Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 456 of 456 FirstFirst ... 356406446454455456
Results 4,551 to 4,557 of 4557
    Quote Originally Posted by RonM View Post

Steve Dawson's "Music Makers and Soul Shakers" podcast, Amos Garrett edition.

For music nerds only . . .

Steve Dawson is a great guitarist and producer, in the roots/folk/Americana/blues vein. His own sound is kind of "dirty", he plays hard and likes fuzz. He's a talented producer who works successfully within a variety of artist styles. Canadian from the west coast, lives and works in Nashville, has lots of quality musical connections and a great deal of musical curiosity.

He is, therefore, the perfect person to assemble a cast of musicians to talk about their musical journeys.

His podcast, some 50+ episodes long so far, engages musicians, producers, engineers and others in discussions about their craft and their history. He kicked off with Bill Frisell, usually seen as a jazz guitarist but active in many genres, and travels through an immense catalog of great artists. I was a late-comer, downloaded the full set of podcasts, and am listening more or less randomly and continuously to the shows. Season 3 is in production. I'll subscribe to it.

These are long-form interviews, usually an hour to ninety minutes long, and NEVER long enough. On some occasions a particularly long conversation is split into two separate podcasts. All of the interviews include illustrative musical cuts, not full tracks but excerpts to illustrate what is being talked about. On some occasions, when the interviewee is in the studio with Steve, there'll be an impromptu jam at the end.

These are available for free from iTunes, or from his own website at the address below. You can subscribe through iTunes. There is some cost involved, so he's set up a Patreon donation mechanism. Believe me, if you are into this kind of music at all you'll want to throw in a few bucks to keep it running.

It should be noted that the early sessions were not so perfect from a technical point of view; for instance, the great Frisell interview has Steve sounding like he's talking a great deal further from the mic than is Frisell. But these problems are soon solved.

Get them from http://www.stevedawson.ca/makersandshakerspodcast/

R.
    Looks fantastic. Just subscribed via iphone podcast app. A couple more I recommend, "Cocaine and Rhinestones" is a very well done deep dive into classic country music history. It's an area I know a lot about, but still learn many new things from the podcasts. "Thanks for Giving a Damn by Otis Gibbs" is a very entertaining and informative podcast on a wide range of very interesting music background topics/interviews.
    Home: VBA 4TB (2.4)>LMS 7.9.1>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4)>LMS 7.9.1>Touch> Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (ethernet except Radio)
    Office: Win8(64) > LMS 7.9.1>Squeezelite
    Wilderness: PiCorePlayer 4.0 on rPi 3B+, hifiberry Dac+Pro, 4TB USB (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng & Squeezepad), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Bob View Post
    Midori Takada - Through The Looking Glass
    A sort of minimalist/ambient record dating from 1983 - I've only played this a few times so far, but it's rather pleasing. Apparently it never had a CD release, and this vinyl release doesn't seem to be accompanied by a digital release either. The 33rpm version I have is a lovely pressing (there's a 2 x 45rom version, too, but it's rather more expensive). Can be heard on YouTube and Soundcloud.

Attachment 25533
    It's available on CD from Amazon in the US and Canada, at least. 2017 release.

R.
    LMS on a dedicated server (FitPC3)
    Transporter (Ethernet) - main listening, Onkyo receiver, Paradigm speakers
    Touch (WiFi) - home theater 5.1, Sony receiver, Energy speakers
    Boom 1 (WiFi) - work-space
    Boom 2 (WiFi) - various (deck, garage, etc.)
    Radio (WiFi) - home office
    Control - Squeeze Control (Android mobile), 2 Controllers (seldom used), Squeeze Remote (on Surface Pro 4)
    Touch x 1 - spare
    UE Radio x 1 - spare
    Boom x 1 - spare
    Controller x 1 - Spare
    Duet Receiver (backup)

Quote Originally Posted by RonM View Post
    It's available on CD from Amazon in the US and Canada, at least. 2017 release.

R.
    Mea culpa, sloppy language on my part - I rarely buy CDs these days, generally going for downloads or vinyl. It was download I meant.

Robert
    Home: Raspberry Pi 3/piCoreplayer/LMS7.9.2 with files on QNAP TS-251A
    Touch > DacMagic 100 > Naim Audio Nait 3 > Mission 752 (plus Rega Planar 3 > Rega Fono Mini; Naim CD3)
    PiCorePlayer(Pi2) with IQAudIO DAC+>Sennheisers
    2 x Squeezebox Radios, 1 X Squeezebox 3 (retired), spare Pi2/piCorePlayer
    Office: LMS7.9.2 running on WiFi MyPassport drive > piCorePlayer(PiB)/HiFiBerryDAC > Amptastic Amplifier
    SqueezePad, iPeng as controllers

last.fm/user/GrumpyBob

I found it available for streaming on SoundCloud, at least I couldn't see a way to buy the album there. Listened a bit to the samples, great!

I ordered the CD from a third-party seller on Amazon, quite a bit cheaper than from Amazon itself, even with shipping (which I could have free from Amazon by buying something else from my wish-list).

In general, I much prefer downloading, but it seems that fewer mainstream releases can be found in full flac, other than rip-off hi resolution. So when I want actual CD quality, and can't find it via download, I will buy the plastic.

And I'll compare. We are fairly well off in Canada, re iTunes, as we pay $9.99, which I think is what US customers pay in US$. But if I can find a CD that comes within 20% of that, counting shipping, I'll generally go for it. And if it's bought directly from a US address I generally don't have to pay the 13% local tax.

Unfortunately, CDBaby is no longer emphasizing their download business, and have dropped the flac format from their options. Although it was $10 US, a premium on Canadian iTunes, the flac made a difference.

From time to time I find older (and very occasionally newer) albums at the library for loaning. Of course, I return it before it's due, sometimes just hours after I got it. . .

From an audiophile point of view, the current release of the Takada album sounds promising, or at least interesting from a marketing point of view -- REEL-2-REEL TO DIGITAL CONVERSION, loudly trumpeted. Not sure how else they would do it, actually.

R.
    LMS on a dedicated server (FitPC3)
    Transporter (Ethernet) - main listening, Onkyo receiver, Paradigm speakers
    Touch (WiFi) - home theater 5.1, Sony receiver, Energy speakers
    Boom 1 (WiFi) - work-space
    Boom 2 (WiFi) - various (deck, garage, etc.)
    Radio (WiFi) - home office
    Control - Squeeze Control (Android mobile), 2 Controllers (seldom used), Squeeze Remote (on Surface Pro 4)
    Touch x 1 - spare
    UE Radio x 1 - spare
    Boom x 1 - spare
    Controller x 1 - Spare
    Duet Receiver (backup)

Nick Cave - Distant Sky - four track live EP, recorded at Copenhagen. As a long time Cave aficionado, this is great stuff. Four tracks drawn from across his post-Birthday Party career.
    Name:  cover.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  243.3 KB
    Home: Raspberry Pi 3/piCoreplayer/LMS7.9.2 with files on QNAP TS-251A
    Touch > DacMagic 100 > Naim Audio Nait 3 > Mission 752 (plus Rega Planar 3 > Rega Fono Mini; Naim CD3)
    PiCorePlayer(Pi2) with IQAudIO DAC+>Sennheisers
    2 x Squeezebox Radios, 1 X Squeezebox 3 (retired), spare Pi2/piCorePlayer
    Office: LMS7.9.2 running on WiFi MyPassport drive > piCorePlayer(PiB)/HiFiBerryDAC > Amptastic Amplifier
    SqueezePad, iPeng as controllers

last.fm/user/GrumpyBob

Sir Paul McCartney did a very fine release with several great melodies! It is really fun to listen thru.
    He does release his back catlog remastered but unfortunately butchered this one to DR garbage like his fellow Beck did with the Colors album. These music millionairs don't allow good sound for the money of CD anymore it seems. I ordered the german standard CD.
    Name:  pmeg.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  47.9 KB
    Transporter (modded) -> RG142 -> Avantgarde Acoustic based 500VA monoblocks -> Sommer SPK240 -> self-made speakers

Novo Amor - Woodgate, NY (2014)