Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 443 of 448 FirstFirst ... 343393433441442443444445 ... LastLast
Results 4,421 to 4,430 of 4477
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Bob View Post
    I use a Behringer UFO202 (less than ú25 on Amazon) to record from a Rega Planar 3 - it is helpful to have a long USB lead to reach the laptop or PC. I record vinyl LPs using Audacity.

Robert
    Or a UFO202. The difference is the UFO is a TT preamp whereas the UCA is line level
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom
    Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
    Everything controlled by iPeng

Marc Almond, Jeremy Reed and Othon - Against Nature. Inspired by the Huysmans novel, and rather good fun.

Name:  cover.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  94.9 KB
    Home: Raspberry Pi 3/piCoreplayer/LMS7.9.1 with files on QNAP TS-251A
    Touch > DacMagic 100 > Naim Audio Nait 3 > Mission 752 (plus Rega Planar 3 > Rega Fono Mini; Naim CD3)
    PiCorePlayer(Pi2) with IQAudIO DAC+>Sennheisers
    2 x Squeezebox Radios, 1 X Squeezebox 3 (retired), spare Pi2/piCorePlayer
    Office: LMS7.9 running on WiFi MyPassport drive > piCorePlayer(PiB)/HiFiBerryDAC > Amptastic Amplifier
    SqueezePad, iPeng as controllers

last.fm/user/GrumpyBob

Quote Originally Posted by iPhone View Post
    Anybody have suggestions on a good turntable for ripping vinyl?
    While others have suggested using your computer to record, I prefer using a standalone recorder like a Roland R-05. You don't have to worry about getting it to properly interface with your computer and it's easy to move from room to room if you have your analog components scattered around the house.

It's possible that my old ears are missing some flaws it may have, but it sounds fine to me. I set it to capture at 24bit/96kHz, copy the files into the computer and manipulate at that same rate, then when I'm done downsample to 16bit/44.1kHz. I save the capture files on Blu-rays in case I ever want to go back to them.

Quote Originally Posted by atrocity View Post
    While others have suggested using your computer to record, I prefer using a standalone recorder like a Roland R-05. You don't have to worry about getting it to properly interface with your computer and it's easy to move from room to room if you have your analog components scattered around the house.

It's possible that my old ears are missing some flaws it may have, but it sounds fine to me. I set it to capture at 24bit/96kHz, copy the files into the computer and manipulate at that same rate, then when I'm done downsample to 16bit/44.1kHz. I save the capture files on Blu-rays in case I ever want to go back to them.
    In order not to hijack this thread I have started one in Ripping, Tagging etc which repeats the advice on ripping Vinyl so far -> http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...o-FLAC-mp3-etc
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom
    Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
    Everything controlled by iPeng

Name:  Scheinman Here on Earth.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  38.8 KB

Jenny Scheinman's Here on Earth

Scheinman is an odd duck of a musician, working on the one hand in a kind of avant garde jazz idiom and on the other hand in a singer/songwriter/violinist mode. And now, on her third hand, as a kind of rootsy instrumentalist. All while getting great notice and reviews in the jazz press.

In this case she takes on a commission to provide the soundtrack for a documentary on life in Appalachia, and does it with grace and energy, supported by an excellent small group of jazz-oriented musicians (including Bill Frisell). Wonderful. I'll have it on repeat.

Some reviews:

On her latest offering, Here On Earth, she takes on the ôfiddleö music of Appalachia, sprinkles it with Irish folk music and renders it into its essence- pure, unadulterated honest music of the working class who find solace from their daily drudgery in the joyful, bittersweet bows of a violin. . . The music is served up like a banquet feast, a suite with some shining highlights, but one that stands as a totally unified piece of art. An honest effort to pay homage to a music born from hardship but never victim to despair. One can listen to this album on repeat mode, as I have, and never get weary of its haunting melodies, nor doubt its underlying message of hope. There is nothing revolutionary about this music, but Jenny Scheinmanĺs Here on Earth is a reminder that sometimes the simplest music can make the greatest impression.
    Huffington Post

Packed with moments of joyous ecstasy and wind-swept solemnity.
    Downbeat

Scheinman herself sets the tone with her violin/fiddle, and there's a fine interweaving of her instruments with the guitars from Robbie Fulks and Robbie Gjersoe as well as Danny Barnes' banjo and tuba (along with his own guitar). In addition, Bill Frisell's electric instrument adds a burnished glow.
    All About Jazz
    LMS on a dedicated server (FitPC3)
    Transporter (Ethernet) - main listening, Onkyo receiver, Paradigm speakers
    Touch (WiFi) - home theater 5.1, Sony receiver, Energy speakers
    Boom 1 (WiFi) - work-space
    Boom 2 (WiFi) - various (deck, garage, etc.)
    Radio (WiFi) - home office
    Control - Squeeze Control (Android mobile), 2 Controllers (seldom used), Squeeze Remote (on Surface Pro 4)
    Touch x 1 - spare
    UE Radio x 1 - spare
    Boom x 1 - spare
    Controller x 1 - Spare
    Duet Receiver (backup)

Quote Originally Posted by RonM View Post
    Jenny Scheinman's Here on Earth

Scheinman is an odd duck of a musician, working on the one hand in a kind of avant garde jazz idiom and on the other hand in a singer/songwriter/violinist mode. And now, on her third hand, as a kind of rootsy instrumentalist. All while getting great notice and reviews in the jazz press.

In this case she takes on a commission to provide the soundtrack for a documentary on life in Appalachia, and does it with grace and energy, supported by an excellent small group of jazz-oriented musicians (including Bill Frisell). Wonderful. I'll have it on repeat.
    Just bought this from https://royalpotatofamily.com/produc...here-on-earth/ and starting to give it a listen. Very melodic , haunting. Another fine production
    Logitech Media Server Version: 7.9.1 - 1518987734 @ Sun Feb 18 22:55:43 CET 2018
    Operating system: Debian - EN - utf8 Platform Architecture: x86_64-linux
    Perl Version: 5.22.1 - x86_64-linux-gnu-thread-multi

One SB Touch connected by Ethernet - Denon AVR -1912 Receiver, Paradigm 4.1 speakers
    SB Classic connected by Ethernet to FX Audio D802C amp and Sinclair bookshelf speakers
    Two SB Radios wireless

Quote Originally Posted by RonM View Post

I also just bought this on Amazon. Check the price of buying mp3 compared to the CD. Buy the CD that includes the mp3 download for a savings of over $2.00. Let me see, which one should I buy, DUH
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Main system - Rock Solid with LMS 7.9.1 Nightly on WHS 2011 - 2 Duets and Squeeseslave
    Cabin system - Rock solid with LMS 7.9.1 Nightly on Win10 Pro - 1 RPi 3 Model B/Hifiberry DAC+ Pro/PiCorePlayer and Squeezeslave

Quote Originally Posted by w3wilkes View Post
    I also just bought this on Amazon. Check the price of buying mp3 compared to the CD. Buy the CD that includes the mp3 download for a savings of over $2.00. Let me see, which one should I buy, DUH

https://royalpotatofamily.com/produc...here-on-earth/ has a WAV download that I converted to FLAC so basically lossless and there is a 25% discount right now listed on the site. So unless you need the disk it works out about the same
    Logitech Media Server Version: 7.9.1 - 1518987734 @ Sun Feb 18 22:55:43 CET 2018
    Operating system: Debian - EN - utf8 Platform Architecture: x86_64-linux
    Perl Version: 5.22.1 - x86_64-linux-gnu-thread-multi

One SB Touch connected by Ethernet - Denon AVR -1912 Receiver, Paradigm 4.1 speakers
    SB Classic connected by Ethernet to FX Audio D802C amp and Sinclair bookshelf speakers
    Two SB Radios wireless

Name:  Folder.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  98.8 KB

I've been listening to a lot of U2 lately. I've heard Bono and The Edge on the Howard Stern Show a couple of weeks ago and I really liked the interview. That kind of triggered this.