Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Unhappy Radio streaming stops intermittently

Hi all

I'm having problems with internet radio / streaming.

My setup is a Windows XP PC running Squeezebox server Version: 7.5.1

The PC is wired directly to the router.

I have 2x wireless Squeezebox Classics running firmware version 130 and a wireless Squeezebox Boom running firmware version 50.

As far as I can tell... when I'm playing locally hosted MP3s from the PC there is no problem.

When I play BBC Radio 1 / Radio 2, it is prone to stopping. I am using the BBC iPlayer plugin and I am in the UK.

I did have all three synchronised, but I unsynchronised the one upstairs to see if that was the issue. It still stops intermittently.

Sometimes it will stop for 5-10 minutes or more and then randomly burst in to life. Today I was having dropouts for maybe 2-3 seconds every 30 seconds or so.

I think I've also had issues when streaming from Last.fm although this seems much more stable.

My internet connection is provided by Virgin (cable) at 10mbps. I used to have a ~3mb ADSL connection at my old house and did not have any of the problems I am having now.

Can someone please recommend the next course of action?

Also... I've just checked the server log and there are hundreds if not thousands of the following entries:

[10-10-08 18:49:16.1013] Slim::Networking::IO::Select::__ANON__ (146) Error: Select task failed calling Slim::Web::HTTP::sendStreamingResponse: illegal file descriptor or filehandle (either no attached file descriptor or illegal value): at /<C:\PROGRA~1\SQUEEZ~2\server\SqueezeSvr.exe>Slim/Networking/IO/Select.pm line 149.

May not be related but it's clearly not liking something.

Many thanks, Phil

determine if it's just BBC iPlayer or all streaming ?

Listen to some other station like radio paradise or something from staff picks
    or pick something else that's popular .
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Rasbery PI digi+ MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Loggia: Raspi hifiberry dac + Adams
    Bathroom : Radio (with battery)
    iPad with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server Intel NUC Esxi VM Linux mint 18 LMS 7.9.2

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

The BBC has had streaming problem in recent past - there are some things you may do to minimise the issue such as using an alternative format or increasing buffer but you should first characterise the problem.

As Mnyb suggested - first determine if it is a BBC only problem. Since you have two different sort of gaps - you may have more than one problem each with similar symptoms.

Are the players wired ? When using the plugin and AAC format you are streaming Flac to all players and if they are synchronised then you may be having network problems if there is other burst of other wireless traffic or a burst of interference.

Does it happen with Live or "Listen Again" or both ?
    Are you using the AAC or WMA streams ?

Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    The BBC has had streaming problem in recent past - there are some things you may do to minimise the issue such as using an alternative format or increasing buffer but you should first characterise the problem.

As Mnyb suggested - first determine if it is a BBC only problem. Since you have two different sort of gaps - you may have more than one problem each with similar symptoms.

Are the players wired ? When using the plugin and AAC format you are streaming Flac to all players and if they are synchronised then you may be having network problems if there is other burst of other wireless traffic or a burst of interference.

Does it happen with Live or "Listen Again" or both ?
    Are you using the AAC or WMA streams ?
    Oh it transcodes to FLAC then he must try to stream FLAC files from local server, just rip a CD as flac .
    FLAC is ca 800kbps .
    And try wired.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Rasbery PI digi+ MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Loggia: Raspi hifiberry dac + Adams
    Bathroom : Radio (with battery)
    iPad with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server Intel NUC Esxi VM Linux mint 18 LMS 7.9.2

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Internet Radio Re-buffering.

I have 4 logitec player products on a network and I use a ReadyNAS with the latest squeezecenter software. My internet connection is very fast ADSL2+.

All internet radio stations on any player are unusable because of re-buffering. BBC World Service is better than Radio 4. I copied the URL used by the players for Radio 4 form my squeezecenter and connected by a browser. This is also unusable.

On a computer BBC radio 4 Listen Live is fine.

It would seem that the URL's used by the players are all congested but this seems most unlikely as there is no station which is satisfactory even at 4 am in the morning.

I have a feeling there is something about the protocol used by the players is somehow incompatible with my network or indeed my ISP.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Sowter View Post
    I have a feeling there is something about the protocol used by the players is somehow incompatible with my network or indeed my ISP.
    Are you in the UK or not ? URLs are different and mismatching can cause problems.

The PC Listen Live through iPlayer will be using AAC whereas if you are using the URL from BBC - they are WMA.

Which URLs are you using ?
    Are you using the iPlayer plugin as this will give you a choice between AAC and WMA ?

What sort of players are you using ?
    Are they wired or wireless ?

Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    Are you in the UK or not ? URLs are different and mismatching can cause problems.

The PC Listen Live through iPlayer will be using AAC whereas if you are using the URL from BBC - they are WMA.

Which URLs are you using ?
    Are you using the iPlayer plugin as this will give you a choice between AAC and WMA ?

What sort of players are you using ?
    Are they wired or wireless ?
    Hi. I am in Winchester UK. I have both wired and wireless players problem is the same on either.

URL from Transporter is: URL: http://opml.radiotime.com/Tune.ashx?...g&partnerId=16. Listen Live on PC is: www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/bbc_radio_fourfm.

i dont think I am using an Iplayer plug in How can I tell?

How can I change streams' Buffer size and Alternative formats etc?
    Thanks for your help. B.

Hi. I am in Winchester UK. I have both wired and wireless players problem is the same on either.

URL from Transporter is: URL: http://opml.radiotime.com/Tune.ashx?...g&partnerId=16. Listen Live on PC is: www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/bbc_radio_fourfm.

Thanks for your help. B.
    I just forunf the IPlayer addon and selectsd AAC. It is just the same Rebuffering all the time.
    B

Thanks for your help. B.
    You could try installing the iplayer plugin (go to the web settings page, plugins, recommended 3rd party plugins and it should be in the list)

This uses the same streams as the desktop iplayer by default and so may be better just because it is using alternative streams.

Quote Originally Posted by Triode View Post
    You could try installing the iplayer plugin (go to the web settings page, plugins, recommended 3rd party plugins and it should be in the list)

This uses the same streams as the desktop iplayer by default and so may be better just because it is using alternative streams.
    Hi
    I have now tried reloading BBC Iplayer and it makes no difference. Even using MySqueezebox.com. I have a PIX 501 hardware firewall between my network and the internet. I am wondering now if this is somehow effecting the packet transport in some way.
    B.