Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 491 of 491 FirstFirst ... 391441481489490491
Results 4,901 to 4,910 of 4910
    I've been listening to the latest LP from Canadian experimental music collective Godspeed You! Black Emperor, which was released last week, the curiously named G_d's Pee AT STATE'S END. I have this on vinyl, nicely produced sleeve, and the four tracks are over a 12" and a 10" records. It's still growing on me...

Name:  a1526103098_16.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  23.6 KB

Robert
    Home: Raspberry Pi 4/pCP7.0/LMS8.1.2/Material with files on QNAP TS-251A
    Touch > DacMagic 100 > Naim Audio Nait 3 > Mission 752 (plus Rega Planar 3 > Rega Fono Mini; Naim CD3)
    2 x Squeezebox Radios, 1 X Squeezebox 3 (retired), 1 x SqueezeAMP
    Office: LMS8.0.0 running on Raspberry Pi3; Raspberry Pi 3 player with touchscreen/piCorePlayer/IQaudIO DAC and Amp
    Portable: Raspberry Pi 3B/pCP7.0.1/LMS8.1.2/Material, files on Seagate portable drive, powered via power brick

Coldwater Canyon on THE TANGO BAR by GREG COPELAND

https://gregcopeland1.bandcamp.com/album/the-tango-bar

Laid back bluesy americana.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    A camel is a racehorse designed by a committee.

Seen sprayed on the outside wall of the local library -
    Three things I hate in life :
    1. Vandalism
    2. Irony
    3. Lists

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Bob View Post
    I've been listening to the latest LP from Canadian experimental music collective Godspeed You! Black Emperor, which was released last week, the curiously named G_d's Pee AT STATE'S END. I have this on vinyl, nicely produced sleeve, and the four tracks are over a 12" and a 10" records. It's still growing on me...

Name:  a1526103098_16.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  23.6 KB

Robert
    These recordings really need several listenings to completely unfold.
    This one sounds even like Oldfield on some notes while simple structures like in "Fire at Static Valley" can suck me in completely.
    Indeed a great album.
    Transporter (modded) -> RG142 -> Avantgarde Acoustic based 500VA monoblocks -> Sommer SPK240 -> self-made speakers

Quote Originally Posted by Wombat View Post
    These recordings really need several listenings to completely unfold.
    This one sounds even like Oldfield on some notes while simple structures like in "Fire at Static Valley" can suck me in completely.
    Indeed a great album.
    Iím not sure about this relatively new term - Collective. Is it different to Band in some way? It seems to be appearing in reviews everywhere.
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
    Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
    Dining Room SB Boom
    Kitchen UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
    Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Everything controlled by iPeng & Material on iOS

Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    Iím not sure about this relatively new term - Collective. Is it different to Band in some way? It seems to be appearing in reviews everywhere.
    Guess they mean it as members often change or are part of other bands, guest musicans and alike.
    Thee Silver Mt. Zion Memorial Orchestra and the Tra-La-La Band for example pretty much also is GY!BE plus others.
    Transporter (modded) -> RG142 -> Avantgarde Acoustic based 500VA monoblocks -> Sommer SPK240 -> self-made speakers

Quote Originally Posted by Wombat View Post
    Guess they mean it as members often change or are part of other bands, guest musicans and alike.
    Thee Silver Mt. Zion Memorial Orchestra and the Tra-La-La Band for example pretty much also is GY!BE plus others.
    I donít mind that definition but itís another buzz word that has crept into reviews as a synonym for band in some places as well. Iím sure the use on the original post Iím referring to is correct. Itís just something Iíve noticed recently as I now almost always read the review from MAI as Iím listening! Blame Craig.
    Dining Room SB Boom
    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers

Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    I don’t mind that definition but it’s another buzz word that has crept into reviews as a synonym for band in some places as well. I’m sure the use on the original post I’m referring to is correct. It’s just something I’ve noticed recently as I now almost always read the review from MAI as I’m listening! Blame Craig.
    When I see "collective" I think of a performing group with variable members. The "collective" is the total collection, a subset of which might appear on any given recording. I've always thought of Toronto's Broken Social Scene as a collective, and Wikipedia uses both "band" and "collective" in the same sentence, but without confusion:

"Broken Social Scene is a Canadian indie rock band, a musical collective including as few as six and as many as nineteen members, formed by Kevin Drew and Brendan Canning.[1] Most of its members play in various other groups and solo projects, mainly in the city of Toronto. These associated acts include Metric, Feist, Stars, Apostle of Hustle, Do Make Say Think, KC Accidental, Emily Haines & The Soft Skeleton, Amy Millan, and Jason Collett."

Looked at this way a musical collective can be a kind of band, but not all bands are collectives.

I might add that anything members of this collective touch is potential musical gold.

R.
    Last edited by RonM; 2021-04-08 at 11:49.
    LMS on a dedicated server (FitPC3)
    Transporter (Ethernet) - main listening, Onkyo receiver, Paradigm speakers
    Touch (WiFi) - home theater 5.1, Sony receiver, Energy speakers
    Boom 1 (WiFi) - work-space
    Boom 2 (WiFi) - various (deck, garage, etc.)
    Radio (WiFi) - home office
    Control - Squeeze Control (Android mobile), 2 Controllers (seldom used), Squeeze Remote (on Surface Pro 4)
    Touch x 1 - spare
    UE Radio x 1 - spare
    Boom x 1 - spare
    Controller x 1 - Spare
    Duet Receiver (backup)

Quote Originally Posted by Wirrunna View Post
    Coldwater Canyon on THE TANGO BAR by GREG COPELAND

https://gregcopeland1.bandcamp.com/album/the-tango-bar

Laid back bluesy americana.
    I note that one of the players on this promising set of music is Greg Liesz, the pedal steel player on the Charles Lloyd and the Marvels album discussed above.

R.
    LMS on a dedicated server (FitPC3)
    Transporter (Ethernet) - main listening, Onkyo receiver, Paradigm speakers
    Touch (WiFi) - home theater 5.1, Sony receiver, Energy speakers
    Boom 1 (WiFi) - work-space
    Boom 2 (WiFi) - various (deck, garage, etc.)
    Radio (WiFi) - home office
    Control - Squeeze Control (Android mobile), 2 Controllers (seldom used), Squeeze Remote (on Surface Pro 4)
    Touch x 1 - spare
    UE Radio x 1 - spare
    Boom x 1 - spare
    Controller x 1 - Spare
    Duet Receiver (backup)

Quote Originally Posted by RonM View Post
    I note that one of the players on this promising set of music is Greg Liesz, the pedal steel player on the Charles Lloyd and the Marvels album discussed above.

R.
    That Charles Lloyd album is stunning
    Dining Room SB Boom

Name:  STAAB_Mediabook_aussen.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  103.7 KB

Reflection Club - Still Thick As A Brick

This is definitely a worthy sequel for Thick As A Brick by Jethro Tull (maybe even more than Ian Anderson's TAAB2 from a few years ago).

Reflection Club is a new project of multi-instrumentalist Lutz Meinert from Berlin, Germany. The sound is very close to Jethro Tull of that time, including the flute. And even the singer's voice matches that of Ian Anderson quite good.
    This tribute album is not a simple copy but tells a new story and even comes with a fictitious magazine.
    Here is an album teaser on YouTube.