Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Japanese characters not displaying correctly

Hi,

I am the new (very) happy owner of a Squeezebox Touch, and everything is running perfectly (did I already say I was very happy ??? ) except one thing : I have two albums from japanese bands, which names are tagged in Kanji, and which are not correctly displayed on the Touch (got squares, like when you have a missing encoding font on your system).

The display is correct through the browser when connecting to the slim server interface, but not on the Touch.

Am I missing something ? some settings on the Touch or server ? or does the Touch is not able to display such characters ?

Thanks for your help.

> Am I missing something ? some settings on the Touch or server ? or does
    > the Touch is not able to display such characters ?

The font we're shipping with Controller/Touch/Radio doesn't support some of the non-latin character sets. There's a wiki article which describes how to replace it to achieve correct display of Asian fonts.

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.ph...our_Controller

It might be a bit outdated, but the procedure remains the same.

--

Michael
    Michael

"It doesn't work - what shall I do?" - "Please check your server.log and/or scanner.log file!"
    (LMS: Settings/Information)

Thumbs up

Works like a charm !

For those wondering, no need to use an SD card or anything.

Just activate SSH on the touch, then scp the Android fonts ttf files you can get on the Wiki (http://wiki.slimdevices.com/uploads/...oller_v7.4.zip) to /usr/share/jive/fonts :
    scp DroidSansFallback.ttf root@your_sbtouch_ip:/usr/share/jive/fonts

Then ssh on your SB Touch :
    ssh root@your_sbtouch_ip
    # cd /usr/share/jive/fonts
    # mv FreeSans.ttf old.FreeSans.ttf
    # mv FreeSansBold.ttf old.FreeSansBold.ttf
    # ln -s DroidSansFallback.ttf FreeSans.ttf
    # ln -s DroidSansFallback.ttf FreeSansBold.ttf
    # reboot

And you're done !

Great, thank you very much Michael !

Question Japanese characters and German Umlauts at the same time

Hello,

I followed the wiki article to install the japanese characters on my new squeezebox touch. Now all the japanese characters are displayed correctly but now the german Umlaut (ń÷Ř─Í▄ and ▀) are shown as little boxes. Is there a font that supports both, japanese and german?

Stephan (Germany)

Where are you seeing the issue with german character ?
    Just asking so that maybe some people can figure this out. Maybe it's an character encoding issue.

Japanese characters not displayingcorrectly

You might want to give Google's Droid font a try.

--

Michael

Droid font

Hello,

thank you for your replies.

With the FreeSans fonts, the german Umlaut characters are shown ok, but the japanese characters are shown as little boxes. With the DroidSansFallback font it is just the opposite. I tried it with the newest version of this font.
    I think that the Umlauts are missing in the Droid font, or they are at a different Location in the font. Perhaps internally the Squeezebox is working with ISO 8859-1 instead of UTF-8. Only the characters up to 127 are identical, but the Umlauts are in the area from 128 to 255. But that are only speculations.
    I tried to install the DroidSansFallback font on my Windows 7 computer, but that ended in an error message. So I can't look into the font file which characters are contained and which not.

Perhaps somebody has a suggestion what I can try.

Stephan

Unfortunately I already had the same problem with the Controller.
    It looks like their are not so many people using German and Asian language and have deeper knowledge regarding Squeezebox.
    However, if anybody finds a solution I am also still interested

Japanese characters not displayingcorrectly

> It looks like their are not so many people using German and Asian
    > language and have deeper knowledge regarding Squeezebox.

German is the second most important market for us. What issues do you have with German language on the Touch?

--

Michael

Asian characters not displaying correctly together with Umlauts

As mentioned from swessel:

Quote Originally Posted by swessel View Post
    With the FreeSans fonts, the german Umlaut characters are shown ok, but the japanese characters are shown as little boxes. With the DroidSansFallback font it is just the opposite. I tried it with the newest version of this font.
    Additionally I think this should work without the need of installing a new font as many user might not know how to work it out or just don't want to spend the time on it. I was very astonished that Touch does not display Asian letters as it is based on Linux and UTF8 and the Boom was doing it!

Even worse, after changing the server to the Touch also the Boom does not show Asian letters anymore. Like this it is not usable for me.

I tagged my whole music library UTF8. Especially for my wife, as she is Korean.