a change.

    In 99.999% of these cases, there is nothing to be found in the router logs that would explain this behavior and usually the Radio can play the stream instantly and without further chokes if it was started manually.

    Besides, the typical failure in my case is that the Radio starts to fade in several minutes before the programmed alarm for a few seconds and then stops again. With a probability of like 40%, it will then continue with the programmed stream (without fade in), with 55% likelihood it will then play the fallback alarm at full volume and in the remaining 5% it stays silent.

    There were some cases where the Radio didn't react to anything or claimed it was not connected to MYSB or had no WLAN although it still could be partially controlled via the MYSB remote control. But the usual case is that the Radio can immediately play any stream if I press a preset button.

    Now sorry, you can shift the blame for this to my rock stable internet connection or whatever, but to me it's obvious that the Radio is buggy to its core.

    Maybe the different behavior (if there really is one) can be explained by tolerances e.g. regarding the accuracy of the time base for the 2nd CPU (I wouldn't call it a realtime clock). Anyway, if Logitech builds hardware with such tolerances, they should feel the need to implement a design that can handle them. As they should be able to debounce the off button. Obviously they aren't - which is kinda annoying.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •