Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

very odd comp tag question

>FILE > ADD FOLDER TO LIBRARY (then select top music library
    >directory)
    >
    >This will rescan the entire music directory and subdirectories. It will
    >just read and skip over songs that are already in the itunes database,
    >but it will add any new songs it finds.

This doesn't delete orphaned songs though.

MrSinatra
    Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    Assuming your files are all in a single music directory (music/artists/albums, etc.), in ITUNES:

FILE > ADD FOLDER TO LIBRARY (then select top music library directory)

This will rescan the entire music directory and subdirectories. It will just read and skip over songs that are already in the itunes database, but it will add any new songs it finds.

edit: make sure you turn off the "allow itunes to reorganize music files" option if you don't want itunes renaming and/or moving the files within your structure. Doesn't really matter on my end as my naming/directory approach is identical to the itunes approach.
    thats my beef i think, itunes doesn't seem to rescan for changes, like to the tags, or deleted files... it SUCKS in this regard, b/c even if it does stuff automatically in the background, i have no idea if thats true, and even if it is, there should be manual control over scans, rescans, etc... its also counter-intuitive to "add" a folder you ALREADY added, when what you really want to do is scan for changes.

and i got that option turned off. itunes is evil.

Quote Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
    thats my beef i think, itunes doesn't seem to rescan for changes, like to the tags, or deleted files... it SUCKS in this regard, b/c even if it does stuff automatically in the background, i have no idea if thats true, and even if it is, there should be manual control over scans, rescans, etc... its also counter-intuitive to "add" a folder you ALREADY added, when what you really want to do is scan for changes.

and i got that option turned off. itunes is evil.
    true on not picking up tag changes automatically, but I recall that it did remove deleted files just fine when I readded a folder. But to be honest, once in a while I simply delete my library in itunes and rescan everything from scratch. It takes a few hours, but it forces it to pick up all the tag changes I may have made, file additions, etc. I don't use itunes ratings, etc., so I don't lose anything by doing a complete rescan in itunes. And I'm only using itunes to load my iDevices....

MrSinatra
    Quote Originally Posted by Philip Meyer View Post
    >lets say you had a comp CD, and you rip it, but you decide you only want
    >one track from the CD.
    >

If I only want one (or a sub-set) of tracks from an album, I clear the ALBUM tag, such that the tracks appear within "No Album", as it's not really an album any more.
    well, thats cool if it works for you, but i disagree with that approach... even a single track from an album is from that album. the album moniker is to note that info, meaning the album source of the track, not denote how many tracks you have from an "album." (how many tracks before its no longer an "album" in your view anyway?)

in any case, i use my music with more than just SBS. winamp, portable players, etc... the album tag is necessary given that.

Of course, I would also not have an Album Artist tag, because there isn't an album, and therefore no common artist name for that album. i.e. I wouldn't want to group a couple of tracks together - I'd find them under the artist name appearing under "No Album".
    to each his own of course, but that would be a nightmare for me.

>(just not blank, b/c AA tags can be used to sort the album
    >and over-ride the comp tag in SBS, right?)
    >

AA tags don't sort albums. There's an ALBUMSORT tag for sorting albums.
    they aren't expressly MEANT to sort albums, but in fact they DO sort albums. this is something i do, where i think its similar to you voiding out the album tag. i simply use AA on everything, which defeats the SBS VA logic, and allows me to sort everything by AA tag, even if an album, or single track, has an explicit comp=1 tag.

in most of my stuff the artist tag and AA tag are the same. but i use a variety of AA "categories" that group some stuff together, such as:

Classical
    Irish - Various Artists
    Soundtracks (TV)
    Soundtracks (Film)
    Soundtracks (Stage)
    Various Artists

etc, and any of these may, or may not be broken down further into more detailed sub-divisions.

i use AA tags b/c they are universally supported the same way by nearly everything, its just very easy and compatible. i've started adding comp tags b/c its good for itunes folks, while only slightly putting me out in SBS. (i don't need them for myself specifically)

>if you have a comp with AA tags and only one track, do you use a comp
    >tag = 1 on it?
    >
    >and same Q, but this time without AA tags?
    >

No, one track doesn't make an album a compilation.
    well, i guess i'd say on that score that a comp tag should indicate source, not current status, just like the album tag issue above. but that really wasn't my question or point i was trying to get at... what i was getting at, was would there be anything "weird" or "unexpected" in the behavior of SBS or itunes if one were to do this? from what i can tell, it doesn't seem so. one track or 20, both apps seem to treat it the same way regardless.

>well, thats cool if it works for you, but i disagree with that
    >approach...
    >

There's no right or wrong answer, really - it's what works best for the individual. I was just suggesting an alternative approach.

>The album moniker is to note that info, meaning the album source of the
    >track, not denote how many tracks you have from an "album." (how many
    >tracks before its no longer an "album" in your view anyway?)
    >

When I browse an artist and select an album to play, I'm not looking for single tracks. Eg. I have a song "Kinobe - Slip Into Something More Comfortable", which has appeared on numerous "Chillout" compilation albums. I could have ripped it from any album - it's a bit irrelevant which one it came from if I didn't want any of the other songs. If it had come out on a CD single, or if I had downloaded it as a single track from some on-line source. Some "Chill Out Ibiza Volume 50" album tag is a bit meaningless to me.

Of course if there were lots of songs on "Chill Out Ibiza Volume 50" I would rip the whole album (perhaps ignore one or two songs). If there were only a couple of songs I liked, I'd just rip them as singles.

>in any case, i use my music with more than just SBS. winamp, portable
    >players, etc... the album tag is necessary given that.
    >

It's not mandatory in any app, is it? Works okay for me in Foobar, iTunes, MusicIP, etc.

>they aren't expressly MEANT to sort albums, but in fact they DO sort
    >albums.
    >

No, they don't SORT albums - but I understand what you mean :-). You may have chosen an option in SBS to sort by artist, which will sort by Album Artist and then Artist if no Album Artist is present. It is the option that is chosen that is sorting by whatever has been selected. One could equally argue that the YEAR tag is used for sorting albums too.

If you didn't have an album artist tag, and you choose to sort by artist, it would still sort the artist using the artist tag value.

MrSinatra
    mandatory? i didn't say that, but i do say necessary. in winamp for example, when you browse by artwork, it puts the album name under the art. if the tag is void, you just get blank space under the art. also, not having tags can mess up album counts and stats like that. i have found that when you don't have an artist, album, or title tag, at bare minimum, you can easily run into an apps/devices "quirks" for handling, or not handling, those cases gracefully.

as to sorting... almost everything i have used will order things in AA order if you want it to. WMP gets ugly fast without AA tags, and winamp works best with them too.

one advantage those apps have over SBS, a longtime beef with me, is that i can easily switch, on the fly, between browsing AA, or just Artists. in SBS, that requires a full rescan, which is dopey ridiculous nonsense. i should be able to simply click which way i want it, not be locked into the choice via a previous scan. (it doesn't even make sense for SBS to do this anyway, b/c to change the behavior, i have to "lie" to SBS and say my AA tag is not my AA tag. to put that another way, thats the only way i can get an all TPE1 list, as opposed to TPE2 list. SBS should do like other apps, and allow you to choose how you want to browse, in the webui window, so in albums one choice would be "Artist, Year, Album" while a second choice would be "AlbumArtist, Year, Album")

>when you browse by artwork, it puts the album name under the
    >art. if the tag is void, you just get blank space under the art.

What's wrong with that? In fact, I would even remove the artwork.

>also, not having tags can mess up album counts and stats like that.

And vice-versa. Many songs with "No Album" get counted as one album, which I would say is reflecting better album counting. Having 1000 odd singles reported as 1000 albums I would say is not reflecting true album counts. Not that album count stats are important, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
    meaning what? per file? i want to rescan whole directories, i don't know where get info is in itunes, or what it does.

one of the many things i hate about itunes, is not being able to clear and rescan the db/folders it uses.
    Well I think you can do it per album, and multi select...

MrSinatra
    >when you browse by artwork, it puts the album name under the
    >art. if the tag is void, you just get blank space under the art.

What's wrong with that? In fact, I would even remove the artwork.
    the artwork isn't part of the tag if thats what you mean. but whats wrong with that is if you want to browse by art, and want album text under it, instead of blank space, you need it there.

of course, with winamp, it is very easy to switch between art/text only lists.

>also, not having tags can mess up album counts and stats like that.

And vice-versa. Many songs with "No Album" get counted as one album, which I would say is reflecting better album counting. Having 1000 odd singles reported as 1000 albums I would say is not reflecting true album counts. Not that album count stats are important, anyway.
    to you. they are to me. i want to know how many album sources i have. of course, its not an accurate number even for me, b/c of weird stuff i DL, but in the subset of rips, it is very accurate, and overall its close enough to be relevant [to me].

MrSinatra
    Quote Originally Posted by elstensoftware View Post
    Well I think you can do it per album, and multi select...
    i'm going to try the 3rd party link above for my dad, but no one should have to do any of this. its so basic.