Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 461 of 462 FirstFirst ... 361411451459460461462 LastLast
Results 4,601 to 4,610 of 4612
    Name:  kevin welch dust devil.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  46.8 KB

And Roomful just segued into something completely different, Kevin Welch's excellent recording from last year, Dust Devil.

I've followed him for years, and think he's both an excellent songwriter and fine singer, who has had a career mostly considered in "Country". Clearly rootsy, and he has had a lot of his songs recorded by others, mainly country types, but his interests and songs don't really fully fit that genre. On this one he has done most of the production, and it's a kind of combo of roots, rock, folk and jazz. Some excellent sax parts and piano, and a few tasty electric guitar solos. Also a wide range of really nicely written songs. Daughter and son are involved, the former on harmony vocals, the latter helping produce and playing some instruments. Former musical partner Fats Kaplin (from the trio Kane Welch Kaplin, and part of Jack White's touring band) provides a good chunk of the instrumentation.

Very fine. It should, but won't, make Welch rich.

R.
    LMS on a dedicated server (FitPC3)
    Transporter (Ethernet) - main listening, Onkyo receiver, Paradigm speakers
    Touch (WiFi) - home theater 5.1, Sony receiver, Energy speakers
    Boom 1 (WiFi) - work-space
    Boom 2 (WiFi) - various (deck, garage, etc.)
    Radio (WiFi) - home office
    Control - Squeeze Control (Android mobile), 2 Controllers (seldom used), Squeeze Remote (on Surface Pro 4)
    Touch x 1 - spare
    UE Radio x 1 - spare
    Boom x 1 - spare
    Controller x 1 - Spare
    Duet Receiver (backup)

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    I like the alternative takes playlists idea.
    I'm not as diligent as I could be keeping them up to date, most haven't been renewed for two or three years.

It has been a bit of challenge to do them. I've tried different approaches but keep going back to my archaic version of Winamp; I sort my entire library by song title, and then scroll through to find the same tracks in adjacent positions, although sometimes different albums have slightly different track titles. I select what I want and then generate a playlist, which I copy into the SB library path. I organize them alphabetically, so I have all the songs starting with A in Playlist-A, and so on. Mostly one playlist per letter, but in some cases two or more. Important to sort the playlist by title and to not play it on random.

If I want to put the actual playlist tracks onto removable media to play in the car or wherever, I use a utility whose name I forget and is on my other computer, which basically takes the playlist information and copies the tracks to a target location. I usually use MP3Tag to give track numbers to each set, so they play in proper sequence.

R.
    Control - Squeeze Control (Android mobile), 2 Controllers (seldom used), Squeeze Remote (on Surface Pro 4)
    Touch x 1 - spare
    UE Radio x 1 - spare
    Boom x 1 - spare
    Controller x 1 - Spare
    Duet Receiver (backup)

R.i.p.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Wombat; 2019-02-25 at 19:29.
    Transporter (modded) -> RG142 -> Avantgarde Acoustic based 500VA monoblocks -> Sommer SPK240 -> self-made speakers

Sleaford Mods - Eaton Alive

Name:  cover.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  30.8 KB
    Home: Raspberry Pi 3/piCoreplayer/LMS7.9.2 with files on QNAP TS-251A
    Touch > DacMagic 100 > Naim Audio Nait 3 > Mission 752 (plus Rega Planar 3 > Rega Fono Mini; Naim CD3)
    PiCorePlayer(Pi2) with IQAudIO DAC+>Sennheisers
    2 x Squeezebox Radios, 1 X Squeezebox 3 (retired), spare Pi2/piCorePlayer
    Office: LMS7.9.2 running on WiFi MyPassport drive > piCorePlayer(PiB)/HiFiBerryDAC > Amptastic Amplifier
    SqueezePad, iPeng as controllers

last.fm/user/GrumpyBob

Talk Talk - After The Flood - from Laughing Stock.
    RIP Mark Hollis
    2 Duets controllers, 1 X Boom, 1 X Radio
    1 X Receiver + Edifier S1000DB
    1 X Receiver + Yamaha RX-A2000, Polk M70
    1 X Receiver + Boston MicroSystem CD
    Raspberry Pi 3 B+ HiFi Berry Amp2 7" touchscreen PiCorePlayer 4.0 Audioengine A5 ( passive mode )
    Raspberry Pi 2 B, HiFiBerry Dac+ & Max2play
    HTC 10 w/ Squeeze Ctrl
    ReadyNAS 516 LMS 7.9.2 nightly

Spacemen 3 - Sound of Confusion. Their first album, from 1989. There seems to be a lack of Spacemen 3 material on download stores and on Spotify. This is a vinyl copy.There's also a bit of an industry around Spacemen 3 releases from live performances and demo recordings! I wonder if they'd looked at many Velvet Underground photos before the cover photo shoot...

Anyway, I like this album.

Name:  cover (1).jpg
Views: 153
Size:  45.9 KB
    Touch > DacMagic 100 > Naim Audio Nait 3 > Mission 752 (plus Rega Planar 3 > Rega Fono Mini; Naim CD3)
    Office: LMS7.9.2 running on WiFi MyPassport drive > piCorePlayer(PiB)/HiFiBerryDAC > Amptastic Amplifier

last.fm/user/GrumpyBob

Cambridge Audio 851D-S -> Focal MP1200 -> Focal Electra 1028 Be
    1 x SB Boom, 1 x SB Radio, 1 x SB Touch and 2 x RPI 2B
    1 x SB3 and 1 x SB Touch in storage
    ReadyNAS NVX running LMS 7.9.0.
    iPeng on iPhone, SqueezePad & iPeng on iPad.
    http://www.last.fm/user/phibon

Name:  Dick Dale.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  107.5 KB

I was reading the Birth of Loud today, a book by Ian Port about the development and rise of the electric guitar, which is built upon the early partnership and later rivalry of Les Paul and Leo Fender. One of the chapters was about surf music, and especially about Dick Dale, his early adoption of the Fender Stratocaster and his exploitation of its potential. And then I read that Dick Dale has just died.

RIP great innovator.

https://youtu.be/mKpsuGMeqHI

R.
    Touch x 1 - spare
    UE Radio x 1 - spare
    Boom x 1 - spare
    Controller x 1 - Spare
    Duet Receiver (backup)

Name:  Good vibe.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  72.2 KB

And then I came across the Birth of Loud's chapter on Carol Kaye, who broke new ground as an adopter and innovator with the Fender Precision Bass and is known for her work with the west coast Wrecking Crew on an amazing amount of music. It led me to listen closely to some of her work with the Beach Boys, where she was often Brian Wilson's preferred bassist. Her work on Good Vibrations is exceptional, starting out in the higher register of the instrument and then providing the essential bottom for the rest of the song.

https://youtu.be/Eab_beh07HU

Also impressive is her work on Sloop John B, a more conventional take but absolutely essential to the song. She comes in shortly after the beginning of the song, and keeps it beautifully anchored throughout, following the lead of the vocals and not just the rhythm of the drums.

https://youtu.be/MWJXTdCVsKI

These YouTube tracks may not be the best online audio representation of the songs, might be better from Spotify; but even listening with my cheap headphones on the computer the bass is compelling. Much better, of course, through proper equipment running from my in-house flacs.

R.
    Last edited by RonM; 2019-03-19 at 18:58.
    Touch x 1 - spare
    UE Radio x 1 - spare
    Boom x 1 - spare
    Controller x 1 - Spare
    Duet Receiver (backup)

Maurice Louca - Elephantine via Bandcamp.

Name:  cover.jpeg
Views: 55
Size:  144.4 KB

Robert

last.fm/user/GrumpyBob