Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Tagging Compilations to work for SBS/iTunes/iPhone?

Have anyone succeded with this challenge?
    I can't be the only one facing this problem.

The idea is that artists that is only present on Compilation albums should be listed in your Artist-listings.

iTunes and SBS is quite straight forward:
    In iTunes: Set Compilation=1(yes) and Album Artist=Various Artists
    In SBS: check the option to not include Compilation Artist in Artist listings

The Problem is iPhone/iPod touch (since day one, all "old" ipod's works as expected):
    To trick iPhone/iPod you have to set a SortArtist tag to push the Compilations Artist to the bottom of your list, SortArtist=99999-%artist%
    This makes the iPhone to at least move these one-hit-wonders out of the way to prevent the artist list to be overly cluttered.

THE PROBLEM:
    When having some artist appearing on both Compilation (SortArtist=9999-%artist%) and their own original albums (SortArtist=null).
    SBS removes the artist from the main list and sorts the artist ONLY under 9999-%artist%, however the tracks tagged with that sorting attribute were omitted from the Artist listning since they were compilations, leaving now only the original Albums here.
    This mean that my Artist list shows in Alphabetical order all Artists that doesn't appear on a compilation. And then in the numerical section, in alphabetical order again, all Artist that appears on a both original and compilation albums (This is NOT as expected). There are no artists that only appears on a compilation (this is as expected).

Do anyone have a solution to this, another strategy perhaps?
    -No, I don't want to throw my iPhone away, but the idea has come to my mind...
    NAS: QNAP TS-459U+ QTS 4.2.6 (4x 2TB, RAID5)
    Services: LMS 8.1.0 by QLMS 2.21.00 QLMS at QNAP club
    Squeezebox: 6x Receiver, 3x Boom, 2x SB3 Classic, 1x Touch
    Controller: Control by Material skin or iPeng, Local music or Spotify by Spotty

MrSinatra
    for SBS and itunes, you do NOT need to set the albumartist tag. you can just set the comp tag, and thats enough for them, (in fact, SBS alone doesn't even need that).

assuming iphone will then sort by albumartist tag over a comp tag, just set an AA tag on those you want "at the end." ie. "ZZZ Comps"

i'm not sure i fully understand your situation, but maybe the above will fix your issue. there are also AA sort tags.

also, be aware of this bug:

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=9523

it prob doesn't apply tho if you have explicit comp tags.

Unfortunatly the iPod app in iPhone/iPod touch is just a mess with no options when it comes to tagging. Quite surprisngly since I thought that was one of the main feature of these devices.

in iPhone:
    The Artist list doesn't consider any Album Artist tags, but the now playing screen show Album Artist info (so the tag is read). The famous coverflow mode treats compilations correctly (sorted under Various Artist), but that is not a artist list, its more of a visual album listing.

So to my findings I can only play with the Artist-tag and SortArtist-tag when I want to change the behavior in iPhone.

in iTunes:
    the Album Artist are set to Various Artist as you set the Compilation=yes

I use the SortAlbum-tag to make my albums to show in reverse Cronological order for each Artist, this works fine for all solutions: SBS (Web/Controller/iPeng),iPhone, iTunes.

MrSinatra
    Quote Originally Posted by jasell View Post
    Unfortunatly the iPod app in iPhone/iPod touch is just a mess with no options when it comes to tagging. Quite surprisngly since I thought that was one of the main feature of these devices.

in iPhone:
    The Artist list doesn't consider any Album Artist tags, but the now playing screen show Album Artist info (so the tag is read). The famous coverflow mode treats compilations correctly (sorted under Various Artist), but that is not a artist list, its more of a visual album listing.

So to my findings I can only play with the Artist-tag and SortArtist-tag when I want to change the behavior in iPhone.
    sounds to me like iphone then is not yet ready for prime time.

in iTunes:
    the Album Artist are set to Various Artist as you set the Compilation=yes
    i do not think this is correct, but i could be wrong. i have limited itunes exp, but i have seen plenty of files with the comp tag and no AA tag in itunes. also, are you conflating "Various Artists" and "Compilations"? maybe i am...

anyway, it may DISPLAY that way, ie. itunes puts it there in the app, but i do NOT think it actually adds that string to the tag for the AA field.

in other words, grab puddletag and actually LOOK in the TAGS to see what info the files have. do not trust itunes to show/tell you.

I use the SortAlbum-tag to make my albums to show in reverse Cronological order for each Artist, this works fine for all solutions: SBS (Web/Controller/iPeng),iPhone, iTunes.
    so what is the issue?

Yes, the iPod app was a quick-and-dirty job from apple, even there are numerous threads about thisin Aplle forum (many years old) they have still not fixed it. They created cover flow and then they where happy.
    The best workaround is to use the SortArtist-tag, which unfortunatly seems to be hard to combine with SBS.

You are correct about tags and iTunes, I use a combination of Foobar and MP3tag set all my tags and ensure they are written only once acording one standard. I have a function in MP3tag that do the tagging for Various Artist and Compilations.

When I created my MP3taging scripts my findings was that the Various Artist information was required by iTunes to work correct, if SBS doesn't consider it and iPhone doesn't either we can rule it out anyway.

The SortAlbum info was just for information...