Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 448 of 448 FirstFirst ... 348398438446447448
Results 4,471 to 4,477 of 4477
    Quiet here, perhaps a sign. . . But the music plays on!

Name:  After the Fall Jarrett.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  66.0 KB

Old 1998 recording, brand new first release -- Jarrett, Peacock and DeJohnette tearing it up at the first appearance of Jarrett after a two-year illness hiatus (the title refers to the illness). This "Standards Trio" was, at the time, the ultimate classy group. Keith is in very fine form, his piano work just outstanding. He achieves a kind of transparency, in sync with the rhythm section, always in front but allowing the drums/bass to shine through.

All kinds of glowing reviews,and I can feel the glow myself. Perhaps helped by a generous dose of Armagnac, providing just the right mellow mood.

R.
    Last edited by RonM; 2018-03-19 at 15:12.
    LMS on a dedicated server (FitPC3)
    Transporter (Ethernet) - main listening, Onkyo receiver, Paradigm speakers
    Touch (WiFi) - home theater 5.1, Sony receiver, Energy speakers
    Boom 1 (WiFi) - work-space
    Boom 2 (WiFi) - various (deck, garage, etc.)
    Radio (WiFi) - home office
    Control - Squeeze Control (Android mobile), 2 Controllers (seldom used), Squeeze Remote (on Surface Pro 4)
    Touch x 1 - spare
    UE Radio x 1 - spare
    Boom x 1 - spare
    Controller x 1 - Spare
    Duet Receiver (backup)

Thom Rotella - Thom Rotella Band
    Name:  51JK2mhfJPL.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  40.8 KB

Big Head Todd & The Monsters - Sister Sweetly - 1993
    Pretty much nice and smooth low impact rock. Solid 4 of 5 stars
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Main system - Rock Solid with LMS 7.9.1 Nightly on WHS 2011 - 2 Duets and Squeeseslave
    Cabin system - Rock solid with LMS 7.9.1 Nightly on Win10 Pro - 1 RPi 3 Model B/Hifiberry DAC+ Pro/PiCorePlayer and Squeezeslave

iNFiNiEN - Existence from Light At The Endless Tunnel
    Name:  iNFiNiEN-Light-at-The-Endless-Tunnel.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  66.7 KB
    2 Duets controllers, 1 X Boom, 1 X Radio
    1 X Receiver + Audioengine A5
    1 X Receiver + Yamaha RX-A2000, Polk M70
    1 X Receiver + Boston MicroSystem CD
    Raspberry Pi 2 B, HiFiBerry Dac+ & Max2play
    HTC 10 w/ Squeeze Ctrl
    ReadyNAS 516 LMS 7.9.1

The perfect Brexit Remainer anthem:

Not Ready To Make Nice by Dixie Chicks
    Touch, Logitech Radio, Logitech UE Radio, O2 Joggler + SqpOS
    UPnPBridge - 2 paired Sonos Play1 speakers; Rocki - Sony SRS-BTM8 speaker; Pioneer WX-SMA1 speaker; - PURE One Flow internet radio: PURE Jongo S3x ; Jongo T2; Libratone Zipp
    Castbridge - Chromecast 1 + Chromecast Audio
    AirplayBridge - Loewe Airspeaker
    SB Player - Fire TV
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Name:  Schneider thompson fields.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  40.9 KB Name:  bowie blackstar.jpg
Size:  17.4 KB

Maria Schneider Orchestra "Thompson Fields" and David Bowie "Blackstar"

I was recently reading the latest in Peter Robinson's excellent police procedural involving Inspector Alan Banks, "Sleeping Under Ground". Set in Yorkshire, the series is atmospheric and gritty, without too much of the personally dysfunctional lead character theme so often present in British mysteries. Maybe because Robinson is actually Canadian.

One of the features of the series is Banks' love of popular music -- and jazz and classical. Frequent reference is made to actual recordings and the history of actual musicians.

In the most recent novel I was cruising along, reading at pace, when Banks was introduced to a recent jazz recording by Maria Schneider, Thompson Fields. Later he's driving his own car with a young woman DC, who says she likes the music he's playing, which is Blackstar by David Bowie.

The interesting thing is is that there is a connection. Maria Schneider worked with Bowie on his single release of "Sue (Or In A Season of Crime), which won Schneider a Grammy for arrangement. "Blackstar features saxophonist Donny McCaslin's leading-edge jazz quartet. Bowie was introduced to McCaslin by Maria Schneider when she was unable to commit to working on what became Bowie's last album. McCaslin was a featured player on Thompson Fields.

All of this wouldn't have been as interesting if I wasn't familiar with the history, and able to recognize the connections, which weren't stated explicitly.

Anyway, they are both wonderful recordings, highly recommended, and Thompson Fields is playing as I write.

R.
    Last edited by RonM; 2018-03-29 at 05:15.
    LMS on a dedicated server (FitPC3)
    Transporter (Ethernet) - main listening, Onkyo receiver, Paradigm speakers
    Touch (WiFi) - home theater 5.1, Sony receiver, Energy speakers
    Boom 1 (WiFi) - work-space
    Boom 2 (WiFi) - various (deck, garage, etc.)
    Radio (WiFi) - home office
    Control - Squeeze Control (Android mobile), 2 Controllers (seldom used), Squeeze Remote (on Surface Pro 4)
    Touch x 1 - spare
    UE Radio x 1 - spare
    Boom x 1 - spare
    Controller x 1 - Spare
    Duet Receiver (backup)

Quote Originally Posted by RonM View Post
    Name:  Schneider thompson fields.jpg
Size:  40.9 KB Name:  bowie blackstar.jpg
Size:  17.4 KB

Maria Schneider Orchestra "Thompson Fields" and David Bowie "Blackstar"

I was recently reading the latest in Peter Robinson's excellent police procedural involving Inspector Alan Banks, "Sleeping Under Ground". Set in Yorkshire, the series is atmospheric and gritty, without too much of the personally dysfunctional lead character theme so often present in British mysteries. Maybe because Robinson is actually Canadian.

One of the features of the series is Banks' love of popular music -- and jazz and classical. Frequent reference is made to actual recordings and the history of actual musicians.

In the most recent novel I was cruising along, reading at pace, when Banks was introduced to a recent jazz recording by Maria Schneider, Thompson Fields. Later he's driving his own car with a young woman DC, who says she likes the music he's playing, which is Blackstar by David Bowie.

The interesting thing is is that there is a connection. Maria Schneider worked with Bowie on his single release of "Sue (Or In A Season of Crime), which won Schneider a Grammy for arrangement. "Blackstar features saxophonist Donny McCaslin's leading-edge jazz quartet. Bowie was introduced to McCaslin by Maria Schneider when she was unable to commit to working on what became Bowie's last album. McCaslin was a featured player on Thompson Fields.

All of this wouldn't have been as interesting if I wasn't familiar with the history, and able to recognize the connections, which weren't stated explicitly.

Anyway, they are both wonderful recordings, highly recommended, and Thompson Fields is playing as I write.

R.
    Thanks Ron, very interesting. As a long time Bowie fan (still can't believe he's gone) and partial to some jazz as well, I'll check out the Maria Schneider album.