Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pre-purchase questions

I am a reasonably happy Touch owner and have SBS running on a NAS. I am thinking about buying a Radio for my daughter. She will want to use it as an alarm as well as playing music. I have a couple of questions.
    1. Is the alarm reliable with SBS? I have had a brief skim through the forum and appreciate that there are some Very Angry People. There is some suggestion that this is because they are using mysqueezebox.com, and that SBS users were relatively happy.
    Can I be reasonably confident with this solution.
    I don't really want to be responsible for buying her an alarm clock that doesn't work as this will be My Fault. I can't rely on her to implement or maintain tweaky solutions. I don't want to have to get up and go into her bedroom to find out whether the Radio has worked either; otherwise I might as well give up drinking and become a responsible parent.
    2 can I set up the Radio (or SBS) to access a separate My Music database of hers. Curiously she does not share my enthusiasm for Wagner and i have a lot more albums than her. This is probably not fatal because she uses napster mainly.

I can answer your first question - if you are running SBS on a server the alarm is reliable (i.e. always wakes you up). Or at least has been for me. If you are trying to use a radio stream sometimes this is replaced by a system noise (awful) which, with a bit of hacking can be changed. However, waking up with music is solid. mysqueezebox.com seems to leave people approaching heart attacks...

I can't answer your second question ...

Jon
    Main system: SB Touch, Arcam A85, Tannoy V4i speakers
    SB Classic into JVC R-1XL Stereo Receiver and JPW bookshelf speakers (an Ebay/ Freecycle set up!)
    SB Boom, Logitech Z4 subwoofer
    SB Radio
    LMS 7.8.0 running on WHS 2011 on a HP Prolaint Microserver
    Orange Squeeze/ Squeeze Commander on Google Nexus 7 and HTC One

Thanks, that's helpful.

I have the SB Radio since a couple of days but so far the alarms did a very good job. I suspect it will continue to be because the alarms depend greatly on SBS and it has been working on my Boom flawlessly.

SBS only supports one music library.
    You could separate your and her music by using playlists. But it isnĺt so convenient to use playlists for that purpose.
    Cambridge Audio 851D-S -> Focal MP1200 -> Focal Electra 1028 Be
    1 x SB Boom, 1 x SB Radio, 1 x SB Touch and 2 x RPI 2B
    1 x SB3 and 1 x SB Touch in storage
    ReadyNAS NVX for storage
    RPI 2B running LMS 7.9.2.
    iPeng on iPhone, SqueezePad & iPeng on iPad.
    http://www.last.fm/user/phibon

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal Hibon View Post
    I have the SB Radio since a couple of days but so far the alarms did a very good job. I suspect it will continue to be because the alarms depend greatly on SBS and it has been working on my Boom flawlessly.

SBS only supports one music library.
    You could separate your and her music by using playlists. But it isnĺt so convenient to use playlists for that purpose.
    Thanks. Hmmmm
    I wonder whether it is possible to achieve the result by creating a custom genre(?)

Well I just noticed this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=83613
    It seems there is a plugin that supports two music libraries.
    Cambridge Audio 851D-S -> Focal MP1200 -> Focal Electra 1028 Be
    1 x SB Boom, 1 x SB Radio, 1 x SB Touch and 2 x RPI 2B
    1 x SB3 and 1 x SB Touch in storage
    ReadyNAS NVX for storage
    RPI 2B running LMS 7.9.2.
    iPeng on iPhone, SqueezePad & iPeng on iPad.
    http://www.last.fm/user/phibon

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal Hibon View Post
    Well I just noticed this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=83613
    It seems there is a plugin that supports two music libraries.
    Thank you again.

Creating a separate genre is a quick easy fix for separating music libraries. This assumes that your daughter doesn't care about labeling genres on her music.

I did this for my brother and his wife's music.
    Rich
    ---------
    Setup: 2 SB3s, 4 Booms, 1 Duet, 1 Receiver, 1 Touch, iPeng on iPod Touch, SqueezeCommander, OrangeSqueeze, and SqueezePlayer on Xoom and Galaxy Player 4.2. CentOS 6.3 Server running LogitechMediaServer 7.7.2 and SqueezeSlave.
    Current library stats: 40,810 songs, 3,153 albums, 582 artists.
    http://www.last.fm/user/maggior

The alarm is not reliable. For over a year, it has exhibited various problems, which change randomly over time, as software updates are released.

Logitech has not fixed the problem, which stems largely from the poor design, which implements alarms as a client-server task, requiring interactions between the radio, Mysqueezebox, and your local server.

Some people claim that it works, which I suspect is related to their specific server and network setup and characteristics.

A cheap alarm clock, next to the radio has been my solution.

I would not recommend the radio for anyone needing a reliable alarm clock.

Quote Originally Posted by davenva View Post
    The alarm is not reliable. For over a year, it has exhibited various problems, which change randomly over time, as software updates are released.

Logitech has not fixed the problem, which stems largely from the poor design, which implements alarms as a client-server task, requiring interactions between the radio, Mysqueezebox, and your local server.

Some people claim that it works, which I suspect is related to their specific server and network setup and characteristics.

A cheap alarm clock, next to the radio has been my solution.

I would not recommend the radio for anyone needing a reliable alarm clock.
    Imho it greatly depends on whether ones uses mysb.com or has set up a SBS. SBS usually runs fine (my Radio has not missed an alarm in a very long time - I do have a very stable, hardwired network, though).