Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 459 of 461 FirstFirst ... 359409449457458459460461 LastLast
Results 4,581 to 4,590 of 4602
    GAS - Narkopop - playing through the newest addition to my stable of piCorePlayers: a pi Zero W set up as a Bluetooth player playing through a pair of Bowers & Wilkins PX headphones. I'm testing its reliability, and it seems very good so far! It's very small, and I have it plugged pretty much straight into a USB power supply.

Name:  cover.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  205.9 KB
    Home: Raspberry Pi 3/piCoreplayer/LMS7.9.2 with files on QNAP TS-251A
    Touch > DacMagic 100 > Naim Audio Nait 3 > Mission 752 (plus Rega Planar 3 > Rega Fono Mini; Naim CD3)
    PiCorePlayer(Pi2) with IQAudIO DAC+>Sennheisers
    2 x Squeezebox Radios, 1 X Squeezebox 3 (retired), spare Pi2/piCorePlayer
    Office: LMS7.9.2 running on WiFi MyPassport drive > piCorePlayer(PiB)/HiFiBerryDAC > Amptastic Amplifier
    SqueezePad, iPeng as controllers

last.fm/user/GrumpyBob

David Bixler Auction Project resists description, so I'll just quote the leader: "The Auction Project is Jazz with Afro-Celtic sympathies."

What that means is a a very proficient jazz ensemble that also includes an accomplished violinist who specializes in traditional Irish music. They played one of their rare road gigs in my little town two weeks ago, and I'm entranced. For those in the New York area, they're playing at Birdland tonight (January 24, 2019).

Name:  cover.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  59.0 KB

Admittedly, sometimes the combination is a bit awkward: violinist Heather Martin Bixler will state a traditional Irish melody, then the other players will improvise for a while before Heather returns to close things out by restating the theme. The improvisation is rarely less than brilliant. At other times, the jazz and Celtic elements are more organically integrated into an aural package that makes perfect sense. One thing I enjoyed in their live performance that isn't so obvious on their recordings: at times the interplay between saxophone, piano and bass reminded me of very early Weather Report.

Still, I highly recommend their two albums. I know they are available through Google Music, and I assume they're on some other services, as well. The first one was just credited to saxophonist David Bixler and pianist Arturo O'Farrill. The title of that one is "The Auction Project." The second album, pictured above, is entitled "Slink" and credited to Auction Project.

Mark Stewart + Maffia - Learning to Cope With Cowardice - originally released in 1983, this has been remastered and released as part of Mute's 40th anniversary. This is pressed on clear vinyl, with flac download and comes with a second LP, The Lost Tapes. A rather good slice of post-punk/dub agitpop.

Name:  cover.jpeg
Views: 172
Size:  82.3 KBName:  cover (1).jpeg
Views: 171
Size:  39.6 KB

Robert
    Touch > DacMagic 100 > Naim Audio Nait 3 > Mission 752 (plus Rega Planar 3 > Rega Fono Mini; Naim CD3)
    Office: LMS7.9.2 running on WiFi MyPassport drive > piCorePlayer(PiB)/HiFiBerryDAC > Amptastic Amplifier

last.fm/user/GrumpyBob

Last edited by Pascal Hibon; 2019-01-26 at 10:12.
    Cambridge Audio 851D-S -> Focal MP1200 -> Focal Electra 1028 Be
    1 x SB Boom, 1 x SB Radio, 1 x SB Touch and 2 x RPI 2B
    1 x SB3 and 1 x SB Touch in storage
    ReadyNAS NVX running LMS 7.9.0.
    iPeng on iPhone, SqueezePad & iPeng on iPad.
    http://www.last.fm/user/phibon

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal Hibon View Post
    Listening to [URL="https://www.allmusic.com/album/the-first-of-a-million-kisses-mw0000196266"]Fairground Attraction - The First Of a Million Kisses
    Name:  Eddi reader robert burns.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  35.3 KB

The lead singer for Fairground Attraction was Eddi Reader, who went on to a long and illustrious mainly folk career in Scotland and abroad. She's still active.

Reading the thread led me to put on one of her more recent releases, from 2009, "The Songs of Robert Burns". It's too late for Robbie Burns day this year, but the album is well worth a listen. Beautifully orchestrated symphony background, gorgeous singing. The songs are great, too. You can also catch her on some of the Transatlantic Sessions recordings and TV programs, along with her many other albums.

R.
    LMS on a dedicated server (FitPC3)
    Transporter (Ethernet) - main listening, Onkyo receiver, Paradigm speakers
    Touch (WiFi) - home theater 5.1, Sony receiver, Energy speakers
    Boom 1 (WiFi) - work-space
    Boom 2 (WiFi) - various (deck, garage, etc.)
    Radio (WiFi) - home office
    Control - Squeeze Control (Android mobile), 2 Controllers (seldom used), Squeeze Remote (on Surface Pro 4)
    Touch x 1 - spare
    UE Radio x 1 - spare
    Boom x 1 - spare
    Controller x 1 - Spare
    Duet Receiver (backup)

I was browsing through a friends albums and came across this gem of an album - Street Songs of Love by Alejandro Escovedo. What a treat! Just went through Allmusic listening to samples of other albums and after listening found it difficult to decide on what to add in addition to Street Songs... Finally came down to Real Animal which should be arriving next week and I'm guessing I'll probably add more. Found that @garym mentioned this guy in an earlier post in this thread back in 2015, but I guess I ignored that post. This guy seems to be a REAL TALENT that I can't believe I hadn't heard of before.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Main system - Rock Solid with LMS 7.9.1 Official on WHS 2011 - 2 Duets and Squeeseslave
    Cabin system - Rock solid with LMS 7.9.1 Official on Win10 Pro - 1 RPi 3 Model B/Hifiberry DAC+ Pro/PiCorePlayer and Squeezeslave

Quote Originally Posted by w3wilkes View Post
    I was browsing through a friends albums and came across this gem of an album - Street Songs of Love by Alejandro Escovedo. What a treat! Just went through Allmusic listening to samples of other albums and after listening found it difficult to decide on what to add in addition to Street Songs... Finally came down to Real Animal which should be arriving next week and I'm guessing I'll probably add more. Found that @garym mentioned this guy in an earlier post in this thread back in 2015, but I guess I ignored that post. This guy seems to be a REAL TALENT that I can't believe I hadn't heard of before.
    He's fantastic. Lots of variety as well in his work over the years. Great live shows with different sorts of backing musicians.
    Home: VBA 4TB (2.4)>LMS 7.9.1>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4)>LMS 7.9.1>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (ethernet, Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>LMS 7.9.2>Squeezelite
    The Wild (no internet): PiCorePlayer 4.0 on rPi 3B+, hifiberry Dac+Pro, 4TB USB (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpa > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

A reissue of Dub Will Tear Us Apart...Again by Jńh Division. On vinyl, flac download. The link's to the Bandcamp page if you fancy giving dub versions of some Joy Division classics a whirl! I actually rather like this...especially the title track...and the cover art take on the Peter Savile classic Unknown Pleasures sleeve design.

Name:  a1503844409_16.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  148.2 KB

last.fm/user/GrumpyBob

Michael Bloomfield RIP

Back to back Michael Bloomfield albums. Died 38 years ago today (Feb 15). What a talent.
    Home: VBA 4TB (2.4)>LMS 7.9.1>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4)>LMS 7.9.1>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (ethernet, Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>LMS 7.9.2>Squeezelite
    The Wild (no internet): PiCorePlayer 4.0 on rPi 3B+, hifiberry Dac+Pro, 4TB USB (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpa > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

which Bloomfield albums ?