Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 11 of 30 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    This is a bug and will be fixed in the next release. It should only happen if you enable the respective option.
    ---
    learn more about iPeng, the iPhone and iPad remote for the Squeezebox and
    Logitech UE Smart Radio as well as iPeng Party, the free Party-App,
    at penguinlovesmusic.com
    New: iPeng 9, the Universal App for iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch

Unusable with Readynas Duo

Well this is annoying. I've been waiting patiently for iPeng for iPad and bought it last night, not being aware of the other controller apps for the iPad. It runs so slow that it is unusable, and the music plays for 10 seconds, stops for 10 seconds and so on.... This is with a squeezebox receiver and a readynas duo running 7.5.1 and playing flac audio.

Now my sueezebox duet works fine as a controller, apart from the usual glitches. Cueing and playing a song takes about two seconds. With squeezecommander on an android phone it's even faster. Doing the same with ipeng takes more than a minute, then it doesnt play properly.

After reading this thread and learning about squeezeoad, I just bought it and it works really well. Very responsive and no problems with the audio. So what's up with iPeng?

Artwork resizing. A known issue with ReadyNAS. As long as I don't want to use microfiche-sized artwork, which I don't. the server has to resize the artwork once which can be somewhat heavy for a ReadyNAS.

There are three workarounds:
    1. Use SBS 7.6 beta. That's kind of the final fix since it has really fast artwork handling
    2. Wait. As soon as the artwork is resized once it will be cached by the server as well as by iPeng and then it will work as expected.
    3. Use the Web Interface to set "Settings->Advanced->Performance->Artwork Resampling" to "Resize (faster, lower quality)".

The controller and SqueezePad don't have the issue since they only use artwork that is being resized while scanning - which slows down scanning but means you have to do it again later.
    ---
    at penguinlovesmusic.com

Quote Originally Posted by pippin View Post
    Artwork resizing. A known issue with ReadyNAS. As long as I don't want to use microfiche-sized artwork, which I don't. the server has to resize the artwork once which can be somewhat heavy for a ReadyNAS.

There are three workarounds:
    1. Use SBS 7.6 beta. That's kind of the final fix since it has really fast artwork handling
    2. Wait. As soon as the artwork is resized once it will be cached by the server as well as by iPeng and then it will work as expected.
    3. Use the Web Interface to set "Settings->Advanced->Performance->Artwork Resampling" to "Resize (faster, lower quality)".

The controller and SqueezePad don't have the issue since they only use artwork that is being resized while scanning - which slows down scanning but means you have to do it again later.
    Thank you for your detailed response.

1. Will most likely try this, assuming there is a distribution for readynas.
    2. Waiting is tricky since It's hard to tell what to wait for, and the interface becomes unresponsive.
    3. Resize artwork is already selected. Pre-cache artwork is also selected - does this have any impact?

Quote Originally Posted by Edvvc View Post
    Thank you for your detailed response.

1. Will most likely try this, assuming there is a distribution for readynas.
    2. Waiting is tricky since It's hard to tell what to wait for, and the interface becomes unresponsive.
    3. Resize artwork is already selected. Pre-cache artwork is also selected - does this have any impact?
    1. There is:
    http://downloads.slimdevices.com/nightly/?ver=7.6
    2. I know. It's the first 450 album artwork thumbnails being loaded.
    3. I don't really know what "pre-cache" artwork does.

I'd also recommend the 7.6, it also has other improvements that make the operation with iPeng much faster, especially loading the albums list which can be another issue with large databases and 7.5.x. The good news in any case is that iPeng will be much faster than the controller as soon as the list is finally cached, even with the old server version.
    ---
    at penguinlovesmusic.com

For the record, after waiting for the artwork cache to build up, resisting the temptation to do something else on the non-multitasking iPad, there are no further problems and I can see the awesome app for what it is. The possible scanning issues with SBS 7.6 beta deter me from installing it, for now at least.

Thanks, pippin.
    Last edited by Edvvc; 2010-10-17 at 11:42. Reason: additional information

Good to hear that.
    The one thing you should avoid if you can is doing a "clear and rescan" of the database since this will clear the artwork cache, too. A normal rescan leaves it as it is.

Have fun with iPeng!
    ---
    at penguinlovesmusic.com

It's always been my credo and always will be: I rank "efficient to use" above "easy to understand". I'm the impatient kind of guy and well ready to learn a UI to save some clicks when I use it later. I just use this too often for too long to waste time with deep menus.
    And that's why I waited for your iPad solution. And the wait was worth it. Five stars review from me.

Good to hear that.
    The one thing you should avoid if you can is doing a "clear and rescan" of the database since this will clear the artwork cache, too. A normal rescan leaves it as it is.

Have fun with iPeng!
    I've just spent a couple of hours adding artwork to albums that did not have any, and did a "Look for new and changed music" rescan, but the new artwork isn't showing up in iPeng. Normally I'd do a 'clear and rescan' overnight and the new artwork shows up on the controller. Is that my only option?

Quote Originally Posted by Edvvc View Post
    I've just spent a couple of hours adding artwork to albums that did not have any, and did a "Look for new and changed music" rescan, but the new artwork isn't showing up in iPeng. Normally I'd do a 'clear and rescan' overnight and the new artwork shows up on the controller. Is that my only option?
    Depends. If the new artwork shows up correctly in the web interface you can try "Settings->iPeng Settings->Flush Cache" in iPeng. That will e.g. be the case if you put the artwork into the files' tags.

If not (and I'm a bit afraid that may be the case if you use "folder.jpg" files) you need to do a "clear and rescan". SBS doesn't just look for changed artwork.

... There is one more option. "touch" a file in every folder where you changed the artwork (only works if there was no artwork before, otherwise you might have to "touch" them all) so that the server notices it as changed. Then a "look for new or changed music" would be enough.

Otherwise you'll have to to the "clear and rescan", maybe you've got a time when you don't need the SB and you can let it run for a while, iPeng's "Prevent Standby" setting will keep it alive to be able to load all the artwork.
    ---
    at penguinlovesmusic.com