Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

very odd comp tag question

>the artwork isn't part of the tag if thats what you mean.
    Where artwork comes from is irrelevant - whether it's a tag or a file in the source folder.

Albums have artwork; if a song doesn't really belong on an album (exists in "No Album"), there's no relevant artwork.

>but whats wrong with that is if you want to browse by art, and want album text
    >under it, instead of blank space, you need it there.
    >

If you browse by albums by artwork, then songs not on an album won't be listed and hence no artwork and no album name text.

>to you. they are to me. i want to know how many album sources i have.

I would think that most people are happy to know how many complete albums they have and total songs, not how many sources the albums/songs came from.

Why is album sources an important count for you?

MrSinatra
    Quote Originally Posted by Philip Meyer View Post
    >the artwork isn't part of the tag if thats what you mean.
    Where artwork comes from is irrelevant - whether it's a tag or a file in the source folder.

Albums have artwork; if a song doesn't really belong on an album (exists in "No Album"), there's no relevant artwork.
    thats fine for SBS if someone likes that, but for other apps its no good. besides, i don't want the songs removed from browsing artwork, even if its just one song from an album.

>but whats wrong with that is if you want to browse by art, and want album text
    >under it, instead of blank space, you need it there.
    >

If you browse by albums by artwork, then songs not on an album won't be listed and hence no artwork and no album name text.
    i want them included. i don't want to exclude songs when browsing by art, and it wouldn't work the same anyway.

>to you. they are to me. i want to know how many album sources i have.

I would think that most people are happy to know how many complete albums they have and total songs, not how many sources the albums/songs came from.

Why is album sources an important count for you?
    i like the stats, but with winamp, b/c it has smartviews which SBS totally lacks, i can see between "total albums" and partials.

total tracks is just a raw number, but album sources gives you a rough idea of the variety within a smartview, esp if you cross reference that with number of AA, both of which display in my smartviews.

very odd comp tag question

>thats fine for SBS if someone likes that, but for other apps its no
    >good.
    >

Why is it no good? Works fine for me (in iTunes and Foobar).

>besides, i don't want the songs removed from browsing artwork,
    >even if its just one song from an album.
    >

>i want them included. i don't want to exclude songs when browsing by
    >art, and it wouldn't work the same anyway.
    >

What do you do then if you have a song that wasn't from an album and doesn't have any artwork? eg. a free download from an artists website, promoting a future release. Do you make something up?

MrSinatra
    >thats fine for SBS if someone likes that, but for other apps its no
    >good.
    >

Why is it no good? Works fine for me (in iTunes and Foobar).
    i don't use those, but i already explained why its no good for winamp and WMP is similar.

>besides, i don't want the songs removed from browsing artwork,
    >even if its just one song from an album.
    >

>i want them included. i don't want to exclude songs when browsing by
    >art, and it wouldn't work the same anyway.
    >

What do you do then if you have a song that wasn't from an album and doesn't have any artwork? eg. a free download from an artists website, promoting a future release. Do you make something up?
    it depends, case by case basis. but ultimately 2 things happen:

1. SOMETHING goes into the album tag
    2. SOMETHING gets put in the directory as Folder.jpg

that way, when i browse via artwork, everything has something for a visual represenation. so for instance, i have tons of Led Zeppelin albums, official stuff. but i also have some bootlegs and some outtakes, etc... stuff that doesn't have "official art." well, i google led zeppelin, and find some really cool pics that i use to denote that stuff, and its SO much better than just not having art for that stuff at all.

something else i do, is for a lot of tributes, i have specific art for tributes. so for one off tracks i DL or get where the album source may not be clear, i put them all in one folder and give them that art, and they have "Beatles tribute" for the AA so they follow the Beatles in the list. SO MUCH BETTER imo to group tributes with the artist they pay tribute to, unless its a covers album by a major artist, (so like David Bowies pin ups would be with David Bowie).

I do that [choose non-release art] for some classical recordings too MrSinatra. A lot of the time the actual release art is pretty bland - I'd prefer an image of the composer/conductor/performers.

Although I'm often surprised what I can find for pop music bootlegs.

MrSinatra
    i don't have that much odds and ends of classical, but i use these for those, (including the obvious one for Bachs Toccata en Fugue in D minor, which i have more than a handful of)

i also included the custom artwork my wife made for me to use for covers, (tribute songs).

MrSinatra