Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    MrSinatra

mp3tag BAND ALBUMARTIST TPE2

i saw this today over at mp3tag:

•CHG: renamed field name BAND to ALBUMARTIST

http://forums.mp3tag.de/index.php?showtopic=57

thats their d ver beta.

does this mean that they now are no longer going to call "TPE2" BAND, but rather ALBUMARTIST?

i understand why of course, the de facto standard out there, but i am kinda surprised to see a * tag editor * do this... meaning that they basically are going to ignore the id3 standard now, at least on this point.

in some ways, i think it will be more confusing, but for the novice coming to mp3tag uneducated, it surely will be more intuitive.

Only the name in Mp3tag of TPE2 is changed from BAND to ALBUMARTIST

The mp3tag name ALBUMARTIST is for mp3's (in the newest beta version) mapped to the ID3v2 frame TPE2.

The frame TPE2 could be used for: Band/orchestra/accompaniment according to the id3.org (http://www.id3.org/id3v2.4.0-frames)[edit]but must people use this frame as album artist.[/edit]

An tagger can (and they do) choose there one mapping names.

I find also that Albumartist a better name then BAND.

A useful link:
    http://help.mp3tag.de/main_tags.html

NB The information in this link is not yet changed for the newest beta-version of mp3tag
    Last edited by wowo; 2010-11-05 at 15:10.
    Squeezebox: 2x Touch + 2x Radio
    squeezelite-1.9.9.1372: 2x
    Logitech Media Server: Version: 8.2.0 - 1620054576
    Plugins: Dynamic Playlists v2.10.247;Spicefly SugarCube v5.22; Trackstat v3.3.602
    NAS: QNAP TS-253D (2.00GHz; 4GB); firmware 4.5.3.1652 ; QLogitechMediaserver 2.21.00 (Qnapclubstore): LogitechMediaServer 8.2.0 - 1620054576
    Tag: MusicBrainz Picard 2.6.2 (Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS); Puddletag 1.2.0 (Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS)
    Last.fm

MrSinatra
    i understand all that, but it is kinda surprising to see a tagger go "out of spec" in this way.

i'm not a mp3tag expert, but i guess my concern would be that people may never figure out that TPE2 has been hijacked. that might be ok in most cases as a practical matter, but i like knowing the ins and outs of things, and this will mask it to some degree for others who are unaware.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
    i understand all that, but it is kinda surprising to see a tagger go "out of spec" in this way.

i'm not a mp3tag expert, but i guess my concern would be that people may never figure out that TPE2 has been hijacked. that might be ok in most cases as a practical matter, but i like knowing the ins and outs of things, and this will mask it to some degree for others who are unaware.
    For me it would have been easier to understand the tagging business if no one has ever "invented" tag field mappings.

Why not use the name TPE2 with an information description through all of the programs (taggers; SBS)?

Off course this is not very user friendly for most of the people not , but in contrary it would be more logical for me.
    Plugins: Dynamic Playlists v2.10.247;Spicefly SugarCube v5.22; Trackstat v3.3.602
    NAS: QNAP TS-253D (2.00GHz; 4GB); firmware 4.5.3.1652 ; QLogitechMediaserver 2.21.00 (Qnapclubstore): LogitechMediaServer 8.2.0 - 1620054576
    Tag: MusicBrainz Picard 2.6.2 (Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS); Puddletag 1.2.0 (Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS)
    Last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by wowo View Post
    Why not use the name TPE2 with an information description through all of the programs (taggers; SBS)?

Off course this is not very user friendly for most of the people not , but in contrary it would be more logical for me.
    Sounds like you answered your own question.

Another reason is that without mapping the underlying field name it makes it impossible to use an kind of saved action that uses raw field name on other any type of file with a different tagging system.

MrSinatra
    i, like most people, use TPE2 as AA. its just easy that way, to go along with it.

but for those who don't, those who use TPE2 "properly," and do AA via a TXXX frame, i wonder if this new change to mp3tag will mess them up?

can mp3tag be re-configured to work the way it used to?

Quote Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
    i, like most people, use TPE2 as AA. its just easy that way, to go along with it.

but for those who don't, those who use TPE2 "properly," and do AA via a TXXX frame, i wonder if this new change to mp3tag will mess them up?

can mp3tag be re-configured to work the way it used to?
    You can re-configure mp3tag with the "User-defined field mappings": see tools > options > tags > mapping

http://help.mp3tag.de/main_mapping.html

If you want to have back the BAND name in Mp3tag:
    tag: ID3v2
    source: ALBUMARTIST
    target: BAND

Restart mp3tag.
    I hope this answers your question.
    Of course you must check if everything works you would will.
    Last edited by wowo; 2010-11-06 at 07:14.
    Last.fm

>•CHG: renamed field name BAND to ALBUMARTIST
    >

Yes, for some strange reason that has happened.

Big mistake - for many reasons, esp. being in a point release, which could really confuse existing users.

There are new bugs/issues yet unresolved as a result - eg. scripting support and custom columns & scripts that existing users have already set up.

Interaction with Foobar is now screwed by default, as that doesn't support TPE2=ALBUM ARTIST, and it is now not possible to write to a custom TXXX ALBUMARTIST column, as it writes to BAND instead.

There are other changes to Mp3Tag id3 tag mapping names, such as album/artist sort column names, ITUNES* tag names, etc, which may also confuse/break existing users.

It seems the author responded to a single user's suggestion (after having been configured the old way for many years), and not even made it configurable.

I do remember a similar change a few years back in an Mp3Tag beta release, and subsequently the author admitted it was a mistake and backed out the change. Strange that it is happening all over again.

Ah well, there's no need to "upgrade" - I'm happy with the version I've got.

>For me it would have been easier to understand the tagging business if
    >no one has ever "invented" tag field mappings.
    >
    >Why not use the name TPE2 with an information description through all
    >of the programs (taggers; SBS)?

Yeah, exactly. TPE2 is a silly frame name to start with. id3 tags are so crap!

>but for those who don't, those who use TPE2 "properly," and do AA via a
    >TXXX frame, i wonder if this new change to mp3tag will mess them up?
    >
    >can mp3tag be re-configured to work the way it used to?
    >

I think to some degree it can, but there are issues.

You could reconfigure the column names and Quick Tag panel names, but the Advanced Tag dialog and scripting would work using the Mp3Tag names. But scripting still uses the old names, I think, and the internal Mp3Tag names are used in the Advanced Tags... dialog (names can't be changed, only what they map do).

In previous versions, writing to what Mp3Tag calls "BAND" would write to TPE2. Writing to "ALBUMARTIST" would write to TXXX ALBUMARTIST, and "ALBUM ARTIST" -> TXXX ALBUM ARTIST.

Now, "BAND" would write to a TXXX BAND tag, which it was not previously possible to write to (because it would not create a custom tag - it would always map back to TPE2). It is not not possible to write to a TXXX ALBUMARTIST tag, because that will always write to TPE2 instead.

Creating a custom column called "ALBUM ARTIST" is unaffected (will still write to TXXX ALBUM ARTIST), which is good because this is what FooBar2000 uses. However, writing to BAND in Foobar will appear as ALBUMARTIST in Mp3Tag.