Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 496 of 506 FirstFirst ... 396446486494495496497498 ... LastLast
Results 4,951 to 4,960 of 5054
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Bob View Post
    Some time back I bought a Rega Fono phono stage that has a USB output and use this for recording to my MacBook.
    The Planar 3 has an alloy subplatter now, and I replaced the motor with one of the newer 24V motors after the original (then 20-odd year old) motor started conking out. I have the Neo PSU which allows some quite precise speed adjustments - and easy switching between 33 and 45rpm.

Anyway, I have been playing these on recent rotation:

Jackie Leven - Straight Outta Caledonia - a compilation of Leven's songs. His output was immense, this just skims the surface I think.

Tangled Shoelaces - Turn My Dial Jangly punk-pop from the early 80s form a very youthful group.

Subway Sect - Moments Like These a new release from the seemingly indefatigable Vic Godard who, back in the day, was in the vanguard of punk rock.

Robert
    So your Rega Planar 3 is a bit like Trigger's broom from Only Fools's And Horses . One thing I noticed is that I think the speed is more accurate now, it always ran very slightly fast with the old belt.

So far I have digitised Sad Cafe - Facades (1979), Marillion - Script For A Jester's Tear is next.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by slartibartfast View Post
    So your Rega Planar 3 is a bit like Trigger's broom from Only Fools's And Horses . One thing I noticed is that I think the speed is more accurate now, it always ran very slightly fast with the old belt.

So far I have digitised Sad Cafe - Facades (1979), Marillion - Script For A Jester's Tear is next.

It is very much like Trigger's broom, except I've kept the parts...I actually hanker after a Planar 8 or 10 with the skeletal plinth, but really I couldn't justify that.

A few years ago I digitised about 300 LPs - this was like a diary of my youth. I could remember buying just about every one of them, and having to play each one was something of a nostalgia trip.

Robert
    Home: Raspberry Pi 4/pCP7.0/LMS8.1.2/Material with files on QNAP TS-251A
    Touch > DacMagic 100 > Naim Audio Nait 3 > Mission 752 (plus Rega Planar 3 > Rega Fono Mini; Naim CD3)
    2 x Squeezebox Radios, 1 X Squeezebox 3 (retired), 1 x SqueezeAMP
    Office: LMS8.0.0 running on Raspberry Pi3; Raspberry Pi 3 player with touchscreen/piCorePlayer/IQaudIO DAC and Amp
    Portable: Raspberry Pi 3B/pCP7.0.1/LMS8.1.2/Material, files on Seagate portable drive, powered via power brick

It is very much like Trigger's broom, except I've kept the parts...I actually hanker after a Planar 8 or 10 with the skeletal plinth, but really I couldn't justify that.

A few years ago I digitised about 300 LPs - this was like a diary of my youth. I could remember buying just about every one of them, and having to play each one was something of a nostalgia trip.

Robert
    Did you find the UFO202 did a decent job. I still have the option to get an old Cyrus1 amp out of the loft to use the phono preamp and then use the line level input of the UFO202.
    My problem is I remember where some of the pops are on some LPs

Did you find the UFO202 did a decent job. I still have the option to get an old Cyrus1 amp out of the loft to use the phono preamp and then use the line level input of the UFO202.
    My problem is I remember where some of the pops are on some LPs

Decent enough for my purposes. But you'd be best comparing your rips with playing the LP to see if you're happy with the ripped file.

Robert
    Touch > DacMagic 100 > Naim Audio Nait 3 > Mission 752 (plus Rega Planar 3 > Rega Fono Mini; Naim CD3)
    Office: LMS8.0.0 running on Raspberry Pi3; Raspberry Pi 3 player with touchscreen/piCorePlayer/IQaudIO DAC and Amp
    Portable: Raspberry Pi 3B/pCP7.0.1/LMS8.1.2/Material, files on Seagate portable drive, powered via power brick

Decent enough for my purposes. But you'd be best comparing your rips with playing the LP to see if you're happy with the ripped file.

Robert
    Hmm the Cyrus 1 via line in sounds a lot better. Hardly surprising I suppose.

Robert
    By the way this is my cartridge. Based on an article I saw years ago and referenced here
    https://www.vinylengine.com/turntabl...ic.php?t=12736

What is the theoretical basis for that?
    I think we are wildly off-topic now!

R

I just bought a UFO202 from Amazon with the idea of recording from my Rega Planar 3. It seems to work OK, it would be nice to have a slightly higher level into Audacity though. When I got the turntable out of the loft and powered it up it didn't sound too bad at first then half way through the first side of an LP it suddenly slowed down to the extent a 4 minute track lasted 4 minutes 20 seconds. Just got a new belt also from Amazon and normal service has been resumed . I think I'll re lube the bearing as well.

I'd strongly recommend that you try VinylStudio from Alpinesoft - there is a 5 album free trial but its only about ú25 thereafter. Takes some learning but its ability to do (almost) everything that LMS needs makes it superior to using Audacity plus lots of other software to achieve the same result. The bit it doesn't do is ReplayGain - I just open the saved files in Foobar2000 and apply it before scanning into LMS - but you might not want ReplayGain anyway. It has some pre-defined correction filters that remove crackles and pops quite effectively if required - currently it can't pick up artwork from Discogs (but does from MusicBrainz) due to a change their end but the fix is coming soon. It will work with any decent USB sound card but I use with a UCA202 (connected to tape in/out on amp). UCA is line level, UFO has built in pre-amp. Time from needle drop to LMS is duration of album plus 10mins - splitting, filters and saving.
    Jim
    https://jukeradio.double6.net

VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
    Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
    Dining Room SB Radio
    Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
    Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes

What is the theoretical basis for that?
    I think we are wildly off-topic now!

R
    Everything you could want to know is on pages 8 and 9 of this pdf. I was a little surprised I could find it after all this time.
    Back on topic. Fugazi by Marillion
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    I'd strongly recommend that you try VinylStudio from Alpinesoft - there is a 5 album free trial but its only about ú25 thereafter. Takes some learning but its ability to do (almost) everything that LMS needs makes it superior to using Audacity plus lots of other software to achieve the same result. The bit it doesn't do is ReplayGain - I just open the saved files in Foobar2000 and apply it before scanning into LMS - but you might not want ReplayGain anyway. It has some pre-defined correction filters that remove crackles and pops quite effectively if required - currently it can't pick up artwork from Discogs (but does from MusicBrainz) due to a change their end but the fix is coming soon. It will work with any decent USB sound card but I use with a UCA202 (connected to tape in/out on amp). UCA is line level, UFO has built in pre-amp. Time from needle drop to LMS is duration of album plus 10mins - splitting, filters and saving.
    I find Audacity does what I need. Tracks can be split by label. Click removal may well work by selecting the whole track but I prefer to see the results for each individual click which slows things down.