Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 418 of 488 FirstFirst ... 318368408416417418419420428468 ... LastLast
Results 4,171 to 4,180 of 4874
    Quote Originally Posted by w3wilkes View Post
    I quite like this album too. I had a heck of a time ripping it though. It would fail on both my laptops with some type offset failure right off the get go. I then tried it on an old Pioneer DVD-RW 106D drive I had in an old tower I'd turned into a server and it ripped just fine.
    I ripped this CD with iTunes without any issues.
    Maybe you had a bad copy?
    Yamaha A-S3000 (sliver) -> Focal Electra 1028 Be
    1 x SB Boom, 1 x SB Radio, 1 x SB Touch and 2 x RPI 2B
    1 x SB3 and 1 x SB Touch in storage
    ReadyNAS NVX for storage
    piCorePlayer on RPI 4B as LMS server
    iPeng on iPhone, SqueezePad & iPeng on iPad, Material Skin
    http://www.last.fm/user/phibon

It is one of the first CD's I ever got back in 1984. I doubt the bad copy. It plays fine on a CD player and my laptops, just won't rip on either laptop. It ripped perfectly without any retry or other issue on the drive I mentioned earlier. It's the only CD I've seen the offset error on of my 1,500+ CD's. Tried with DBPoweramp, Nero and Windows built in ripper, all a nogo on my laptops, but of these softwares worked fine on the Pioneer 106D drive. I did mention this a while back in this thread...
    http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...lim+and+the+bb
    Last edited by w3wilkes; 2017-07-27 at 15:15.
    Main system - Rock Solid with LMS 8.1.2 on WHS 2011 - 2 Duets and Squeeseslave
    Cabin system - Rock solid with LMS 8.1.2 on Win10 Pro - 1 RPi 3 Model B/Hifiberry DAC+ Pro/PiCorePlayer and Squeezeslave
    Squeezebox Boom - "At Large" player around both home and cabin
    Headphones and car - Android phone/Bluetooth w/full library on MicroSD card - PowerAmp music player app (similar to Material Skin)

Thelonious Monk - Solo Monk

Name:  Folder.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  50.8 KB

It is one of the first CD's I ever got back in 1984. I doubt the bad copy. It plays fine on a CD player and my laptops, just won't rip on either laptop. It ripped perfectly without any retry or other issue on the drive I mentioned earlier. It's the only CD I've seen the offset error on of my 1,500+ CD's. Tried with DBPoweramp, Nero and Windows built in ripper, all a nogo on my laptops, but of these softwares worked fine on the Pioneer 106D drive. I did mention this a while back in this thread...
    It appears to me that sometimrs a modern drive is just too fast. Your older drive will be much slower.
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
    Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
    Dining Room SB Boom
    Kitchen UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
    Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Everything controlled by iPeng & Material on iOS

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Sargent View Post
    Thelonious Monk - Solo Monk

Views: 104
Size:  50.8 KB
    Good one !

Hold that CD up to a light source and see if there are a number of small pinholes that are grouped close together. There was an issue with a small lot of the blanks on Tricycle that had excessive pinholes. These CDs will play fine because when CDs are played error correction is used during playback which is why a CD will play fine in a CD Player but will refuse to rip even with retries (ripping does not have the luxury of CD Player playback error correction that is built into a CD Player). Also as another reply mentioned, newer and faster optical drives are not always better.

Which is one of the reasons I always rip an OOP CD before I send it overseas to verify it rips clean. Second reason is if the receiver of the CD can't get it to rip, I have a clean dBpowerAmp rip to send them since I know they own the CD IE it's part of the sale including ripping service when need be.
    iPhone
    Media Room:
    ModWright Platinum Signature Transporter, VTL TL-6.5 Signature Pre-Amp, Ayre MX-R Mono's, VeraStarr 6.4SE 6-channel Amp, Vandersteen Speakers: Quatro Wood Mains, VCC-5 Reference Center, four VSM-1 Signatures, Video: Runco RS 900 CineWide AutoScope 2.35:1, Vandersteen V2W Subwoofer

Living Room:
    Transporter, ADCOM GTP-870HD, Cinepro 3K6SE III Gold, Vandersteen Model 3A Signature, Two 2Wq subs, VCC-2, Two VSM-1

Office: Touch with Vandersteen VSM-1s
    Kitchen: Touch in-wall mount w/ Thiel Powerpoint 1.2s
    Bedroom: Squeezebox BOOM
    Bathroom: Squeezebox Radio
    Around the House: SliMP3, SB1, SB2, SB3
    Ford Thunderbird: SB Touch, USB drive
    Ford Expedition: SB Touch, USB drive

Don't see any pinholes, but the foil layer is thin enough that the light source can be seen through it, but that doesn't seem to be any different from my other CD's that don't have full silk screen art on them. I'll just chalk it up to the difference in old vs new drives.

Are you saying that when ripping you don't get the same error correction as when playing? Don't know if this has any bearing, but Accurate Rip said my rip of the CD was fine on the older drive.
    Main system - Rock Solid with LMS 8.1.2 on WHS 2011 - 2 Duets and Squeeseslave
    Cabin system - Rock solid with LMS 8.1.2 on Win10 Pro - 1 RPi 3 Model B/Hifiberry DAC+ Pro/PiCorePlayer and Squeezeslave
    Squeezebox Boom - "At Large" player around both home and cabin
    Headphones and car - Android phone/Bluetooth w/full library on MicroSD card - PowerAmp music player app (similar to Material Skin)

Thelonious Monk - Underground

Views: 75
Size:  86.0 KB

Are you saying that when ripping you don't get the same error correction as when playing? Don't know if this has any bearing, but Accurate Rip said my rip of the CD was fine on the older drive.
    AccurateRip only compares your ripped tracks against other peoples rips, a positive match says without question your rip is error free, a negative match can also inform the rip has errors. When a drive is ripping there is no playback error correction because the drive is not acting as a player and true CD Players have the best processing as that was there intended purpose. I have a CD that plays perfectly in my CD Transport but will not play in any of my other simple CD or DVD players and only 2 out of 12 tracks will rip error free. Drives that are ripping usually, as a minimum, rip all tracks twice and compare the results, if they match they consider them error free, but this is not error correction nor does it mean there are not errors which is why dBpowerAmp AccurateRip comes in handy. Even tracks that do show errors and don't match AccurateRip may play perfectly in your system as the error might not be noticeable while other errors are pops, clicks, or actual dropouts.

So if AccurateRip said Tricycle passed, the old drive ripped it perfectly and you have a known good digital copy. One last thing, did you run the drive calibration with dBpowerAmp to establish its offset on the newer drive?
    iPhone
    Media Room:
    ModWright Platinum Signature Transporter, VTL TL-6.5 Signature Pre-Amp, Ayre MX-R Mono's, VeraStarr 6.4SE 6-channel Amp, Vandersteen Speakers: Quatro Wood Mains, VCC-5 Reference Center, four VSM-1 Signatures, Video: Runco RS 900 CineWide AutoScope 2.35:1, Vandersteen V2W Subwoofer

Living Room:
    Transporter, ADCOM GTP-870HD, Cinepro 3K6SE III Gold, Vandersteen Model 3A Signature, Two 2Wq subs, VCC-2, Two VSM-1

Flim & the BB's "Big Notes"

Listening to Flim & the BB's Big Notes
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    iPhone
    Media Room:

Living Room: