Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 493 of 494 FirstFirst ... 393443483491492493494 LastLast
Results 4,921 to 4,930 of 4936
  1. #4921
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Cheshire, UK
    Posts
    5,841
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Bob View Post
    I think you've recommended VinylStudio to me before :-) - I switch my amp off while ripping, as I think there's a bit of EM hum that gets through. Not that it bothers me when playing LPs. I have never used Replay Gain.

    I have too much vinyl, and I am trying to buy less of it due to lack of storage space. I don't often buy CDs, so I either go for downloads or vinyl.

    Robert
    You can't have too much vinyl but my wife thinks I have and I too have the storage issue. Michael's recent Online Music Service integration has almost completely stopped my CD buying though.
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
    Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
    Dining Room SB Boom
    Kitchen UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
    Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Everything controlled by iPeng & Material on iOS

  2. #4922
    Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    You can't have too much vinyl but my wife thinks I have and I too have the storage issue. Michael's recent Online Music Service integration has almost completely stopped my CD buying though.
    I have nearly filled a sixth 56cm* long shelf with vinyl. I have noticed that LPs I've bought over the last 6 years or so occupy more shelf space than those from 30 years ago. The sleeves seem thicker, and I think the vinyl is heavier.

    Record Store Day beckons. I have my eye on a couple of items.

    * Is it bad to measure the size of an LP collection by the cm?

    Robert
    Home: Raspberry Pi 4/pCP7.0/LMS8.1.2/Material with files on QNAP TS-251A
    Touch > DacMagic 100 > Naim Audio Nait 3 > Mission 752 (plus Rega Planar 3 > Rega Fono Mini; Naim CD3)
    2 x Squeezebox Radios, 1 X Squeezebox 3 (retired), 1 x SqueezeAMP
    Office: LMS8.0.0 running on Raspberry Pi3; Raspberry Pi 3 player with touchscreen/piCorePlayer/IQaudIO DAC and Amp
    Portable: Raspberry Pi 3B/pCP7.0.1/LMS8.1.2/Material, files on Seagate portable drive, powered via power brick

  3. #4923
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Cheshire, UK
    Posts
    5,841
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Bob View Post
    I have nearly filled a sixth 56cm* long shelf with vinyl. I have noticed that LPs I've bought over the last 6 years or so occupy more shelf space than those from 30 years ago. The sleeves seem thicker, and I think the vinyl is heavier.

    Record Store Day beckons. I have my eye on a couple of items.

    * Is it bad to measure the size of an LP collection by the cm?

    Robert
    Close to 10 x 40cm units. Each one is approaching 100 albums but yes modern stuff is wider. The 180gm LPs are thicker than flimsy 70s vinyl. Remember the oil crisis.
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
    Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
    Dining Room SB Boom
    Kitchen UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
    Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Everything controlled by iPeng & Material on iOS

  4. #4924
    Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    Close to 10 x 40cm units. Each one is approaching 100 albums but yes modern stuff is wider. The 180gm LPs are thicker than flimsy 70s vinyl. Remember the oil crisis.
    Indeed the oil crisis had an impact on record weight - I remember buying the second Jam album and it seeming to flex under its own weight it was so thin! I no longer have that after a burglary that relieved me of my HiFi and vinyl back in the early 80s. Most was retrieved after looking in 2nd hand record stores, but the mainstream records were gone for good. While I never actually stopped buying records, I bought far fewer from the late 80s through to maybe 2010.

    Robert
    Home: Raspberry Pi 4/pCP7.0/LMS8.1.2/Material with files on QNAP TS-251A
    Touch > DacMagic 100 > Naim Audio Nait 3 > Mission 752 (plus Rega Planar 3 > Rega Fono Mini; Naim CD3)
    2 x Squeezebox Radios, 1 X Squeezebox 3 (retired), 1 x SqueezeAMP
    Office: LMS8.0.0 running on Raspberry Pi3; Raspberry Pi 3 player with touchscreen/piCorePlayer/IQaudIO DAC and Amp
    Portable: Raspberry Pi 3B/pCP7.0.1/LMS8.1.2/Material, files on Seagate portable drive, powered via power brick

  5. #4925
    I've been playing a live LP by The Fall - Live at St Helens Technical College 1981 - which was recorded (as it says in the title) in 1981 with one of the truly great line-ups of the band. I've been a bit of a Fall fan since about 1978, and they are the most-played band in my last.fm library by a long way. This is a slightly lo-fi recording, but sounds pretty good to these ears. LP plus a 33rpm 7" with the last two tracks, it shows the band in really fine form. I picked this up a bit late - initial copies seemed to come at an unreasonably high price, and this was the normal price for an LP. Came with a download code, too.
    You can find this on youtube as an audio recording.

    Name:  CF-133cover_540x.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  20.2 KB

    Robert
    Last edited by Grumpy Bob; 2021-06-07 at 03:57.
    Home: Raspberry Pi 4/pCP7.0/LMS8.1.2/Material with files on QNAP TS-251A
    Touch > DacMagic 100 > Naim Audio Nait 3 > Mission 752 (plus Rega Planar 3 > Rega Fono Mini; Naim CD3)
    2 x Squeezebox Radios, 1 X Squeezebox 3 (retired), 1 x SqueezeAMP
    Office: LMS8.0.0 running on Raspberry Pi3; Raspberry Pi 3 player with touchscreen/piCorePlayer/IQaudIO DAC and Amp
    Portable: Raspberry Pi 3B/pCP7.0.1/LMS8.1.2/Material, files on Seagate portable drive, powered via power brick

  6. #4926
    Senior Member Jeff07971's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    1,647
    Name:  2021-06-09 21_04_32-Squeezelite-X.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  14.0 KB

    Not sure that a great use of bandwidth QOBUZ

    Want a webapp ? Get SqueezeLite-X ! https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...l=1#post903953

  7. #4927
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    The Hague, Netherlands
    Posts
    171
    Eefje de Visser - Bitterzoet

    Name:  0DD713C5-FF4B-419A-8086-4EE448BE3973.jpeg
Views: 89
Size:  48.8 KB
    Living: EtherRegen -> Ultrarendu -> Benchmark DAC2 HGC -> Benchmark AHB2 -> ATC SCM19 v2 & Sennheiser HD650
    Kitchen: SB Touch -> Audio Pro Addon T10 gen2
    Kids rooms: SB Booms
    Bedroom: SB Boom & SB Radio
    Controls: iPeng, Material Skin & LMS via internet
    Server: Windows 10 Pro with LMS 7.9.3
    Spare: 2 SB Touch, 1 SB3, 2 SB Radio

  8. #4928
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Cheshire, UK
    Posts
    5,841
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Bob View Post
    I've been playing a live LP by The Fall - Live at St Helens Technical College 1981 - which was recorded (as it says in the title) in 1981 with one of the truly great line-ups of the band. I've been a bit of a Fall fan since about 1978, and they are the most-played band in my last.fm library by a long way. This is a slightly lo-fi recording, but sounds pretty good to these ears. LP plus a 33rpm 7" with the last two tracks, it shows the band in really fine form. I picked this up a bit late - initial copies seemed to come at an unreasonably high price, and this was the normal price for an LP. Came with a download code, too.
    You can find this on youtube as an audio recording.

    Name:  CF-133cover_540x.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  20.2 KB

    Robert
    My local record shop (stall at the market) has some new Fall LPs of shall we say unofficial origin. Shall I take some pics and let you have a gander?
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
    Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
    Dining Room SB Boom
    Kitchen UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
    Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Everything controlled by iPeng & Material on iOS

  9. #4929
    Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    My local record shop (stall at the market) has some new Fall LPs of shall we say unofficial origin. Shall I take some pics and let you have a gander?
    Well, it might be interesting, but don't go out of your way! As far as I understand it, Mark E Smith had a fairly lax attitude to licensing The Fall material, particularly live albums and compilations, so there are many albums of variable quality out there. Since he died, many of the studio albums have been re-released with additional material.

    The St Helens Technical College album is rather good.

    Robert
    Last edited by Grumpy Bob; 2021-06-11 at 02:28.
    Home: Raspberry Pi 4/pCP7.0/LMS8.1.2/Material with files on QNAP TS-251A
    Touch > DacMagic 100 > Naim Audio Nait 3 > Mission 752 (plus Rega Planar 3 > Rega Fono Mini; Naim CD3)
    2 x Squeezebox Radios, 1 X Squeezebox 3 (retired), 1 x SqueezeAMP
    Office: LMS8.0.0 running on Raspberry Pi3; Raspberry Pi 3 player with touchscreen/piCorePlayer/IQaudIO DAC and Amp
    Portable: Raspberry Pi 3B/pCP7.0.1/LMS8.1.2/Material, files on Seagate portable drive, powered via power brick

  10. #4930
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    UK/London
    Posts
    4,339
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Bob View Post
    I've been a bit of a Fall fan since about 1978, and they are the most-played band in my last.fm library by a long way.
    I suspect that Dandelion Radio (did I say I am involved? ) is one of the few stations in the world that has the same
    https://www.last.fm/user/DandelionRadio/library/artists

    According the last.fm stats, the station plays around 4000 different tracks per month and they are from over 3000 different artists.
    Some of the high scorers are jingles by the bands so should not really count ... but The Fall never did a jingle for us.
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, Supla Finland, ABC Australia, CBC/Radio-Canada and RTE Ireland

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •