Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pitastic

Pitastic

https://www.raspberrypi.org/

Haven't yet read the puff

Quote Originally Posted by Man in a van View Post
    https://www.raspberrypi.org/

Haven't yet read the puff

I saw the announcement the other day. The increased RAM versions should be ideal for an LMS server with storage via USB3
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom
    Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
    Everything controlled by iPeng

I wish they'd add a S/PDIF output. That 1/8" jack could easily be a combo mini-optical/analog.

Quote Originally Posted by Apesbrain View Post
    I wish they'd add a S/PDIF output. That 1/8" jack could easily be a combo mini-optical/analog.
    I use one of these for that job
    https://hifime.uk/DACs/sabre-dac-uae23
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom

Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    I use one of these for that job
    https://hifime.uk/DACs/sabre-dac-uae23
    Sure, just as I use a HiFiBerry HAT, but how much more elegant it would be to just put S/PDIF on the board!

I saw the announcement the other day. The increased RAM versions should be ideal for an LMS server with storage via USB3
    My Pi3 works perfectly as an LMS server. And I've got an old Pi1 running as a player.
    The extra capability of the Pi4 is welcome for lots of applications, but not really relevant to us.
    Transporter -> ATC SCM100A

Quote Originally Posted by cliveb View Post
    My Pi3 works perfectly as an LMS server. And I've got an old Pi1 running as a player.
    The extra capability of the Pi4 is welcome for lots of applications, but not really relevant to us.
    I slightly disagree. The weak point of the Pi to date has been the shared bus for the LAN & USB. In normal use it doesn't show itself but if you run 24/7 and have a bunch of synced players connected to it then you will notice some "drift" that you don't get with more traditional hardware. If I read correctly the Pi4 has 1. a true Gigabit LAN and 2. USB3 which I don't think share the same bus (yet to see it stated conclusively though). If this is the case a Pi4 with 2GB RAM and some USB3 attached storage will make a great LMS server. Overkill as a player without doubt and anything more than 2GB RAM would be a waste of money for a server. I'll be interested to see how the guys who develop piCorePlayer decide to deal with the increased RAM available.
    Dining Room -> SB Boom

I slightly disagree. The weak point of the Pi to date has been the shared bus for the LAN & USB. In normal use it doesn't show itself but if you run 24/7 and have a bunch of synced players connected to it then you will notice some "drift" that you don't get with more traditional hardware. If I read correctly the Pi4 has 1. a true Gigabit LAN and 2. USB3 which I don't think share the same bus (yet to see it stated conclusively though). If this is the case a Pi4 with 2GB RAM and some USB3 attached storage will make a great LMS server. Overkill as a player without doubt and anything more than 2GB RAM would be a waste of money for a server. I'll be interested to see how the guys who develop piCorePlayer decide to deal with the increased RAM available.
    I agree USB / LAN has been a weak point and the following blog post ( https://blog.hackster.io/meet-the-ne...l-b-9b4698c284 ) seems to indicate that this has been fixed old shared LAN /USB via LAN7515 chip has been replaced by a PCiE bus separating LAN chip from USB bus.

I use MusicIP which can use a lot of RAM so an increase would be very welcome if swap space can be avoided.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

If you have time to check, it would be interesting to know how big your library is (tracks and playing time) and and how long it takes to do a full clear and rescan.