Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    MrSinatra

very odd comp tag question

lets say you had a comp CD, and you rip it, but you decide you only want one track from the CD.

so your artist tag would be whoever the artist was, and your albumartist tag would be "Various Artists" or "Soundtrack" or whatever... (just not blank, b/c AA tags can be used to sort the album and over-ride the comp tag in SBS, right?)

so, two weird questions really:

if you have a comp with AA tags and only one track, do you use a comp tag = 1 on it?

and same Q, but this time without AA tags?

(i am experimenting with adding them, not b/c i need them, but b/c my Dad has an ipod and he uses itunes for things and i'm seeing if i can make my stuff easier for him to use without it affecting me)

Thumbs up

Funny, I was thinking about a similar problem on the train yesterday, although I didn't start from the perspective of ripping a compilation track.

Here are my thoughts from a music player neutral point of view...

I think it comes down to whether you want to represent the track as a component of a 'release' (a better word for album, in my opinion). There's a valid use case for 'miscellanous' tracks in your music collection. Those are waifs and strays added to your collection down the years for which you are not interested in the surrounding release such as B sides, other album tracks etc.

For these, I think the correct approach is to not even tag the album and therefore no AA either but tag the artist correctly.

When applied to compilations, and indeed all albums, I think you need to make the decision of whether to go all-in and consider the track as part of a release, or not. If it's a genuine one-off miscellanous track, I say leave the album, album artist and compilation tags alone.

If you think you might want to rip the rest of the compilation later, then just rip the whole thing, be done with it and keep the lot. I think that's what I'd do to save myself the thought processes!

I think the answer depends on how you use these things. If you need the album artist or album name to find the track, and finding that album and album artist depends on the compilation tag, keep it all.

For me, I often keep individual tracks and create my individual albums by the artist because I tend to think along those lines...

What I mean is that I will take the track or two I want from an album and give it a new Album and Album Artist for all those individual tracks so that they link together in one album spot. I leave the album art for future reference and will include a comment in the tags to remind me of the original release.

As an example, I am a huge fan of U2. In the case of tracks that have ended up in compilations, I give them a new album title "Misc. U2 Tracks" under the album artist "U2". This way I can find them all in one spot without cluttering up my Various artists and/or U2 entries with a lot of 1 track albums.

MrSinatra
    well, in my case, i generally, not always, but generally keep album tags to represent the true CD source, and AA tags to sort it in the list. (ALL files will have an album tag and AA tag however)

i added some comp tags to my stuff, and what it seems to do is put that stuff in the "special" SBS comp category, which previously i don't think i even had b/c nothing was in it. i can live with that, if it makes an itunes user of my files have a smoother exp.

i'm not sure what all the ramifications are on the itunes side though, b/c i can't even figure out how to make itunes (pure shit) rescan the newly tagged files. but i think the comp tags will eventually help organize artist lists over there.

as far as SBS goes, 1 track or 100, it doesn't seem to matter numberwise, the question only seems to be do you want it to have the tag for itunes? the reason i say that is the AA tag still sorts it where you want it in SBS, and then merely adds it as a track to the special category. (so if i could figure out better all the ramifications to itunes, i would know better if i want to add the tag or not, but in general, as of now, i do add it even if its a single track from a comp)
    Last edited by MrSinatra; 2010-11-05 at 13:56.

Quote Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
    i'm not sure what all the ramifications are on the itunes side though, b/c i can't even figure out how to make itunes (pure shit) rescan the newly tagged files.
    "Get Info"?

MrSinatra
    meaning what? per file? i want to rescan whole directories, i don't know where get info is in itunes, or what it does.

one of the many things i hate about itunes, is not being able to clear and rescan the db/folders it uses.

Quote Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
    meaning what? per file? i want to rescan whole directories, i don't know where get info is in itunes, or what it does.

one of the many things i hate about itunes, is not being able to clear and rescan the db/folders it uses.
    Assuming your files are all in a single music directory (music/artists/albums, etc.), in ITUNES:

FILE > ADD FOLDER TO LIBRARY (then select top music library directory)

This will rescan the entire music directory and subdirectories. It will just read and skip over songs that are already in the itunes database, but it will add any new songs it finds.

edit: make sure you turn off the "allow itunes to reorganize music files" option if you don't want itunes renaming and/or moving the files within your structure. Doesn't really matter on my end as my naming/directory approach is identical to the itunes approach.

>lets say you had a comp CD, and you rip it, but you decide you only want
    >one track from the CD.
    >

If I only want one (or a sub-set) of tracks from an album, I clear the ALBUM tag, such that the tracks appear within "No Album", as it's not really an album any more.

Of course, I would also not have an Album Artist tag, because there isn't an album, and therefore no common artist name for that album. i.e. I wouldn't want to group a couple of tracks together - I'd find them under the artist name appearing under "No Album".

>(just not blank, b/c AA tags can be used to sort the album
    >and over-ride the comp tag in SBS, right?)
    >

AA tags don't sort albums. There's an ALBUMSORT tag for sorting albums.

>if you have a comp with AA tags and only one track, do you use a comp
    >tag = 1 on it?
    >
    >and same Q, but this time without AA tags?
    >

No, one track doesn't make an album a compilation.

>There's a valid use case for 'miscellanous' tracks in your music
    >collection.

That was my feeling - I didn't want a proliferation of albums.

In SBS, "No Album" works well. You can browse the album "No Album" and see all "single tracks that don't have an album". This is considered a compilation album, because it will have multiple different artists (can be browsed by Artists > Various Artists > No Album, or Albums > No Album). But also, if you browse to an artist, you still see "No Album", but only songs performed by the chosen artist.

>well, in my case, i generally, not always, but generally keep album tags
    >to represent the true CD source, and AA tags to sort it in the list.
    >(ALL files will have an album tag and AA tag however)
    >

When I rip songs from an album and not set the ALBUM tag, I generally write a comment to record where the song came from. You can even find the songs in SBS if you want using Advanced Search still.

>i'm not sure what all the ramifications are on the itunes side though,
    >b/c i can't even figure out how to make itunes (pure shit) rescan the
    >newly tagged files. but i think the comp tags will eventually help
    >organize artist lists over there.
    >

iTunes doesn't rescan for changes. I think that if you play a song (or go into tags using "Get Tags" or something like that), it will re-read tags and show the new values. You can delete the songs from iTunes library, and then drop the album/songs into iTunes to get it added with the correct tag content.

TIP: For correcting the iTunes library after adding new music and deleting music, use a third-party product such as "iTunes folder watch" (http://albumbrowser.klarita.net/itfw.html).