Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 504 of 505 FirstFirst ... 4404454494502503504505 LastLast
Results 5,031 to 5,040 of 5041
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Bob View Post
    Suicide - Surrender. This is a newly released compilation by the proto-synth-punk band Suicide, featuring 16 tracks from throughout their career over two LPs, CD, streaming. Suicide had a really tough time with audiences back in the 1970s (e.g. being bottled on stage supporting The Clash; the famous recoding of them being forced off stage by an irate Belgian audience). I bought their first LP back in about 1978, being intrigued by a review in a HiFi magazine to the effect that "only a poseur could claim to like this"!

Over the years, I have bought most if not all of Suicide's output, so there's little on this magnificent looking compilation that I don't already have, just unreleased versions of two tracks, so I'm unlikely to buy it. But as an introduction to Suicide this would be unparalleled.

Suicide's music veers from the aggressive to to the tender. Dream Baby Dream soundtracks a perfume advert on TV now! How things change from those early reviews...
    Springsteen also covered Dream Baby Dream.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

10cc

I tend to do deep dives, I can get stuck focusing on an artist for weeks. This time it's 10cc.

I have always loved this band, very underrated/misunderstood/forgotten, but recently when I had Tidal, I played the 5 disk "Tenology" and quickly went out and added a couple CD's complete the first four (with Godley and Creme) and the first Goldman and Stewart only offering Deceptive Bends. Love them all, but Sheet Music gets played the most.

Name:  10cc.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  43.5 KB

No front man, four song writers, four excellent vocalists with outstanding harmonies, four multi instrumentalists. Then the writing, the creative side (Godley and Creme) and the more pop side (Stewart and Goldman), splash in some humor, irony, there ya go. Also, with Paul Burgess, they did allot of two percussionist stuff.

Not allot of you tube videos of the original lineup, but the ones there are great.

Back in the late late 70's I had a friend that was a guitarist for a local punk, new wave band, and he once told me that 10cc was his favorite band. I thought "I'm not in love" and thought "that's odd", but came to understand what he was hearing.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by slartibartfast View Post
    Springsteen also covered Dream Baby Dream.

Yep, I have his version on on of the 10" EP series that came out to celebrate one of Alan Vega's birthdays...

Robert
    Home: Raspberry Pi 4/pCP7.0/LMS8.1.2/Material with files on QNAP TS-251A
    Touch > DacMagic 100 > Naim Audio Nait 3 > Mission 752 (plus Rega Planar 3 > Rega Fono Mini; Naim CD3)
    2 x Squeezebox Radios, 1 X Squeezebox 3 (retired), 1 x SqueezeAMP
    Office: LMS8.0.0 running on Raspberry Pi3; Raspberry Pi 3 player with touchscreen/piCorePlayer/IQaudIO DAC and Amp
    Portable: Raspberry Pi 3B/pCP7.0.1/LMS8.1.2/Material, files on Seagate portable drive, powered via power brick

Mobile Fidelity Eagles Desperado in DSF. Sounds great!
    Server: LMS 8.3 on Windows 10 Computer with Synology DS920+ music stored in FLAC or DSF
    Living Room: PicorePlayer 8.1 on Raspberry Pi4 USB > Musetec 005 > Krell Digital Vanguard > Dynaudio Focus 360
    Outside: PicorePlayer 8.1 on Raspberry Pi4 USB > Gustard X26 Pro > NAD 325BEE > Definitive Technology AW6500
    Home Theater: PicorePlayer 8.1 on Raspberry Pi4 w/Pi2AES Coax > Denon AVR-6700h > Dynaudio Focus 220 MkII, Dynaudio Focus 200C, Dynaudio Audience 42, Definitive Technology Di 8r

Kind of been stuck on this album for the last week. I think I bought the vinyl back in about 1972 and then again when it came out on CD. Two of the tracks keep running through my brain, "Stranger in a Strange Land" and "Beware of Darkness".
    Name:  Folder.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  173.4 KB
    Last edited by w3wilkes; 2022-05-10 at 07:49.
    Main system - Rock Solid with LMS 8.2.1 on WHS 2011 - 2 Duets ( both WiFi, farthest unit gets 60% signal strength and always works since new power supply) and Squeeseslave
    Cabin system - Rock solid with LMS 8.2.1 on Win10 Pro - 1 RPi 3 Model B (WiFi) /Hifiberry DAC+ Pro/PiCorePlayer and Squeezeslave
    Squeezebox Boom - "At Large" player around both home and cabin
    Headphones and car - Android phone/Bluetooth w/full library on MicroSD card - PowerAmp music player app (similar to Material Skin)

Florence + The Machine : Dance Fever

Repetitive and pretentious rubbish

... sigh
    Last edited by castalla; 2022-05-16 at 22:26.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by castalla View Post
    Florence + The Machine : Dance Fever

Repetitive and pretentious rubbish

... sigh
    Agreed. Well past the sell by date!

Right now I'm playing Ice Cream Soufi by Portron Portron Lopez, via Qobuz.
    New to me, but described on Bandcamp as "Trio de rock beefheartien teinté d'influences afro-électroniques. À leur écoute, on assiste à la déclinaison d'un même esprit tordu doublé d'un son explosif et drolatique. Une liberté héritée du meilleur rock garage et psychédélique, dont ils détournent parfois les poncifs. C'est en deux mots une musique truande et tonique!"

Robert
    Touch > DacMagic 100 > Naim Audio Nait 3 > Mission 752 (plus Rega Planar 3 > Rega Fono Mini; Naim CD3)
    Office: LMS8.0.0 running on Raspberry Pi3; Raspberry Pi 3 player with touchscreen/piCorePlayer/IQaudIO DAC and Amp
    Portable: Raspberry Pi 3B/pCP7.0.1/LMS8.1.2/Material, files on Seagate portable drive, powered via power brick

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Bob View Post
    Right now I'm playing Ice Cream Soufi by Portron Portron Lopez, via Qobuz.
    New to me, but described on Bandcamp as "Trio de rock beefheartien teinté d'influences afro-électroniques. À leur écoute, on assiste à la déclinaison d'un même esprit tordu doublé d'un son explosif et drolatique. Une liberté héritée du meilleur rock garage et psychédélique, dont ils détournent parfois les poncifs. C'est en deux mots une musique truande et tonique!"

Robert
    How did you find that?

Quote Originally Posted by slartibartfast View Post
    How did you find that?

It came through as a vinyl release from one of the mail order shops I use, and I looked for it on Qobuz. I can't buy everything I want on vinyl as I would bankrupt myself and run out of space.

Robert